22 10-Feb-24 7:30 PM RINK 1 A Lake Forest   DeMatha  
23 10-Feb-24 8:00 PM RINK 2 A McDowell   Carmel Gold  
24 10-Feb-24 9:15 PM RINK 1 A Bethel Park   Medina  

SUNDAY                
SCHEDULE - MEDAL ROUND          
SUNDAY              
26 11-Feb-24 8:15 AM RINK 1 SEMI        
25 11-Feb-24 8:30 AM RINK 2 SEMI        

NOTE: BRACKET WINNER WITH MOST POINTS IN PRELIMINARY WILL BE HOME TEAM IN SEMI-FINALS                
MONDAY                
27 11-Feb-24 1:15 PM RINK 1 FINAL        

• Like 1

Hi PA Hockey—Would you know of, or possibly provide a link so we could be immediately directed to this High School Hockey Tournament?

I know that I’ve been seeing more and more tournaments in South Bend over the past few years.  From what I’ve seen, their facility looks really awesome. I’ve heard comparisons between ND and PSUs Pegula Ice Arena are pretty close.
It looks like a great place to play and just curious if you had a link. I did a very quick Google search/scan and only found previous year’s results.

17 hours ago, Rewster said:

Hi PA Hockey—Would you know of, or possibly provide a link so we could be immediately directed to this High School Hockey Tournament?

I know that I’ve been seeing more and more tournaments in South Bend over the past few years.  From what I’ve seen, their facility looks really awesome. I’ve heard comparisons between ND and PSUs Pegula Ice Arena are pretty close.
It looks like a great place to play and just curious if you had a link. I did a very quick Google search/scan and only found previous year’s results.

Here's a direct link...updates are usually pretty slow.

http://pahockey.pahockey.net/organizations/4098/announcements/2357206-2024-National-Invitational-Scholastic-Showcase-Hoosier-Cup-http://pahockey.pahockey.net/organizations/4098/announcements/2357206-2024-National-Invitational-Scholastic-Showcase-Hoosier-Cup-

• Like 1

SATURDAY

11 10-Feb-24 9:00 AM RINK 2 A North Allegheny 4 Lake Forest 1
12 10-Feb-24 9:15 AM RINK 1 A Peters Twp 3 Carmel Gold 2
10-Feb-24 11:00 AM RINK 2 NOTRE DAME
13 10-Feb-24 11:00 AM RINK 1 A Edina 10 DeMatha 2
14 10-Feb-24 12:45 PM RINK 2 A Culver 4 Bethel Park 0
15 10-Feb-24 1:00 PM RINK 1 A Medina 1 McDowell 3
20 10-Feb-24 5:45 PM RINK 1 A Peters Twp 0 Edina 2
21 10-Feb-24 6:15 PM RINK 2 A Culver 1 North Allegheny 3
22 10-Feb-24 7:30 PM RINK 1 A Lake Forest 8 DeMatha 2
23 10-Feb-24 8:00 PM RINK 2 A McDowell 2 Carmel Gold 3 SO
24 10-Feb-24 9:15 PM RINK 1 A Bethel Park 4 Medina 1

SUNDAY
SCHEDULE  MEDAL ROUND
SUNDAY
26 11-Feb-24 8:15 AM RINK 1 SEMI #1 Edina #4 Peters Twp
25 11-Feb-24 8:30 AM RINK 2 SEMI #2 North Allegheny #3 Lake Forest

NOTE: BRACKET WINNER WITH MOST POINTS IN PRELIMINARY WILL BE HOME TEAM IN SEMI-FINALS
27 11-Feb-24 1:15 PM RINK 1 FINAL TBD TBD

National Invitational Scholastic Showcase – Hoosier Cup
2024 Tournament Schedule Rink 1 = Lefty Smith 2/6/2024 9:53
Compton Ice Arena Rink 2 = Olympic Rink
FRIDAY
Medina 2 Peters Twp 5
DeMatha 6 McDowell 2
Carmel Gold 1 North Allegheny 2
Culver 0 Edina 2
Bethel Park 3 Lake Forest 6
PRELIMINARY ROUND
SATURDAY
North Allegheny 4 Lake Forest 1
Peters Twp 3 Carmel Gold 2
Edina 10 DeMatha 2
Culver 4 Bethel Park 0
Medina 1 McDowell 3
Peters Twp 0 Edina 3
Culver 1 North Allegheny 3
Lake Forest 8 DeMatha 2
McDowell 2 Carmel Gold 3 SO
Bethel Park 4 Medina 1

SUNDAY
SCHEDULE  MEDAL ROUND
SUNDAY
SEMI #1 Edina 4 #4 Peters Twp 3 OT

1. North Allegheny 3 #3 Lake Forest 2

NOTE: BRACKET WINNER WITH MOST POINTS IN PRELIMINARY WILL BE HOME TEAM IN SEMI-FINALS
MONDAY
#1 Edina 1 #2 North Allegheny 0 (2 OT)

On 2/9/2024 at 9:44 PM, Rewster said:

Compton is a first class facility and you can compare all you want to just about any college facility in the country. People have come from IND, ILL, CAL, MINN, MICH, OHIO, MD EPA and WPA and all seem to treasure the experience of Notre Dame the campus facility and town. The Hoosier Cup will be move to January hopefully and fill up for years to come.  Semis and Final were awesome yesterday all decided by one goal and/or OT.

• Like 1

Edina High School (Minnesota) is as legitimate of a high school hockey program as there is. I remember seeing a thread about someone saying that they routinely have 100-150 players come out for tryouts each year. I don’t remember the details, and from what I’ve heard, this team that won the Hoosier Tournament (pictured above) is not the high school’s top team. Does anyone have any other information?

It blows my mind to recognize how much hockey talent is produced in the state of Minnesota each year…and their players are getting D1 offers straight out of HS. No need to play amateur hockey, or (in a lot of cases) really no need to play junior hockey.

This is their Junior Gold A team.  MN also has Junior Gold B.  From my understanding, these consist of players who did not make their Varsity or JV teams.  My son has played against a few of them and from what I have seen, the top JGA teams are typically competitive with WPA's top PIHL teams.

If you look at JGA MHR, Edina is ranked number one in MN and has a 88.91 rating.  They beat NA (88.46) in 2OTs, so I guess in this case, MHR is pretty accurate.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, sarampage said:

This is their Junior Gold A team.  MN also has Junior Gold B.  From my understanding, these consist of players who did not make their Varsity or JV teams.  My son has played against a few of them and from what I have seen, the top JGA teams are typically competitive with WPA's top PIHL teams.

If you look at JGA MHR, Edina is ranked number one in MN and has a 88.91 rating.  They beat NA (88.46) in 2OTs, so I guess in this case, MHR is pretty accurate.

Wow! I had no idea that it was that big! 
So, would you say (if you were to put the teams in competitive classification order; or from top to bottom: Varsity>Junior Varsity>Junior Gold A>Junior Gold B?

-or-

1.) Varsity

2.) Junior Varsity 

3.) Junior Gold ‘A’

4.) Junior Gold ‘B’

Just to be clear with what I am learning…You’re saying that if we took the best AAA High School team in Western Pennsylvania (Pittsburgh) PIHL; they would obviously get their doors blown off by atop end Varsity squad (i.e. Edina Varsity) without any doubt…then they would most likely lose by 2-3+ goals to their ‘traditional’ Junior Varsity team…and only maybe then, they would have a competitive game against the high school’s “Team #3,” or the Junior Gold ‘A’ squad. Which aligns with how things squared up this past weekend—Edina defeated PT in the semifinals in OT 4-3…and also defeated NA 2-1 in double OT.

So, in other words…the Penguins Cup Champion in AAA (or even AA) would be relegated to the equivalent of sub-JV competition if everybody were suddenly reshuffled. That’s saying quite a lot and is very humbling to put it into perspective.

6 hours ago, Rewster said:

So, would you say (if you were to put the teams in competitive classification order; or from top to bottom: Varsity>Junior Varsity>Junior Gold A>Junior Gold B?

-or-

1.) Varsity

2.) Junior Varsity 

3.) Junior Gold ‘A’

4.) Junior Gold ‘B’

Just to be clear with what I am learning…You’re saying that if we took the best AAA High School team in Western Pennsylvania (Pittsburgh) PIHL; they would obviously get their doors blown off by atop end Varsity squad (i.e. Edina Varsity) without any doubt…then they would most likely lose by 2-3+ goals to their ‘traditional’ Junior Varsity team…and only maybe then, they would have a competitive game against the high school’s “Team #3,” or the Junior Gold ‘A’ squad. Which aligns with how things squared up this past weekend—Edina defeated PT in the semifinals in OT 4-3…and also defeated NA 2-1 in double OT.

So, in other words…the Penguins Cup Champion in AAA (or even AA) would be relegated to the equivalent of sub-JV competition if everybody were suddenly reshuffled. That’s saying quite a lot and is very humbling to put it into perspective.

Your assumptions are ok but not very accurate. The Edina team is very good Varsity Team with 16 Seniors and not JV, its a 2nd Varsity Team of one of the most storied legitimate HS programs in  the United States. Also the number of kids at their tryouts is between 125 - 150 Annually. This info is first hand from my conversations from their coaches 

10 hours ago, Rewster said:

-or-

1.) Varsity

2.) Junior Varsity 

3.) Junior Gold ‘A’

4.) Junior Gold ‘B’

https://cdn1.sportngin.com/attachments/document/af77-3058963/What_is_Junior_Gold_Hockey.pdf
https://cdn1.sportngin.com/attachments/document/0022/6821/JuniorGold_FAQ_2012-13.pdf

It doesn't line up exactly that way, it's more of an alternative path. Technically, Jr Gold is 18U and 16U hockey. However, in MN, the emphasis is very much on high school hockey, so you only would play 18U/16U if you do not make a high school team. I am sure that there are exceptions to the rule. In general, JV is better than Jr Gold A and callups would be JV to Varsity like here. If you are cut from the JV team, you play Jr Gold if you want to play hockey still. Jr Gold A players do sometimes end up making varsity teams in later years. I am sure there are Jr Gold A teams that beat JV teams, depending on the high school.

What is not clear to me is whether you have to be in the school district to play on the Jr Gold team. I think their school districts are much larger than here, so probably they do not have "co-op" Jr Gold teams. However, it doesn't seem like it is something that is against the rules.

It also sounds like the JV & Varsity teams are funded by the school districts and Jr Gold teams are not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spear and Magic Helmet said:

What is not clear to me is whether you have to be in the school district to play on the Jr Gold team. I think their school districts are much larger than here, so probably they do not have "co-op" Jr Gold teams. However, it doesn't seem like it is something that is against the rules.

It also sounds like the JV & Varsity teams are funded by the school districts and Jr Gold teams are not.

Yes, you have to live in the school district to play on the Jr Gold teams. They are not funded by the school and are a part of the community based organization. 

• Like 1