PG Stellar 6 - 2024

On 4/2/2024 at 3:19 PM, Spear and Magic Helmet said:

I agree with this. I have seen coverage of the D2 teams here and there. I do think that it is also true that they are ignored to some extent. It's complicated because there are teams like Meadville that have come back from D2. I believe Baldwin was not in good shape for a while either, but I think they only went down to A. Regardless, you would like to see teams have a chance to come back to the "pure" divisions, even if most of them do not.

Most of you do not remember this, but in the 1990s, Connellsville was in AAA due to the size of their school. They were terrible, losing every game by at least 10 goals, once again proving that school size is not the most important factor in whether a school team will be good. The guy who holds the AAA scoring record had something like 20 points in 4 games against them. You would like to have a place for a team like that to exist. I believe that was the original intention of the Open Division as it was called 20 years ago.

You are correct it was pretty bad in the late 90's through the early 2000's as they would only place teams by school size.  I asked for years about changing that.  If I remember correctly, they finally allowed teams to move to the open division if they couldn't compete in their current one. That led to a bunch of teams in the open division.  They do a much better job now getting teams in a division that they can compete in.  It will never be perfect but it is a Ton better

• 100 1

12 minutes ago, Overqualified said:

If you took the top 10 skaters and a goalie from each of the 4 divisions all 4 teams would be pretty equal your not better because of the division you play in high school in

AAA high school isn't like AAA tier 1 like amateurs

When they start a ten player league let me know. And I still think your ten player team from Canevin is at the bottom of AA and would get scorched in AAA. AA and AAA teams draw from very large numbers of kids. AAA and most AA schools are from higher income areas that have more kids that play hockey than kids at lower income schools. They not only have more numbers, but they have more numbers of highly skilled players because of it. Canevin had one kid on a AAA roster this year. A bunch of quality AA players too. Look at the rosters of some of the rosters of some AA teams. Loaded with AAA and AA players. 

23 minutes ago, Overqualified said:

If you took the top 10 skaters and a goalie from each of the 4 divisions all 4 teams would be pretty equal your not better because of the division you play in high school in

That's hilarious.  No, its not like AAA amateur hockey but the depth of the top ten players on the top teams in AAA or AA would smoke the top 10 from teams in the d division or A.  The AAA schools just have a lot more hockey players to choose from giving them more depth most seasons.  There may be some rare instances where that would not be the case but I think they would be rare. 

• 100 1

11 minutes ago, Happy Hockey Fan said:

When they start a ten player league let me know. And I still think your ten player team from Canevin is at the bottom of AA and would get scorched in AAA. AA and AAA teams draw from very large numbers of kids. AAA and most AA schools are from higher income areas that have more kids that play hockey than kids at lower income schools. They not only have more numbers, but they have more numbers of highly skilled players because of it. Canevin had one kid on a AAA roster this year. A bunch of quality AA players too. Look at the rosters of some of the rosters of some AA teams. Loaded with AAA and AA players. 

Wrong about number of AAA players on Canevin 

You shouldn't open your mouth if you don't know the facts there is no way you played at Canevin 

1 minute ago, Overqualified said:

Wrong about number of AAA players on Canevin 

You shouldn't open your mouth if you don't know the facts there is no way you played at Canevin 

Now I get it, you are a player from Canevin. I assure you I played there. I can even tell you almost every coach they have had there since 1984. Know many of them personally. Oldaker, Koch, Timmons, Fedor,  Zielmanski, Vacarro, Pawlus, just to name a few. Not allowed to post players names here. 

I guess I shouldn’t argue with you about how many AAA players are on Canevin’s team because you play for them. But kids that played amateur AA this year, but played amateur AAA previously no longer count as AAA players. They are classified as amateur AA players. So I am sure what ever total you claim it to be, it is a lot lower. 3 of your top 10 scorers played AAA this year. 

Lots of really good players on Canevin’s team. Just not as many as most teams that play PIHL AA. 

I wish you nothing but success going forward. Unfortunately we will never get to see you play those teams. Maybe ask your coach to play in the St. Margaret’s pre-season tournament. 

hopefully I will get to see you play next year. I saw you play this year. And you probably were pretty good. 

3 hours ago, Happy Hockey Fan said:

Now I get it, you are a player from Canevin. I assure you I played there. I can even tell you almost every coach they have had there since 1984. Know many of them personally. Oldaker, Koch, Timmons, Fedor,  Zielmanski, Vacarro, Pawlus, just to name a few. Not allowed to post players names here. 

I guess I shouldn’t argue with you about how many AAA players are on Canevin’s team because you play for them. But kids that played amateur AA this year, but played amateur AAA previously no longer count as AAA players. They are classified as amateur AA players. So I am sure what ever total you claim it to be, it is a lot lower. 3 of your top 10 scorers played AAA this year. 

Lots of really good players on Canevin’s team. Just not as many as most teams that play PIHL AA. 

I wish you nothing but success going forward. Unfortunately we will never get to see you play those teams. Maybe ask your coach to play in the St. Margaret’s pre-season tournament. 

hopefully I will get to see you play next year. I saw you play this year. And you probably were pretty good. 

Canevin has had a great program for a long time at AA and won over 600 Games and 8 Penguins Cups and 4 State Titles.

They can play in Non PIHL Tournaments and compete. It would be nice to see them in AA but would mean the players from Seton LaSalle and Keystone Oaks would have to enroll in Canevin and they would be pure. Commitment to the School and Program. Costs money and can be done. People always want o have things both ways and the reality is the the league has rules to follow. 

Vaccaro played at Ringgold FYI.  

https://teampages.s3.amazonaws.com/documents/534810/CANEVIN2020F.pdf?X-Amz-Algorithm=AWS4-HMAC-SHA256&X-Amz-Credential=AKIA3I4H7LHCZ6EPI72U%2F20240404%2Fus-east-1%2Fs3%2Faws4_request&X-Amz-Date=20240404T012100Z&X-Amz-Expires=21600&X-Amz-SignedHeaders=host&X-Amz-Signature=33768ac2039199d2518fc9347beb05e66e17dfc9bf1a66915549e6c39336e868

10 hours ago, Pa Hockey said:

Canevin has had a great program for a long time at AA and won over 600 Games and 8 Penguins Cups and 4 State Titles.

They can play in Non PIHL Tournaments and compete. It would be nice to see them in AA but would mean the players from Seton LaSalle and Keystone Oaks would have to enroll in Canevin and they would be pure. Commitment to the School and Program. Costs money and can be done. People always want o have things both ways and the reality is the the league has rules to follow. 

Vaccaro played at Ringgold FYI.  

https://teampages.s3.amazonaws.com/documents/534810/CANEVIN2020F.pdf?X-Amz-Algorithm=AWS4-HMAC-SHA256&X-Amz-Credential=AKIA3I4H7LHCZ6EPI72U%2F20240404%2Fus-east-1%2Fs3%2Faws4_request&X-Amz-Date=20240404T012100Z&X-Amz-Expires=21600&X-Amz-SignedHeaders=host&X-Amz-Signature=33768ac2039199d2518fc9347beb05e66e17dfc9bf1a66915549e6c39336e868

I still don’t think they compete at AA. 

Vaccaro also played at Duquesne. So did Zielmanski who also played at Central. And Timmons and Fedor played at Canevin. Timmons at CMU and Fedor at Pitt. And Pawlus played at Canevin and YSU. All very good players. Timmons was outstanding.  FYI. But I have no idea what that has to do with this discussion. 

17 hours ago, Overqualified said:

That does nothing to advance what this discussion has been about...  The argument was never that there are not quality players at the D2 level, it was that those players numbers are inflated because of the competition level at that division.  The way that I've understood what has been argued is that the D2 players point totals would regress towards the mean when faced with a higher level of competition.  It is nearly impossible to compare player stats across levels.  

This whole thing reminds of when I coached and parents would be telling me how good a player is by quoting the number of goals, or points, a player has (all of which where always outrageous numbers) but then when I would look into what level the player was playing at I almost always found out they were doing it on a team playing at a low level of competition.  The point of reference is what is most important in a discussion like this.  

• Like 1
  • 100 1