Fair Play Points

Just looking at the way to early to care PAHL standings this morning.  It is interesting how the Fair Play Points seem to be the worst at 14U and 18U.  Haven't added them up exactly but looking at them it seems like a pretty strong trend.  Might have to try to do a more extensive analysis.  Also I believe it is impossible to have more FP points than games played!  There are 2 teams that have more FPP than games played.

3 hours ago, hockeyisgreat said:

Just looking at the way to early to care PAHL standings this morning.  It is interesting how the Fair Play Points seem to be the worst at 14U and 18U.  Haven't added them up exactly but looking at them it seems like a pretty strong trend.  Might have to try to do a more extensive analysis.  Also I believe it is impossible to have more FP points than games played!  There are 2 teams that have more FPP than games played.

PAHL is still doing FPP?? What garbage.  Esp. at 18uAA with the longer games.  Almost impossible to stay under the limit.  Glad the kids aren't in those ages anymore LOL

Edited by Wes
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, hockeyisgreat said:

Very interesting in 18U.  The lower the  division the less FPP .  AA 82% of games get FPP , A Major 73% and A Minor down to 64%.  So the higher the level of play the less penalties per game!  Are FPP unique to PAHL?  Does anyone know the history of the FPP?

Actually, not very interesting at all.  The higher skilled AA is focused on playing the game while the lower levels result in neanderthal type players running around with violent or lazy penalties because they can't keep up.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hockeyisgreat said:

Very interesting in 18U.  The lower the  division the less FPP .  AA 82% of games get FPP , A Major 73% and A Minor down to 64%.  So the higher the level of play the less penalties per game!  Are FPP unique to PAHL?  Does anyone know the history of the FPP?

Interesting, but it doesn't surprise me.   The skill level goes down at each level so their ability to make proper plays goes down.  Leads to more penalties.

was actually just part of a discussion about FPP. What happens is, apparently Sports Engine has a selector to add FPP points after the manager has entered all the games stats. And this selector has more options than what should ever be selected. The only options should be 1  0 -1. so some managers have been confused and enter 2 if they tie or 3 if they win. this leads to more FPP than games played. 

2 hours ago, Wes said:

PAHL is still doing FPP?? What garbage.  Esp. at 18uAA with the longer games.  Almost impossible to stay under the limit.  Glad the kids aren't in those ages anymore LOL

to think that an 18U team can't stay under 8 penalties a game is bit overdramatic don't you think? now if someone takes a 10, yea, the team is screwed, but how often should these kids be taking 10s?

the issue with FPPs isn't so much that they exist, it's that they don't serve the intended purpose.  Any team losing FPP consistently you can pretty much be sure that there is one maybe two kids who are just running around out of control. if the teammates call them out on it, the kid will say they are being bullied. if the coach benches the kid, the parents complain their kid is being targeted unfairly. it's so sad, but so true. I know of parents who have filmed practices and sent footage to coaches of every "infraction" they see as a point to prove their special snowflake was justified in two hand chopping someone.

i'd rather them just get rid of the FPP and come up with a stricter suspension code. stop punishing the kids who do nothing wrong and just get rid of the problem.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, miked said:

was actually just part of a discussion about FPP. What happens is, apparently Sports Engine has a selector to add FPP points after the manager has entered all the games stats. And this selector has more options than what should ever be selected. The only options should be 1  0 -1. so some managers have been confused and enter 2 if they tie or 3 if they win. this leads to more FPP than games played. 

to think that an 18U team can't stay under 8 penalties a game is bit overdramatic don't you think? now if someone takes a 10, yea, the team is screwed, but how often should these kids be taking 10s?

the issue with FPPs isn't so much that they exist, it's that they don't serve the intended purpose.  Any team losing FPP consistently you can pretty much be sure that there is one maybe two kids who are just running around out of control. if the teammates call them out on it, the kid will say they are being bullied. if the coach benches the kid, the parents complain their kid is being targeted unfairly. it's so sad, but so true. I know of parents who have filmed practices and sent footage to coaches of every "infraction" they see as a point to prove their special snowflake was justified in two hand chopping someone.

i'd rather them just get rid of the FPP and come up with a stricter suspension code. stop punishing the kids who do nothing wrong and just get rid of the problem.

a few years ago when my son played 18uAA both teams would usually be in the 10-16 min range of penalties.  FPP were often the diff between making the playoffs and not.  Just glad we're not in that muck anymore.

Edited by Wes