Pittsburgh Predators Tier 1 18U AAA

Did they play in the AHL parity weekend? Maybe they fared poorly enough that they folded it up? (Yeah, right. Like they'd pass up the easy $$$)

On another note, the 18 Icemen played in the parity weekend and went without a goal scored in 4 games. Shorter games, but still scoreless. Good luck.

32 minutes ago, sadday4hockey said:

Did they play in the AHL parity weekend? Maybe they fared poorly enough that they folded it up? (Yeah, right. Like they'd pass up the easy $$$)

On another note, the 18 Icemen played in the parity weekend and went without a goal scored in 4 games. Shorter games, but still scoreless. Good luck.

It's THF they both play in. AHL is their AA counterpart. 

The same Icemen 18 team (16U last season) that got crushed in Mid AMs by the Lowly Tier 2 PAHL 16UAA teams?

That is the definition of MONEY GRAB.  Masquerading as AA but really A Major.  But, if those kids and parents are happy, then that is all that matters I guess.

Except for that 09 Icemen team, the rest are just pretenders and everyone knows it.

28 minutes ago, Duster19 said:

The same Icemen 18 team (16U last season) that got crushed in Mid AMs by the Lowly Tier 2 PAHL 16UAA teams?

That is the definition of MONEY GRAB.  Masquerading as AA but really A Major.  But, if those kids and parents are happy, then that is all that matters I guess.

Except for that 09 Icemen team, the rest are just pretenders and everyone knows it.

Yea it really is a shame what they do. I'd think that "AAA" 18U team would be in the bottom half of PAHL AA.

My POV is irrelevant, as my kid aged out, but why do you give a flying F what other people do? You all spend so much time bitching about "other" orgs. Either 1. Little Johny didn't make one of those teams or 2. You need to do it to make yourself feel better. Either way, can't you just be happy kids are doing what they love and are clearly happy cause if they were not, they would not continue to do it. You don't think a 17 or 18 year old makes their own decisions as it relates to hockey at this point?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ice is cold said:

My POV is irrelevant, as my kid aged out, but why do you give a flying F what other people do? You all spend so much time bitching about "other" orgs. Either 1. Little Johny didn't make one of those teams or 2. You need to do it to make yourself feel better. Either way, can't you just be happy kids are doing what they love and are clearly happy cause if they were not, they would not continue to do it. You don't think a 17 or 18 year old makes their own decisions as it relates to hockey at this point?

Unfortunately all the independent/“faux AAA” teams impact the other players and families who would love to play a good, competitive, LOCAL schedule. That is why people get frustrated with organizations like Icemen that take some talent and travel all over the place instead of playing PAHL.

• Like 5
  • 100 1

4 hours ago, YardSale said:

Unfortunately all the independent/“faux AAA” teams impact the other players and families who would love to play a good, competitive, LOCAL schedule. That is why people get frustrated with organizations like Icemen that take some talent and travel all over the place instead of playing PAHL.

My response to that would be, why should they do what you want them to do to make your life better?

Some kids, who realize their lives beyond 18u is club hockey still want to be challenged, travel, and not play against the same kids they play in PIHL every week. Some kids don't want practices that are bare because kids would rather go to a football game or hang out a Sheetz vs go to practice. 

I was a D1 full ride athlete, growing up, if I was on some of the PAHL teams.i have witnessed,. with kids not dedicated, my dad would have yanked me and found somewhere to challenge me, hold me accountable and help me grow as a person. I learned more as a player and human on a team who didn't win one game. My coach was the best I ever had. I learned to lose with grace, push myself, help my teammates get better and not bitch,.blame others or complain. It was the team and season that propelled me to one of the top in the country. But I guess I could have played somewhere else to make all the other families happy....

Edited by ice is cold
Spelling
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, ice is cold said:

My response to that would be, why should they do what you want them to do to make your life better?

Some kids, who realize their lives beyond 18u is club hockey still want to be challenged, travel, and not play against the same kids they play in PIHL every week. Some kids don't want practices that are bare because kids would rather go to a football game or hang out a Sheetz vs go to practice. 

I was a D1 full ride athlete, growing up, if I was on some of the PAHL teams.i have witnessed,. with kids not dedicated, my dad would have yanked me and found somewhere to challenge me, hold me accountable and help me grow as a person. I learned more as a player and human on a team who didn't win one game. My coach was the best I ever had. I learned to lose with grace, push myself, help my teammates get better and not bitch,.blame others or complain. It was the team and season that propelled me to one of the top in the country. But I guess I could have played somewhere else to make all the other families happy....

While i may not be as decorated as you, I played very good college hockey.  When I played, hockey in the area was not what it is now.  I played Am Pens and spent most of my time in Buffalo. While I do not regret that time, I would have loved the chance to play 20 games In the Pittsburgh area then play 30-40 in other locations.  I always LOVED playing the Hornets because I got to play all my friends and have some good, healthy physical hockey against people I knew.  I firmly believe all of these teams that could play a 20 game PAHL AA schedule here, but don’t, are a detriment to hockey improvement in our region.  I believed this in the ‘90s, and still believe it now.  

46 minutes ago, ice is cold said:

Let’s also be clear, none of those Icemen and lower “AAA” team players are getting full rides anywhere.

54 minutes ago, ice is cold said:

There is a massive difference between playing legitimate tier 1 hockey with the hopes to move on, and the circus that the icemen put on.

You say they are getting better practices, but I have a hard time believing that as there are a handful of tier 2 coaches at the 14U, 16U and 18U level that are top notch.

If the icemen want to travel to play teams outside of Pittsburgh, at least call it what it is. Label the team AA and travel to play AA and A major teams. They run a ploy to deceive parents and players into thinking they are playing AAA, just to get them to pay the premium that would come along with a legit AAA program.

11 minutes ago, YardSale said:

Let’s also be clear, none of those Icemen and lower “AAA” team players are getting full rides anywhere.

Let's also be clear. Club hockey is no joke and if that is an aspiration, you need to put in the time, have th right coaching, have the dedication and drive at most teams. 

I have only met a few families who are delusional in my time as a parent... And to get a D1 scholarship.for hockey,  you knew at 14...and still have to put in time at juniors. 

Ams where did I say I played hockey? Any sport teaches life lessons, skills outside of sports, and ALL sports have leagues outside of their  backyard. 

3 minutes ago, Icebucket said:

There is a massive difference between playing legitimate tier 1 hockey with the hopes to move on, and the circus that the icemen put on.

You say they are getting better practices, but I have a hard time believing that as there are a handful of tier 2 coaches at the 14U, 16U and 18U level that are top notch.

If the icemen want to travel to play teams outside of Pittsburgh, at least call it what it is. Label the team AA and travel to play AA and A major teams. They run a ploy to deceive parents and players into thinking they are playing AAA, just to get them to pay the premium that would come along with a legit AAA program.

I'm speaking for all these faux teams you speak of. Again, let people make their own choices. Why do you care so much what other people do? Usually people who do that are jealous or just don't understand. Let the kids play where they want. Let the parents pay what they want. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Icebucket said:

So kids who don't want to play pens or esmark,  or pay those fees which are considerably higher, should just go play PAHL?  There are a lot of kids I have seen who could make those teams, but those fees and the.commitment, taking away PIHL for one, is not for everyone either.... 

1 minute ago, ice is cold said:

I'm speaking for all these faux teams you speak of. Again, let people make their own choices. Why do you care so much what other people do? Usually people who do that are jealous or just don't understand. Let the kids play where they want. Let the parents pay what they want. 

I guess it's more the deception that irks me. I'm all for letting people do what they want, but I find a problem with families who are being tricked into paying a premium for such a poor product.

Again, they should sell it as a low end AA group who will travel to play instead of playing local. If the parents/players think that sounds good, then go for it.

18 minutes ago, ice is cold said:

Let's also be clear. Club hockey is no joke and if that is an aspiration, you need to put in the time, have th right coaching, have the dedication and drive at most teams. 

I have only met a few families who are delusional in my time as a parent... And to get a D1 scholarship.for hockey,  you knew at 14...and still have to put in time at juniors. 

Ams where did I say I played hockey? Any sport teaches life lessons, skills outside of sports, and ALL sports have leagues outside of their  backyard. 

Ok, I assumed hockey, my fault.  

I still believe we should do everything we can to further hockey in our area and not ship all our talent all over the country to play. Perhaps that is the idealist in me wanting to make things better for the next generation but that is what I believe.

Edited by YardSale
Verbiage

4 minutes ago, Icebucket said:

I guess it's more the deception that irks me. I'm all for letting people do what they want, but I find a problem with families who are being tricked into paying a premium for such a poor product.

Again, they should sell it as a low end AA group who will travel to play instead of playing local. If the parents/players think that sounds good, then go for it.

I think you may see deception... If you look at what all teams share before tryouts,  they are actually the most transparent in that grouping or organizations. Not sure what deception you see or speak of. 

10 minutes ago, YardSale said:

Ok, I implied hockey, my fault.  

I still believe we should do everything we can to further hockey in our area and not ship all our talent all over the country to play. Perhaps that is the idealist in me wanting to make things better for the next generation but that is what I believe.

That wont happen until HS hockey reaches a higher level of play, respect and league management (PIHL). It will take a complete change in mentality from HS, PIAA, PIHL, and amateur teams, staring with Pens Elite (not bringing in players from everywhere but Pittsburgh) and their redic Excel hockey. That's something you can all complain about and I'll be right there with you. 

Edited by ice is cold

2 minutes ago, ice is cold said:

That wont happen until HS hockey reaches a higher level of play, respect and league management (PIHL). It will take a complete change in mentality from HS, PIAA, PIHL, and amateur teams, staring with Pens Elite (not bringing in players from everywhere but Pittsburgh) and their redic Excel hockey. That's something you can all complain about and I'll be right there with you. 

Are you talking split season?

7 minutes ago, ice is cold said:

I’m under no illusion that I have an answer.  My approach is make AA as competitive as possible in this region to entice as many kids as possible to play in it.  You approach is more top-down.  I’d love for that to happen but I don’t see that happening in the near term. I hope I’m wrong.

6 minutes ago, YardSale said:

Are you talking split season?

I don't know the answers. Spilt season, just making HS hockey an actual school vs club sport. Either way, I think there are too many egos and not enough people in the right seats to move it forward at this point. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, YardSale said:

I’m under no illusion that I have an answer.  My approach is make AA as competitive as possible in this region to entice as many kids as possible to play in it.  You approach is more top-down.  I’d love for that to happen but I don’t see that happening in the near term. I hope I’m wrong.

The answer to that is move AA hockey out of PAHL or develop a different structure within PAHL for AA. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a black bear fan, but they beat everyone to that move. They beat PAHL to something they should have and could have owned. 

3 minutes ago, ice is cold said:

I don't know the answers. Spilt season, just making HS hockey an actual school vs club sport. Either way, I think there are too many egos and not enough people in the right seats to move it forward at this point. 

I go back and forth on split season.  I’ve talked to Ohio coaches who hate their situation and think all their kids are at a disadvantage aver other states.  Grass is greener?  I don’t know.  

2 minutes ago, ice is cold said:

The answer to that is move AA hockey out of PAHL or develop a different structure within PAHL for AA. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a black bear fan, but they beat everyone to that move. They beat PAHL to something they should have and could have owned. 

Which part of PAHL AA do you not like?  Is it the fact that all the teams schedule their own independent games instead of having an extended league like BB? 

1 minute ago, YardSale said:

I go back and forth on split season.  I’ve talked to Ohio coaches who hate their situation and think all their kids are at a disadvantage aver other states.  Grass is greener?  I don’t know.  

Everyone move to Minnesota. Lol. They seem to have it right 😁 

I don't think I like split season, but have only witnessed it from the outside. I guess if that is all you know it may not be bad. Then again, it may make it worse.