USA Hockey Nationals: High School Divisions

26 minutes ago, sarampage said:

Bethel Park won it in 2014 and I think Burrell's co--op team made the finals a few years back.  WPA HS teams rarely register for it...

Thanks @sarampage -- I had no idea Bethel Park won Nationals in 2014. Do high school teams need to qualify for Nationals, or can they simply register? Regardless, I'm surprised more Western PA high school teams haven't qualified/registered over the years.

Edited by RegDunlop7

8 minutes ago, sadday4hockey said:

It's typically NOT a strong field. Not to take anything away from the teams but there are typically no teams from Minnesota or New England so.......

Yeah, that's true. Minnesota and New England could have their own high school Nationals haha. I did notice Pope Francis Prep (MA) and Edina (MN) were in the 2021 Nationals field, so maybe better teams are starting to attend?

5 hours ago, RegDunlop7 said:

Yeah, that's true. Minnesota and New England could have their own high school Nationals haha. I did notice Pope Francis Prep (MA) and Edina (MN) were in the 2021 Nationals field, so maybe better teams are starting to attend?

Edina brought their Junior Gold A team, which is what MN schools send to the Notre Dame Tourney.  This year it was Wayzata and Maple Grove.  Their Varsity Teams would crush everyone...that said, a MN HS Junior Gold team has won USA Hockey Nationals in the past...which is saying something since these teams typically consist of players who didn't make Varsity or JV.

As for how they qualify, I've always been confused about it since it's different than Youth Tier 1/2.  This is from USA Hockey's Guidebook:

High School Divisions
Any high school team that is properly registered with USA Hockey as a High School national championship bound team in one of the four divisions (Division I, Division II, Prep School Division, or Girls Division).  Representation from each state will be determined by the state affiliate participating in the tournament.
For districts only, these rules and regulations may be modified for local and state association competition and districts that are composed of a single state, as conditions may require.Player eligibility regulations may not be less restrictive than those governing national championships.

3 hours ago, RegDunlop7 said:

Interesting that the Minnesota schools send their "Junior Gold" teams to Nationals/other tournaments. Just goes to show how Minnesota high school hockey is on another level.

Yep. Just like Culver sends it's JV team to compete in the Hoosier Cup