How is Armstrong ranked 7th in 18u tier 2

They are responsible for reporting scores for tier 2 to my hockey rankings 

Their score goes in immediately 

And don't post other teams for awhile to benefit themselves 

They just posted that they  beat the preds but they didn't 

I'm sure it was a HONEST mistake that will take weeks to fix

They lost to the preds twice 

They tied Np/ lebo/ Allegheny / rennagades

Don't get me wrong they have played good teams but 7th in the country ?

Throw in visiting teams playing at Armstrong’s barn and getting homered by the refs goes into their ranking.  The stupid fair play point is in jeopardy for any visiting team before kids lace up the skates.  It is an absolute joke.  Too bad ballless PAHL stopped posting game stats to indicate penalty minutes for both teams.  Seems anabolic hockey parents were up in arms their kid didn’t get credited for an apple in recent games and PAHL caved.

Usually the penalty minute ratio at Belmont is 3/1 in favor of the visiting team.

• Like 3
  • 100 2

15 minutes ago, fafa fohi said:

Throw in visiting teams playing at Armstrong’s barn and getting homered by the refs goes into their ranking.  The stupid fair play point is in jeopardy for any visiting team before kids lace up the skates.  It is an absolute joke.  Too bad ballless PAHL stopped posting game stats to indicate penalty minutes for both teams.  Seems anabolic hockey parents were up in arms their kid didn’t get credited for an apple in recent games and PAHL caved.

Usually the penalty minute ratio at Belmont is 3/1 in favor of the visiting team.

I think this is also going to cause issues in terms of playoff seeding/who makes the playoffs. Teams wrap up their season this weekend and have no idea where they actually stand because FPP are not accurate with incomplete box scores.

• Like 2

Since the original post was about the Black Bear vs MHR ratings, thought I'd revisit to take a look. Last weekend, the THF Central division playoffs took place in Chicago. No Pittsburgh teams there so there's no real vested interests on this Board probably.

I'll stick to the 18s as that is the age group I'm most familiar with. 9 teams were there competing.

Here's the MHR of the 10 teams:

• 1. Biggby - 94.04
  • 2. RM Roughriders - 93.74
  • 3. Team Illinois - 91.79
  • 4. Colorado Springs - 91.69
  • 5. Tri-State Spartans - 91.59
  • 6. San Jose Sharks - 91.29
  • 7. Soo Indians - 90.74
  • 8. Wasatch - 88.81
  • 9. Indiana - 88.74

Here's the Black Bear Power Rating:

• 1. Biggby - 40
  • 2. RM Roughriders - 34
  • 3. Colorado Springs - 18
  • 4. Team Illinois - 13
  • 5. San Jose Sharks - 12
  • 6. Tri-State - 12
  • 7. Soo Indians - 7
  • 8. Wasatch - 4
  • 9. Indiana - 4

The THF league-specific Krach ratings are ridiculously bad, not going to list those out. Small sample size and very uneven schedules as those with easier schedules tend to be way over-ranked.

Final game was Biggby vs Roughriders, as predicted as a good probability by both rankings. Roughriders won. Other semi-finalists were Team Illinois and Tri-State (who bear Col Springs in OT). Springs seems a bit over-rated in the Black Bear rankings due to an easier schedule.

End result - both rankings did a decent job of identifying the top teams from the bottom, and identifying the likely top 2 (if you were talking about using either rankings to determine regional or national tourney eligibility). MHR, despite its faults, still seems the way to go in my opinion. But as they get more data, both get more accurate and Gunty getting into a pissing match with MHR seems like a pointless waste of energy.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, fafa fohi said:

If we were to eliminate (or neutralize) the names highlighted in this claim and just broaden it with a different location/region where nobody really knows any specifics (i.e. “The Ice Shed in Thunder Bay, ONT” or “The “Cow Castle in Green Bay, WI”), and link it with their local amateur hockey organization…I am sure that I’d be one of many people that would dismiss it as hyperbole, too far-fetched, and absurd to even consider it as having any legitimacy. I’d think, here’s someone that is trying to impress how POd they are with that place and are really making it seem waaay worse than the reality is. But, the sad reality is that it’s 100% true (well, maybe except for the roided out hockey parents…I know nothing thing about that—but I wouldn’t be surprised).

What I do know is, Armstrong/Belmont is a “fair play black hole.” If your team name doesn’t begin with the letter “A,” forget about it. I think that they even tax you some FPPs off the top as soon as you enter the rink…just like they did back in the old country as tribute.

Seriously, this is the only WPA rink that I have ever seen where the guys wearing stripes actually do think that everyone in the stands came to that rink in order to watch them call penalties…on the road team.  It’s like they bait the opposition—especially the unknowing parents—just to instigate verbal aggression the very second anyone from the visiting team sniffles their nose, or squeaks a chirp following their absurdly called penalty. I’ve even seen rookie step-parents get thrown out of there, forced to do the silent walk of shame when they were only doing positive cheering—it was nothing disparaging at all.  The parents were by simply cheering on the refs (albeit sarcastically) when the refs called one of their infamous invisible man penalties, or their crowd-pleaser of, “2:00 minor for tripping…over their own blue line”…on their way to the bench. SMH 

• Like 4