PIHO Falls

Regardless of who schedules you’re still going to have basically the same pool of officials and I don’t see the rates going down. I’m sure they aren’t going to work games for less $. Not in today’s climate with a shortage and inflation at its highest in decades. 

2 minutes ago, deanyoungblood said:

Regardless of who schedules you’re still going to have basically the same pool of officials and I don’t see the rates going down. I’m sure they aren’t going to work games for less $. Not in today’s climate with a shortage and inflation at its highest in decades. 

You are partially correct but consider that PIHO was notorious for charging high administrative fees, which added to the cost that organizations face.

Officials could likely be making the same money (maybe more in some cases) and organizations could be charged way less in administrative fees because there will be no absolutely ridiculous management positions such as Chief Information Office. Give me a break, chief information officer. This and the interim president are examples of arrogance/hubris of the highest level.

3 minutes ago, TheRightCall said:

There is another scheduling option in the area, it is one that has a pretty nice reputation for not fleecing organizations. 

I wonder why PIHO folded, I thought they were the elite of the elite.

I can't speak on how the local orgs were treated by the official's associations, but I did like how PIHO actually scheduled officials for games.

I preferred it over the method other assignors use which was posting all the games on a 'board' where officials could pick them up. Pros and cons both ways but just an observation.

Just now, JerryTime said:

I can't speak on how the local orgs were treated by the official's associations, but I did like how PIHO actually scheduled officials for games.

I preferred it over the method other assignors use which was posting all the games on a 'board' where officials could pick them up. Pros and cons both ways but just an observation.

PIHO threw anyone on a game just to get a slot filled. Ask the Allegheny Badgers.

At least other schedulers look to see who is available and/or qualified for a game, they just dont throw a body on a game and then bill an extra bunch of $$$ for scheduling or phantom evaluations and observations. One official told me that he was evaluated via livebarn and the constructive feedback was that his helmet was not shiny enough.

22 minutes ago, TheRightCall said:

PIHO threw anyone on a game just to get a slot filled. Ask the Allegheny Badgers.

At least other schedulers look to see who is available and/or qualified for a game, they just dont throw a body on a game and then bill an extra bunch of $$$ for scheduling or phantom evaluations and observations. One official told me that he was evaluated via livebarn and the constructive feedback was that his helmet was not shiny enough.

I don’t think the Allegheny Badgers necessarily attracted the best officials. From what I’ve heard they used to have a bad reputation (parents/coaches) which caused most of the better officials to block them from their schedule. Plus it never seemed like the PAHL organizations were the priority. 

also I’m not sure why these orgs sought out PIHO and got fleeced to begin with. Who made those decisions on their respective boards?

The PIHO Monopoly and biggest buddy-buddy officiating system across youth sports finally FALLS! 

After former PIHO Officiating Director and 'highly decorated' AHL Linesmen assaulted a young official earlier this season by throwing sticks and gloves at him mid-game, his former officiating monopoly has finally collapsed. After all, maybe it just takes officials to speak up for themselves after being shafted by PIHO's unreasonable and outrageous officiating fees that also ripped off hockey organizations across the area. A few things I find hilarious about todays announcement is first, PIHO mentioned their "board of directors voted unanimously to cease operations effective immediately." After speaking with multiple members of the PIHO board (schedulers and admin personnel) they all noted that they were blindsided by tonights announcement ceasing PIHO's operation and noted that they never were involved in any vote. One admin member stated that this was a "fu**ing irresponsible decision made today." This just yet again seems to show PIHO's lack of communication and writing up something to the public to "look good" while blindsiding the people who worked for them. 

Needless to say, I am ecstatic that PIHO is no more. There are multiple other amazing scheduling personnel throughout the Pittsburgh area. First, local schedulers who schedule single rinks are great, as they build a person to person relationship with officials (normally because there aren't 500+ officials begging to skate at one rink) and are very simple to communicate with. Also, Alpha Ice Complex currently has an officiating scheduling company that runs circles around PIHO. Not only do they have an officiating scheduling service, but they also have multiple contacts to organizations that run tournaments year around (SuperSeries, HockeyTime, MyHockey, USHL, and PIHL just to name a few). Their staff is very personal, easy to work with, and the best part is, you don't have to wait 4-6 months to get your check. They pay officials monthly while not ripping off organizations with middleman scheduling fees and are very transparent with what they are charging said organizations without the hassle of contracts. Last, not only do they offer officiating scheduling, but also EMT and scorekeeper scheduling for events. Basically a 3-in-1 bonus! 

Today's news is very exciting for the officiating community, as those who knew what was going on with PIHO knows that this means new doors have been opened and new opportunities await. As registration for the upcoming hockey season opens, new officials are ALWAYS encouraged to sign up! Kids, teens and adults! If you are an official and want to join the Alpha Officiating System, be sure to join! 

19 minutes ago, TheRightCall said:

Do the other schedulers actually look who is available though? That’s an honest question because all I see is TBAs go out and it seems like first people to click them get the games. 

6 minutes ago, happygilmore97 said:

The PIHO Monopoly and biggest buddy-buddy officiating system across youth sports finally FALLS! 

After former PIHO Officiating Director and 'highly decorated' AHL Linesmen assaulted a young official earlier this season by throwing sticks and gloves at him mid-game, his former officiating monopoly has finally collapsed. After all, maybe it just takes officials to speak up for themselves after being shafted by PIHO's unreasonable and outrageous officiating fees that also ripped off hockey organizations across the area. A few things I find hilarious about todays announcement is first, PIHO mentioned their "board of directors voted unanimously to cease operations effective immediately." After speaking with multiple members of the PIHO board (schedulers and admin personnel) they all noted that they were blindsided by tonights announcement ceasing PIHO's operation and noted that they never were involved in any vote. One admin member stated that this was a "fu**ing irresponsible decision made today." This just yet again seems to show PIHO's lack of communication and writing up something to the public to "look good" while blindsiding the people who worked for them. 

Needless to say, I am ecstatic that PIHO is no more. There are multiple other amazing scheduling personnel throughout the Pittsburgh area. First, local schedulers who schedule single rinks are great, as they build a person to person relationship with officials (normally because there aren't 500+ officials begging to skate at one rink) and are very simple to communicate with. Also, Alpha Ice Complex currently has an officiating scheduling company that runs circles around PIHO. Not only do they have an officiating scheduling service, but they also have multiple contacts to organizations that run tournaments year around (SuperSeries, HockeyTime, MyHockey, USHL, and PIHL just to name a few). Their staff is very personal, easy to work with, and the best part is, you don't have to wait 4-6 months to get your check. They pay officials monthly while not ripping off organizations with middleman scheduling fees and are very transparent with what they are charging said organizations without the hassle of contracts. Last, not only do they offer officiating scheduling, but also EMT and scorekeeper scheduling for events. Basically a 3-in-1 bonus! 

Today's news is very exciting for the officiating community, as those who knew what was going on with PIHO knows that this means new doors have been opened and new opportunities await. As registration for the upcoming hockey season opens, new officials are ALWAYS encouraged to sign up! Kids, teens and adults! If you are an official and want to join the Alpha Officiating System, be sure to join! 

Well I think we know who this is…

1 minute ago, JerryTime said:

Do the other schedulers actually look who is available though? That’s an honest question because all I see is TBAs go out and it seems like first people to click them get the games. 

To my knowledge and from the sources I have that are involved in scheduling, all games and replies are looked at, however an art goes into it. For example, if ref A1 has 2 games before and a TBA comes out and they put in for it, A1 will be assigned instead of having ref A2 or A3 come up for 1 game. Also, assignors can see what rinks officials are coming from. So for example, if official A2 has a game at rink 1 and will be driving by rink 2 on their way home from their first set of games, then maybe they are more likely to be assigned onto that TBA. Timing of the TBA also has a factor. For example, if an organization schedules a game for tomorrow, a TBA is sent out and more than likely that one is first come, first serve. Lastly, if there is a 10, 12 or low level 14u game, most assignors try to pair up a veteran official with a younger official for developmental reasons. So maybe a veteran official is already assigned that game, if time allows the assignor may wait to see if a younger official is available to pick up that open game. Not everything is perfect, but a lot of thought is put in to it. 

1 minute ago, JerryTime said:

They definitely look and they schedule accordingly for the TBAs. Only admin can see who and how many responded to TBAs, I know a couple of schedulers who use this and they almost always select the most qualified (in there eyes) for the games. Usually loyalty, availability and a good reputation in rinks helps officials to get games. It may not seem like it but if a coach, players, or parents see an official come onto the ice and the collective reaction is "oh no, not him". It is quite likely that the schedulers know this as well. It is not that difficult to have a good reputation as an official, ask some of the more advanced guys for tips or as your scheduler.

• Fist Bump 1

1 hour ago, sadday4hockey said:

So the fleecing of many local amateur hockey associations has finally come to an end. That's great news and it just shows that being a complete hypocrite actually does come back to bite you in the arse. Gotta love Karma, still undefeated.

AMEN brotha! The biggest hypocrite to the game of hockey. 

1 hour ago, TheRightCall said:

There is another scheduling option in the area, it is one that has a pretty nice reputation for not fleecing organizations. 

I wonder why PIHO folded, I thought they were the elite of the elite.

they folded because their director decided to assault an on ice official. 

19 minutes ago, TheRightCall said:

They definitely look and they schedule accordingly for the TBAs. Only admin can see who and how many responded to TBAs, I know a couple of schedulers who use this and they almost always select the most qualified (in there eyes) for the games. Usually loyalty, availability and a good reputation in rinks helps officials to get games. It may not seem like it but if a coach, players, or parents see an official come onto the ice and the collective reaction is "oh no, not him". It is quite likely that the schedulers know this as well. It is not that difficult to have a good reputation as an official, ask some of the more advanced guys for tips or as your scheduler.

I must have a different preference is all. I just don’t want to see AAA/college being assigned purely on TBAs next season. Last minute fills totally get it.

I think they were, but of course with the usual condescending and self-righteous email from them about how they have made these payments a week or two earlier than their "independent contractor agreement" requires. I mean....... come on. You hold all this money for up to 5 months and then tell your employees how lucky they are to be paid what they are owed? It just reiterates and validates what most people think of the PIHO hierarchy which is that they are a bunch of narcissistic primadonas.

Good-bye and good riddance.

• Like 1
  • 100 1

1 hour ago, happygilmore97 said:

They were elite… at screwing organizations and officials over, not paying guys for 6 months plus, lying time after time… pretty elite! 

Do not forget crediting the arrogant and condescending good old boys of the PIHO board for such poor morale within the guys in the trenches skating. Some of them have such big heads they are lucky they can fit in the door of some rinks.

When PIHO lost the Badgers contract, one of the directors said "we are glad we lost it." Yeah right--one of the biggest organizations.

Holy FFFFFFF!!!

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiX_J-Z4cD_AhWYFVkFHbokD40QFnoECBgQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.pihoref.com%2F&usg=AOvVaw2v2afHujVskw5af2Rg3P6y

They scrubbed their entire website. I hate to be a conspiracy theorist (not true, I live for it) but doesn't that seem to send up a bunch of red flags?

For all the organizations which have been left with their $%^& in their hand, wouldn't they be able to file a suit against them for breach of contract? Because they made sure that it was cost-prohibitive for the organizations to get out of the contract.

Could that be why they scrubbed it?

4 minutes ago, dazedandconfused said:

Holy FFFFFFF!!!

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiX_J-Z4cD_AhWYFVkFHbokD40QFnoECBgQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.pihoref.com%2F&usg=AOvVaw2v2afHujVskw5af2Rg3P6y

They scrubbed their entire website. I hate to be a conspiracy theorist (not true, I live for it) but doesn't that seem to send up a bunch of red flags?

For all the organizations which have been left with their $%^& in their hand, wouldn't they be able to file a suit against them for breach of contract? Because they made sure that it was cost-prohibitive for the organizations to get out of the contract.

Could that be why they scrubbed it?

f you really want to access it (the beauty of the Internet archive):

https://web.archive.org/web/20230202020740/https://www.pihoref.com/

It’s funny to me to see everyone trash the former org for whatever reason - some deservedly so - but yet many of these amateur hockey organizations continually renewed contracts with them. If PIHO was such a terrible org run by such terrible people, what does that say about the folks who continued to entrust them and pay them on behalf of their members?  Just funny to me.