RMU hockey

2 hours ago, Corsi said:

Yes, they probably will be behind the programs that I mentioned (except maybe Niagara) but as was pointed out by other members, D1 hockey is the one sport that is not as divided into "have's and have not's".  The Michigan's, Minnesota's, BU's, and Denver's are going to be the programs that recruit the 18 year old's that get drafted in June, but because of the role of junior hockey, teams like Quinnipiac, Union, and Providence can compete and win by bringing in players that are 20-21 years old and compete at a championship level.  RMU could and can compete with those teams, and having better facilities would help with attracting better players.

I agree. The comment about RMU losing to a D3 program doesn't have much weight. I don't see that happening. The D3 programs that were good enough to be D1 programs moved up to D1 a long time ago (St Cloud State, Mercyhurst, RIT, Bemiji State, etc.). The D3 programs left are barely better than ACHA D1 teams, and in fact in many case are not even that good.

Yes, the big-time programs are going to dominate, but with only about 60 NCAA D1 programs any given year, there is just too much talent that RMU won't get some. Not granting the full 18 scholarships and smaller budgets will hurt, of course. The comment about the coaches not being the right staff to get them to a better spot, maybe that is true too. But despite the comments about there being too many Tier 1 programs around, there is still plenty of talent in the US, Canada, and Europe for RMU to fill its roster because of the scarcity of NCAA D1 options. I do think an on-campus rink and better facilities will help. It's not like basketball, where there are hundreds of programs & choices. If this option is a little better, their recruits will get better too.

I am definitely not saying RMU is going to be a top choice for top 10 draft picks, but calling it a "last ditch" is not really true either. The alumni report certainly isn't as impressive as Michigan's or even UMass's, but it's not like there aren't some good players who went to RMU:
https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/alumni.php?tmi=7731

• Like 1

Having a nice on campus facility would be huge for RMU.  While it won't make them a consistent power, it should get them to another level.  I went to school that has a NCAA D1 program and students lined up outside to get into each home game.  Granted, it is a larger school in a much stronger conference (CCHA at the time), but I can't see that happening if the rink was a 10-15 min drive off campus.

20 hours ago, whatever said:

well aren't you just  a ray of sunshine. 

I did some research The Colonials got off to their best start in program history in 2021 at 11-3 and saw themselves ranked within the USCHO Top 20 for much of the season, reaching a program-best #17 in January. At 15-9 overall and 10-5-0 in AHA play, the Colonials earned a West Division title while boasting the AHA Coach of the Year as well as conference MVP, Rookie of the Year, and Defenseman of the Year. The top offensive team in AHA and one of the most prolific in all of college hockey, RMU's 85 goals was one of the highest totals in all of NCAA DI, and their 25% success rate on the power-play was tops in the conference.   -  this happens to be the SAME year the program was ended by the President.   

Schooley's team has reached four AHA title games and raised three championship banners since the start of the decade. After making the program's first-ever trip to the NCAA Tournament via an AHA postseason title in 2013-14, the Colonials ruled the league during the grueling regular season in 2014-15 and 2015-16, winning 24 games in each of those years. 

Additionally - several players from RMU have gone on to play professional hockey on some level.

Then let's talk about the women's program - 4 women played in the Olympics - 2 earning medals. 3 banners for winning CHA and several women drafted into Professional Women's hockey.  

maybe get back to what the had before before asking for new rink on campus.....MAYBE ask the donors for the money to build it, oh wait they don't have many bc its a last resort d1 school to play at...they are barely half full for games now and wanna new rink.... laughable. student busses could take kids down to rmu IF there was big enough interest.  Just no interest.  the Penguin cup finals get more fans then rmu d1. NOT to mention again that they also just redid their locker rooms again from donor money too. 

6 minutes ago, PUCKCOVID19 said:

maybe get back to what the had before before asking for new rink on campus.....MAYBE ask the donors for the money to build it, oh wait they don't have many bc its a last resort d1 school to play at...they are barely half full for games now and wanna new rink.... laughable. student busses could take kids down to rmu IF there was big enough interest.  Just no interest.  the Penguin cup finals get more fans then rmu d1. NOT to mention again that they also just redid their locker rooms again from donor money too. 

You don’t seem to be a fan of RMU hockey. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Happy Hockey Fan said:

You don’t seem to be a fan of RMU hockey. 

im all for it IF they get back to the old them, which I not very certain they will......fill the stands and get back to pre pandemic competition level and attendance.  then pop this kinda question.........    until then nothing wrong with rmu its 5-10 min down the road   

13 hours ago, PUCKCOVID19 said:

im all for it IF they get back to the old them, which I not very certain they will......fill the stands and get back to pre pandemic competition level and attendance.  then pop this kinda question.........    until then nothing wrong with rmu its 5-10 min down the road   

But they have support rn. They should build on the incredible outreach they received to keep the programs. They do need to do what good D1 programs do, and that includes a rink on campus. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Saucey said:

But they have support rn. They should build on the incredible outreach they received to keep the programs. They do need to do what good D1 programs do, and that includes a rink on campus. 

I agree with that. Plus it's not like the rink will come up in a month. It's a years-long plan to get the rink built.

• Like 3