RMU hockey

https://burghhockey.com/rmu-requests-state-grant-for-on-campus-hockey-arena/.      

Robert Morris University has requested a $10 million state funding grant for construction of a new hockey facility.

The RMU request was submitted to the Redevelopment Assistance Capital Program (RACP) program, a state program for “the design, acquisition, and construction of a regional economic, cultural, civic, recreational, and historical improvement project.”

The request details that the grant is for new construction of a 100,000 square foot hockey facility on the RMU campus in Moon Township with two sheets of ice and seating for 2,500. The facility will also have office space and locker rooms for the university’s men’s and women’s hockey teams.

The application for the grant does not guarantee acceptance, and RMU will be competing with other projects from around the region and the state for limited funds. It’s not clear if the university plans to proceed with the arena project if the grant is not obtained. A Robert Morris athletics spokesperson declined to comment on the news.

The programs have played at RMU Island Sports Center in Neville Island since they were founded in the 2004-05 season. That facility being located off campus, its small size and limited ability to upgrade it were factors in RMU deciding to eliminate the hockey programs after the 2020-21 season.

A grassroots local fundraising efforts brought the teams back to life, with the Colonials wrapping up their first season back in action this weekend. The men’s team is finishing its regular season at Air Force, while the women’s team is looking to advance in the CHA playoffs against Mercyhurst.

On 2/24/2024 at 4:07 PM, whatever said:

its small size and limited ability to upgrade it were factors in RMU deciding to eliminate the hockey programs after the 2020-21 season.

Yeah, this may have played a part but the ultimate decision was made by an overzealous egomaniac named Chris Howard looking to fast track himself.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, aaaahockey said:

I'm just curious if they will keep the old sheets open when they switch.  Don't want to lose ice locally. 

I’m sure Black Bear would be very quick to buy the facility and keep it operational.

• Like 3
  • Fear 1
  • Poop 1
  • 100 1

2 hours ago, aaaahockey said:

I'm just curious if they will keep the old sheets open when they switch.  Don't want to lose ice locally. 

If they would get the grant and be able to build a new rink - I would guess they keep the current rink as well.  I believe the facility is profitable for the school.  

13 hours ago, whatever said:

If they would get the grant and be able to build a new rink - I would guess they keep the current rink as well.  I believe the facility is profitable for the school.  

The statement in the Trib explicitly says the following, "The 100,000-square-foot development also would house enhanced training and locker room facilities, offices, plus regional amenities to meet the needs of youth and amateur hockey players."  As soon as this building would open, I would think Black Bear would be waiting with their checkbook.  If I remember correctly they had, at some point, made an offer or had reached out about the current rink during the controversy when the Men's and Women's teams were dissolved.  

• Like 2

On 2/24/2024 at 4:07 PM, whatever said:

The request details that the grant is for new construction of a 100,000 square foot hockey facility on the RMU campus in Moon Township with two sheets of ice and seating for 2,500. The facility will also have office space and locker rooms for the university’s men’s and women’s hockey teams.

So if it is on campus, that would mean it is a different facility than the current complex, not an addition to it.  Is my logic correct?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Corsi said:

The statement in the Trib explicitly says the following, "The 100,000-square-foot development also would house enhanced training and locker room facilities, offices, plus regional amenities to meet the needs of youth and amateur hockey players."  As soon as this building would open, I would think Black Bear would be waiting with their checkbook.  If I remember correctly they had, at some point, made an offer or had reached out about the current rink during the controversy when the Men's and Women's teams were dissolved.  

I don't have a crystal ball but I am guessing the school would continue to own the rink.  I was told it was profitable.  Plus there are other school sports acitivities on the island at that property. 

https://triblive.com/sports/robert-morris-seeks-to-build-28m-hockey-arena/?fbclid=IwAR0nQJxfuKTWR2tBcA-G1_4efF8kr8jKIcTXS9IgnBLNtcHNKSVaL0jzy3A

Robert Morris University wants to build a $28 million arena on campus for its Division I men’s and women’s hockey programs and is seeking $10 million from the state for the project.

If it comes to fruition, the state-of- the-art venue would hold 2,500 people through general spectator seats “with premium seating,” according to a grant application submitted by RMU to the state Department of Community and Economic Development.

The building would hold twice as many spectators as the current Clearview Arena in the RMU Island Sports Center in Neville Island.

Potential on-campus sites for the arena were not identified. The application states that additional parking would be required.

The 100,000-square-foot development also would house enhanced training and locker room facilities, offices, plus regional amenities to meet the needs of youth and amateur hockey players. The application envisions 18 months of construction that could be completed in summer 2027, prior to the Colonials’ 2027-28 hockey seasons.

In response to an inquiry about the application, the university released a statement Sunday evening from RMU Vice President and Director of Athletics Chris King. It confirmed that the school is “actively exploring” the arena.

“This strategic initiative represents a blending of our pursuit of competitive excellence with our ongoing commitment to serving the needs of the greater community,” the statement read in part. “The new arena would serve as a vital source of revenue, crucial for the long-term sustainability of our Division I ice hockey programs, whose resurgence has been fueled by fundraising support. “

He added that “it would significantly expand local access to top-tier ice facilities for youth and women’s hockey programs in our region in combination with our existing facilities at the RMU Island Sports Center.”

A new home for the Colonials would continue a dramatic turnaround in fortunes from May 2021, when the private college of approximately 3,500 students announced it was discontinuing both programs. Amid an uproar from program supporters, the university reversed course and later reinstated Division I hockey for the 2023-24 season.

The state funds would be through the Redevelopment Assistance Capital Program (RACP). It is a commonwealth grant program administered by the Office of the Budget for the design, acquisition and construction of a regional economic, cultural, civic, recreational and historical improvement project, according to the DCED’s website.

In the application, submitted by officials including Robert Morris President Michelle Patrick, the university states the arena would benefit both the campus and region.

“The project will bolster regional economic development efforts through attendees to athletic events,” it states. “The project will also attract prospective students and families to the region.”

It also said, “As a showplace venue, it draws additional events to campus, contributing to the region’s vibrancy and enhancing the overall campus experience, a concern the university is constantly looking to address.”

RMU says its NCAA Division I athletics programs “bring national media exposure, and an attractive modern facility will elevate the school’s image.”

RMU leadership will commence meetings with an architectural firm to begin design within a year of receipt of the project funding to determine the arena’s build-out, hard cost, and schematics, according to the application.

“The facility project will require two sheets of ice to maximize the institution’s annual revenue opportunities and provide a practice facility for the RMU D1 Hockey programs,” the application stated.

Officials said the university and its Board of Trustees will initiate a supplementary $18 million campaign in capital investment, corporate naming partners, and donor investment to fund the project entirely.

It's my understanding that RMU isn't packing the barn. I haven't been to a game this year but I've heard this from multiple people so I'm assuming it's the case.

Is the "seating capacity is holding us back" just something they thought sounded good to help get the grant?

2 hours ago, Icebucket said:

It's my understanding that RMU isn't packing the barn. I haven't been to a game this year but I've heard this from multiple people so I'm assuming it's the case.

Is the "seating capacity is holding us back" just something they thought sounded good to help get the grant?

It’s holding them back recruiting wise. Think of how many prospective players would be enticed by brand new ON CAMPUS facilities. Bring in better talent, put a better product on ice, attract more fans. 

• Like 2

Anybody know how their attendance for Basketball is?  Maybe their promotions department needs to get out there and get Youth Hockey teams in the building like the Pens do.  Junior Starters and intermission shootouts and minigames give the Pens ticket sales. I bet they could add 50 to 100 paid admissions per home game with a little promotion.  I may be missing something but don't see much social media about their games or game days.   Anybody know the number of total Hockey players in Western PA?

14 hours ago, Icebucket said:

If I am not mistaken, one of the things that RMU doesn't like about the Island facility is that it is off campus, and therefore not as easy for resident students to attend games at. This was one of the stated advantages that the on campus basketball arena had over the hockey arena. So I assume they hope they'll get more spectators at an on campus arena.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Lifelongbender said:

If I am not mistaken, one of the things that RMU doesn't like about the Island facility is that it is off campus, and therefore not as easy for resident students to attend games at. This was one of the stated advantages that the on campus basketball arena had over the hockey arena. So I assume they hope they'll get more spectators at an on campus arena.

While I don't at all buy into the theory of an on campus arena making the team better and therefore drawing tons of outside fans, I can't certainly see the benefit of having easier access to get more students in the seats.

27 minutes ago, Icebucket said:

While I don't at all buy into the theory of an on campus arena making the team better and therefore drawing tons of outside fans, I can't certainly see the benefit of having easier access to get more students in the seats.

Being on campus is a huge recruiting tool for the teams, as well as having a "state of the art facility".  If you go to PSU, ND, Denver, even Niagara University their facilities and RMU's are not even in the same class.  RMU is dramatically behind when it comes to where they are playing.  

As far as what will happen to the the current complex when the on-campus facility opens...  Even if the Island Complex is currently profitable, I would wonder if the cost to staff and maintain two separate facilities would force a sale to Black Bear (or another group).

4 minutes ago, Corsi said:

Being on campus is a huge recruiting tool for the teams, as well as having a "state of the art facility".  If you go to PSU, ND, Denver, even Niagara University their facilities and RMU's are not even in the same class.  RMU is dramatically behind when it comes to where they are playing.  

As far as what will happen to the the current complex when the on-campus facility opens...  Even if the Island Complex is currently profitable, I would wonder if the cost to staff and maintain two separate facilities would force a sale to Black Bear (or another group).

The island complex hosts the hockey programs as well as track and field and rowing, plus the golf dome. Just my two cents:  I noticed the article states the new rink would be the practice facility for the DI team.  There are numerous hockey club teams at RMU as well - possibly the island would stay as their practice facility?  I believe the club teams are very lucrative.  I also noticed when I go to the games - all sheets of ice are booked into late hours of the night.  It seems they have no problem filling ice time.  Plus the cafe always seems busy.  The island hosts other sporting events/ practices for other school activities. The cafe attracts those people as well as feed the athletes. Another bit of info:  season ticket holders for this year's men's team was over 1500.  Season ticket holders would be above and beyond students attending games. All in all - I believe having an updated complex for the D1 teams and having it on campus is a plus for the school. I guess the $ being offered to part with the island complex would determine whether to part with it.  - I just think with the other events going on at the island complex  - parting with it may not be in the cards. It's kind of the hub for all the events. 

And you never know -  maybe Pittsburgh will get a USHL team someday and two additional sheets of ice will come in handy! 

43 minutes ago, whatever said:

maybe Pittsburgh will get a USHL team someday

This isn't happening. The guy who had the best chance at making this happen has moved along. I tried to find the old thread but did not have success but about 12-15 months ago there were people on here crowing about another sheet of ice at UPMC and they were "in the know" that a USHL team was assured.

Not a shovel-full of dirt has been dug.

The USHL has the perfect model, keep it small enough to prevent it from being watered down and they will remain the best Jr League in the world.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Corsi said:

rmu will NEVER be on the same level at PSU, MD,DENVER or NU....its a last effort school for kids to play D1 hockey. Heck top ncaa d3 teams would beat up emu pretty good. either stay at island sports or fold for GOOD!!!

12 minutes ago, PUCKCOVID19 said:

rmu will NEVER be on the same level at PSU, MD,DENVER or NU....its a last effort school for kids to play D1 hockey. Heck top ncaa d3 teams would beat up emu pretty good. either stay at island sports or fold for GOOD!!!

well aren't you just  a ray of sunshine. 

I did some research The Colonials got off to their best start in program history in 2021 at 11-3 and saw themselves ranked within the USCHO Top 20 for much of the season, reaching a program-best #17 in January. At 15-9 overall and 10-5-0 in AHA play, the Colonials earned a West Division title while boasting the AHA Coach of the Year as well as conference MVP, Rookie of the Year, and Defenseman of the Year. The top offensive team in AHA and one of the most prolific in all of college hockey, RMU's 85 goals was one of the highest totals in all of NCAA DI, and their 25% success rate on the power-play was tops in the conference.   -  this happens to be the SAME year the program was ended by the President.   

Schooley's team has reached four AHA title games and raised three championship banners since the start of the decade. After making the program's first-ever trip to the NCAA Tournament via an AHA postseason title in 2013-14, the Colonials ruled the league during the grueling regular season in 2014-15 and 2015-16, winning 24 games in each of those years. 

Additionally - several players from RMU have gone on to play professional hockey on some level.

Then let's talk about the women's program - 4 women played in the Olympics - 2 earning medals. 3 banners for winning CHA and several women drafted into Professional Women's hockey.  

• Like 3
  • 100 1

On 2/26/2024 at 1:15 PM, whatever said:

Robert Morris University wants to build a $28 million arena on campus for its Division I men’s and women’s hockey programs and is seeking $10 million from the state for the project.

As an RMU alum, I have ZERO idea where on campus they can fit a multi plex arena setup, without demolishing existing buildings - or filling in the valley on the back of campus.  There is not much room on that property.

3 hours ago, Corsi said:

RMU will still be dramatically behind those programs, regardless of being on or off campus. Will it help, sure. But putting a facility on campus isn't going to turn moon township into grand forks when it comes to hockey 

53 minutes ago, Icebucket said:

RMU will still be dramatically behind those programs, regardless of being on or off campus. Will it help, sure. But putting a facility on campus isn't going to turn moon township into grand forks when it comes to hockey 

It is like that in all major college sports. Most of the time a big name school wins it all. But there are a bunch of other teams that still compete, and sometimes knock off the big guys. 

15 hours ago, Icebucket said:

Yes, they probably will be behind the programs that I mentioned (except maybe Niagara) but as was pointed out by other members, D1 hockey is the one sport that is not as divided into "have's and have not's".  The Michigan's, Minnesota's, BU's, and Denver's are going to be the programs that recruit the 18 year old's that get drafted in June, but because of the role of junior hockey, teams like Quinnipiac, Union, and Providence can compete and win by bringing in players that are 20-21 years old and compete at a championship level.  RMU could and can compete with those teams, and having better facilities would help with attracting better players.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Corsi said:

Yes, they probably will be behind the programs that I mentioned (except maybe Niagara) but as was pointed out by other members, D1 hockey is the one sport that is not as divided into "have's and have not's".  The Michigan's, Minnesota's, BU's, and Denver's are going to be the programs that recruit the 18 year old's that get drafted in June, but because of the role of junior hockey, teams like Quinnipiac, Union, and Providence can compete and win by bringing in players that are 20-21 years old and compete at a championship level.  RMU could and can compete with those teams, and having better facilities would help with attracting better players.

I most certainly agree hockey isn't quite he same as football or basketball where smaller schools mostly don't have a chance.

However, the three programs you listed with recent success were all led by top notch coaches. Not sure RMU is capable as they are currently constructed