PIHL All Star Games - 04/3/2022 - Alpha

PIHL All Star Teams 
Congratulations to Players and Coaches 

Edited by Pa Hockey

• Pa Hockey changed the title to PIHL All Star Games - 04/3/2022 - Alpha

All the schools listed above - the only ones I’ve heard over the years that will find merit scholarships to get a kid they like are Mercyhust & JCU.

We know a 02 at mercyhurst, they shoveled a good amount of money to in the form of merit scholarships to get him to play club hockey. He told us the school is around 50k a year so he’s still paying the price of schools like IUP, CAL etc. he would have gone to IUP if it was not for the merit $ mercyhurst gave him. The on campus rink was a big plus in his eyes. He had an opportunity in the nahl but opted not to gamble and goto school. 

it’s nice to see some schools locally doing what the powerhouse acha schools do for club hockey. 

So that brings me to this - what are the local schools like rmu, pitt, iup, Duq, cal & upj offering during their “recruiting” ? Seriously, what are they saying or doing ? They don’t offer anything in from of financial support. 

Edited by Danner27

21 minutes ago, Danner27 said:

All the schools listed above - the only ones I’ve heard over the years that will find merit scholarships to get a kid they like are Mercyhust & JCU.

We know a 02 at mercyhurst, they shoveled a good amount of money to in the form of merit scholarships to get him to play club hockey. He told us the school is around 50k a year so he’s still paying the price of schools like IUP, CAL etc. he would have gone to IUP if it was not for the merit $ mercyhurst gave him. The on campus rink was a big plus in his eyes. He had an opportunity in the nahl but opted not to gamble and goto school. 

it’s nice to see some schools locally doing what the powerhouse acha schools do for club hockey. 

So that brings me to this - what are the local schools like rmu, pitt, iup, Duq, cal & upj offering during their “recruiting” ? Seriously, what are they saying or doing ? They don’t offer anything in from of financial support. 

Education Education and a little hockey to keep them busy ! 

Include SRU and an MBA and it was a great ride for 5 years 

1 hour ago, Danner27 said:

It's been years since I was around this, but way back in the day, the "recruiting" was really more so the colleges could tell the kids about their programs. The benefit was really more for the ACHA programs than to the kids in that the kids often didn't really even know much about the ACHA teams. That being said, the kids also would have had to have applied to the schools by now and I think in some cases, financial aid stuff was due around Feb 1.

I imagine it's somewhat true today too. I think basically the ACHA programs want to show the kids that the hockey is serious and worth doing, maybe give them some information on how the teams work and whatnot. I think Pitt and maybe Duquesne have locker rooms at Alpha, so maybe they want to show that off too.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Danner27 said:

Just as info for those who don't know....Danner talked about a 'merit' scholarship. The only program that can offer athletic scholarships is an NCAA D1. A 'merit' scholarship is money a school can offer based on the academic record and isn't based on the sport at all. Schools aren't supposed to offer these as a way to get players for non varsity sports.

Moral of the story...get the grades, kids. Make the school/area of study the important part of your decision and hockey the plus to that decision. Even at D1 you have to get into the school and demonstrate that you won't flunk out. Also, even many of these ACHA programs have rosters littered with players who played AAA or pay to play Tier III juniors. I don't know when that started happening, if related to the pandemic or what. Basically, it's not easy to play hockey in college for most people without a crazy amount of commitment, delay in going, and additional significant money spent that is well above the ask of any other sport. Makes all the crazy things people do to chase the extra A with the thought of playing college even crazier IMHO. It isn't likely to get your kid money to go. 

That being said, looking at rosters, a lot of the programs listed do take players right out of high school, which is nice to see.

There is good hockey played at ACHA. Some bad hockey, too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pa Hockey said:

ACHA M1 is pretty good Hockey and only going to get better because of Value ...........and Kool Aid will remain forever a part of hockey for the Dream Chasers 

I’ll never understand how they define the classes (M1,M2 & M3). I watched some of the nationals this year. Hope College who won M3 looked better than anyone I watched in M2 along with a lot of M1. to tell the truth, the final 8 teams in M3 would definitely roll through the chma M1 conference. I’m sure they wouldn’t be able to compete against the powerhouses in M1, but who can. all three classifications I watched during nationals - pretty damn good hockey. M2 was the weakest on this stage. 

The point I am making, the classifications are all over the place. It makes PIHL look like they know what they are doing.  

I’ve also read the acha has somewhat of a competitor now called the CHF. It appears to mainly be the south regions & upstate NY. I couldn’t say if it’s good hockey or not, haven’t seen it played but I’m guessing it’s a step down from the acha from what I’m reading. 

Danner? To be clear; you think that the final 8 teams in M3 are better than  M1 #13 Pitt? I respect your knowledge about hockey but have you even seen any of the top CHMA teams play lately? Just wondering.

24 minutes ago, Danner27 said:

I’ve also read the acha has somewhat of a competitor now called the CHF. It appears to mainly be the south regions & upstate NY. I couldn’t say if it’s good hockey or not, haven’t seen it played but I’m guessing it’s a step down from the acha from what I’m reading.

I'm curious about the CHF as well. MYHockey dropped the ACHA rankings from its site and replaced them with CHF rankings. Not sure why. Probably some sort of paid partnership between MYHockey and the CHF.

• Like 2

Comments about the difficulty in figuring out the quality of hockey is another reason to make hockey the secondary choice after picking your school based on quality of school/area of study. If your kid is thinking club hockey. Plus coaches come and go.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Law said:

Danner? To be clear; you think that the final 8 teams in M3 are better than  M1 #13 Pitt? I respect your knowledge about hockey but have you even seen any of the top CHMA teams play lately? Just wondering.

Yes, I caught pitt vs rmu this year in person. it was good hockey - I’m not taking anything away from these teams. In my opinion the hockey played  by the final 8 at the M3 nationals was better hockey than what we see here locally with M1 chma. I do think think my opinion is not that far fetched, these were considered the top 8 M3 teams in the country.  I wished I would have paid attention earlier to see the entire Field of m3 but I dismissed it assuming it’s the lowest of the 3 classes. In my opinion m2 was the lowest of the three classes. The final 4 of M1 are clearly on a different level than all of the ACHA. 

1 hour ago, RegDunlop7 said:

I'm curious about the CHF as well. MYHockey dropped the ACHA rankings from its site and replaced them with CHF rankings. Not sure why. Probably some sort of paid partnership between MYHockey and the CHF.

This. 

what I’m reading about the CHF - it seems like the usphl. 

6 minutes ago, Saucey said:

Comments about the difficulty in figuring out the quality of hockey is another reason to make hockey the secondary choice after picking your school based on quality of school/area of study. If your kid is thinking club hockey. Plus coaches come and go.

With college attendance on a steady decline over the years, the schools will use whatever they can to get a kid paying. 

the Mercyhust club player I was speaking of was not going to mercyhurst due to the cost. the acha coach really wanted him. The acha coach went and got more merit scholarships to get the school’s price in line with other chma schools. Essentially he is getting money to play club hockey. It’s not a lot, it’s nothing like the powerhouse acha schools do. In the end It got the kid to erie. 

• Like 2

My bad, didn't mean to re-post that. Yea, I haven't seen any top D3 teams play but Grand Valley State lost 4-3 to eventual runner up Michigan in round of 8 and they have a D1 team that was ranked 41st behind JCU, IUP, RMU. and Pitt. Have to believe that's their top team but who knows

56 minutes ago, Danner27 said:

With college attendance on a steady decline over the years, the schools will use whatever they can to get a kid paying. 

the Mercyhust club player I was speaking of was not going to mercyhurst due to the cost. the acha coach really wanted him. The acha coach went and got more merit scholarships to get the school’s price in line with other chma schools. Essentially he is getting money to play club hockey. It’s not a lot, it’s nothing like the powerhouse acha schools do. In the end It got the kid to erie. 

Danner 

I agree ....they got players work study jobs at IUP and I am ok with that .......they help players and students in need .......Thanks IUP !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Danner27 said:

Yes, I caught pitt vs rmu this year in person. it was good hockey - I’m not taking anything away from these teams. In my opinion the hockey played  by the final 8 at the M3 nationals was better hockey than what we see here locally with M1 chma. I do think think my opinion is not that far fetched, these were considered the top 8 M3 teams in the country.  I wished I would have paid attention earlier to see the entire Field of m3 but I dismissed it assuming it’s the lowest of the 3 classes. In my opinion m2 was the lowest of the three classes. The final 4 of M1 are clearly on a different level than all of the ACHA. 

true but Lindenwold is going NCAA now.  so I think their acha d1 team will now fall in the top 25 no longer a top 5 but I could be wrong. time will tell.  But the likes of Lindenwold and Adrian they dominate just about every year 

14 minutes ago, PUCKCOVID19 said:

true but Lindenwold is going NCAA now.  so I think their acha d1 team will now fall in the top 25 no longer a top 5 but I could be wrong. time will tell.  But the likes of Lindenwold and Adrian they dominate just about every year 

they treat those acha kids like royalty - but if they start pulling the money away - you will be correct. Im guessing that will happen with a ncaa team on campus. Now they have to play by the rules. 

I don’t think many players at all will make the jump to ncaa D1 but if the acha team starts to get treated like a step child they will fall a bit. Time will tell. 

when PSU jumped to NCAA d1 how many kids made it from the club team they used to build up to a  ncaa program ? 

1 hour ago, Law said:

My bad, didn't mean to re-post that. Yea, I haven't seen any top D3 teams play but Grand Valley State lost 4-3 to eventual runner up Michigan in round of 8 and they have a D1 team that was ranked 41st behind JCU, IUP, RMU. and Pitt. Have to believe that's their top team but who knows

Sort of follows my point the acha is all over the place. maybe Michigan had a bad game, Injuries etc. You can probably find the m3 championship game on a replay.