Knoch/Penn Trafford JV Game

I was there to watch the game afterwards and caught most of the "action".  Wasn't near the bleachers so not sure what started the crowd fight per say.  I know PT was getting pissed b/c as mentioned Knoch only has a JV team with 6 Srs and like 8 Jrs.  Not to mention a kid with Ohio AAA Blue Jackets pants (who was a big part of the on ice fight) and he was showboating quite a bit during the game.  Happened close to 9:00 PM.

The "brawl" on the ice lasted maybe 10sec and the BRAWL in the stands looks like a parent fell down the stands (because Frozen Pond doesn't have stairs in their bleachers) and someone got upset, yes there was a crowd around him but the 2 guys that jumped in actually helped the guy stand up and when he got up he raised his hand as a thank you and apology.

Why does everyone have to make stuff out to be bigger than it was.

I have seen "brawls" last longer at Mite games.

• 100 1

5 minutes ago, Pucks11 said:

The "brawl" on the ice lasted maybe 10sec and the BRAWL in the stands looks like a parent fell down the stands (because Frozen Pond doesn't have stairs in their bleachers) and someone got upset, yes there was a crowd around him but the 2 guys that jumped in actually helped the guy stand up and when he got up he raised his hand as a thank you and apology.

Well that definitely was a dad fight at the end, not somebody falling down the stairs.  

22 minutes ago, Hockeydad9130 said:

I was there to watch the game afterwards and caught most of the "action".  Wasn't near the bleachers so not sure what started the crowd fight per say.  I know PT was getting pissed b/c as mentioned Knoch only has a JV team with 6 Srs and like 8 Jrs.  Not to mention a kid with Ohio AAA Blue Jackets pants (who was a big part of the on ice fight) and he was showboating quite a bit during the game.  Happened close to 9:00 PM.

OK so can someone explain why Knoch would only have a JV team with that many Jrs & Srs? Blue Jackets pants thinks he's a whole lot better than he is. There is a reason he's no longer a Blue Jacket!

16 minutes ago, hockeyisgreat said:

OK so can someone explain why Knoch would only have a JV team with that many Jrs & Srs? Blue Jackets pants thinks he's a whole lot better than he is. There is a reason he's no longer a Blue Jacket!

Pretty sure that if you don't have enough kids to field a Varsity and JV team you have to declare Varsity or JV before the season. QV only has 1 team but they decided to go Varsity. Knock was 12-4 in JV 2 and finished 3rd overall in the regular season. Could they have played Varsity 1 or D2 , possibly. 

Thought I heard somewhere that Knoch co-ops with Neshannock or Wilmiington?  I of course may be way wrong on that.  I don't totally understand how a D-2 team can also have JV. Thought the whole idea was because they have a lack of players!  Now I look at it and see Ringgold, Carrick, EF, Deer Lakes, Neshannock all have JV teams also.  Looks like just Canevin and Burrell have no JV teams.

I know a coach for a D2 JV team (they actually play JV3). his motto is if a kid is willing to put in the work, i'm willing to teach them to skate. so "players" can be a little misleading in some cases. but if you look at the D2 teams in JV3, they barely have enough kids for every game and more than half are playing Varsity as well. Carrick has 2 goalies for both teams. I think Deer Lakes only has one for both JV and Varsity.

but the lack of players, is lack of players in one school.  Avonworth had been D2 until this year, they were forced pure because they had just enough kids in Avonworth school. Not sure what happened to the kids up 65 that used to be part of that co-op. I heard Deer Lakes, but can't confirm.

23 hours ago, Pucks11 said:

i saw videos from a person that was in the stands for the game. it was definitely a fight in the stands, no one fell from missing steps

• Like 1

21 hours ago, miked said:

I know a coach for a D2 JV team (they actually play JV3). his motto is if a kid is willing to put in the work, i'm willing to teach them to skate. so "players" can be a little misleading in some cases. but if you look at the D2 teams in JV3, they barely have enough kids for every game and more than half are playing Varsity as well. Carrick has 2 goalies for both teams. I think Deer Lakes only has one for both JV and Varsity.

but the lack of players, is lack of players in one school.  Avonworth had been D2 until this year, they were forced pure because they had just enough kids in Avonworth school. Not sure what happened to the kids up 65 that used to be part of that co-op. I heard Deer Lakes, but can't confirm.

Do you know how many kids it takes to have a pure team?  Just curious!

Force at more than 12 from the same school, but can go up to 14 depending on certain situations - again, ambiguity!

From PIHL playing rules:

5) An association meeting the minimum requirement of 12 eligible players from their school/school district shall not be permitted to field a co-op team with any other association unless 16 extenuating circumstances, showing a hardship, etc., are approved by the Executive Committee. a) If an association exceeds twelve (12) playersfrom any one school within the co-op, after being approved as a coop team, there shall be no discipline until they exceed fourteen (14) players from one school. Upon reaching fifteen (15) players from one school, that co-op team shall be required to declare a pure team for the next season if enough returning players are grade eligible.

Edited by oneanddone

41 minutes ago, oneanddone said:

Force at more than 12 from the same school, but can go up to 14 depending on certain situations - again, ambiguity!

From PIHL playing rules:

5) An association meeting the minimum requirement of 12 eligible players from their school/school district shall not be permitted to field a co-op team with any other association unless 16 extenuating circumstances, showing a hardship, etc., are approved by the Executive Committee. a) If an association exceeds twelve (12) playersfrom any one school within the co-op, after being approved as a coop team, there shall be no discipline until they exceed fourteen (14) players from one school. Upon reaching fifteen (15) players from one school, that co-op team shall be required to declare a pure team for the next season if enough returning players are grade eligible.

Amazing that they don't mention a goaltender...12 skaters + 0 goalies = no team.

27 minutes ago, Spear and Magic Helmet said:

Amazing that they don't mention a goaltender...12 skaters + 0 goalies = no team.

Goalies do not matter 

if you have enough kids rostered you go pure - they dont care if you have a goalie or not -

put a player in net - that has been the response in the past 

On 2/28/2023 at 10:48 AM, Pucks11 said:

Pretty sure that if you don't have enough kids to field a Varsity and JV team you have to declare Varsity or JV before the season.

I always thought which way you went had to do with number of seniors, but a little research shows that Knoch has 6 seniors (JV-2), QV has 5 seniors (V-A), Gateway 5 seniors (JV-3), and Beaver has 4 seniors (V-A). so i'm not really sure if that holds water. QV clearly made the correct choice, Beaver, probably not, but hard to say, after taking some beat downs early in the season, it looks like they finished off the year with some competitive games.  Knoch and Gateway are doing well in their divisions. Knoch probably could have won some class A games, Gateway probably made the correct choice, really hard to know though just looking at PIHL site. 

37 minutes ago, miked said:

I always thought which way you went had to do with number of seniors, but a little research shows that Knoch has 6 seniors (JV-2), QV has 5 seniors (V-A), Gateway 5 seniors (JV-3), and Beaver has 4 seniors (V-A). so i'm not really sure if that holds water. QV clearly made the correct choice, Beaver, probably not, but hard to say, after taking some beat downs early in the season, it looks like they finished off the year with some competitive games.  Knoch and Gateway are doing well in their divisions. Knoch probably could have won some class A games, Gateway probably made the correct choice, really hard to know though just looking at PIHL site. 

Gateway and Knoch are both co-ops. Probably wouldn’t have fared well in the Varsity D2 division, or would have records similar to Central Valley and Trinity.

https://cdn1.sportngin.com/attachments/document/f211-2439663/Schools_in_a_Co-op_9-2022.docx?_gl=1*w8uh69*_ga*MTgwODA3NTk0Mi4xNjc3MjAzNzYx*_ga_PQ25JN9PJ8*MTY3NzcxMDc1Ni4xNy4xLjE2Nzc3MTA4MTYuMC4wLjA.#_ga=2.242837952.352119034.1677423514-1808075942.1677203761

I checked into live barn and never really saw any on ice fights. Just a small scrum that lasted a few seconds. Maybe I was looking at the wrong part of the game, but certainly didn't seem to be anything that doesn't happen on a regular basis.

Edit: just checked the video posted above and I was in the wrong part of the game. Still wasn't terrible though. I wouldn't have handed out any games.

Edited by Icebucket