Prospect camp ?

My son received an invite to a prospect camp for a junior league team. It’s a scam in that we know he’s not anywhere near that level. But it is a personalized invite to an actual camp for a real team. So where did they get our info? Do they buy it from pahl? A clinic that he’s attended? Email everyone who’s registered with USA hockey? Wondering if anyone knows how it works?

2 hours ago, Brownbear said:

My son received an invite to a prospect camp for a junior league team. It’s a scam in that we know he’s not anywhere near that level. But it is a personalized invite to an actual camp for a real team. So where did they get our info? Do they buy it from pahl? A clinic that he’s attended? Email everyone who’s registered with USA hockey? Wondering if anyone knows how it works?

I don’t know how these lists are shared around but if you go to a CCM tournament or a MidAm camp you will end up getting all these emails for various junior teams hosting camps. Some of them are good camps, but you’re paying money and they are not exclusive or anything. 

• 1 year later...
48 minutes ago, LGP13 said:

Curious about this as well. Wasn't personalized, "first invitees taken, limited spots!" Anyone have input or trust my intuition?

Screenshot_20240419_141104_Email.jpg.af9f5ccf4ae006e8191b424af5c840e0.jpg

Money grab, those birth years don't even get looked at for another 2-3yrs.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Pucks11 said:

Money grab, those birth years don't even get looked at for another 2-3yrs.

Total money grab - many of these invites are "personalized" yet the player's name at the top is almost always in a different font from the text of the invite - kinda like a "insert player name here."

There's prospect camps, tryout camps, main camps, exposure camps, combine camps..........did I miss any?  And all are at $500 a clip plus hotel at a stay to play venue.

Edited by fafa fohi

Ogden Mustangs have at least 2 in Philadelphia and 1-2 in Ogden, UT. I think that they own the Philly rink and the team in Utah. But, they are all money grabs, even the main camp I believe. It’s not tuition free until you make the team…but even then; it’s costing money to play in the NCDC.