You might be a delusional hockey parent

On 1/30/2024 at 4:41 PM, YardSale said:

based on the scores, no, they are not developing them at all.  I would say they are developing at a slower rate than their competition

image.png.65c76c2fa4809ab667a662af2f2f7d77.png

image.png.48434e1b01e11650dde51fc63aca7389.png

Beyond that I heard that the coach went into the locker room and lost it on the kids and basically said he was quitting. It’s not the 9 and 10 year olds in the rooms fault that they were blatantly lied to. The organization and the coach should be ashamed that they stole these peoples money and set the kids up for failure. 

5 hours ago, Hattrick Swayze said:

Beyond that I heard that the coach went into the locker room and lost it on the kids and basically said he was quitting. It’s not the 9 and 10 year olds in the rooms fault that they were blatantly lied to. The organization and the coach should be ashamed that they stole these peoples money and set the kids up for failure. 

And that is why people who are not part of this cult realize how bad it is for Pittsburgh hockey.... 

• Like 2

On 1/31/2024 at 10:40 AM, YardSale said:

No bantam major team, 2009, right?  They have a 2010.

No but supposedly they are going to have an “amazing” 2009 team next year and bringing international kids 🙄

• ROTF 1
  • Uh, Ok 1

52 minutes ago, bender05 said:

No but supposedly they are going to have an “amazing” 2009 team next year and bringing international kids 🙄

And I’m sure they have commitments from all the top local ‘09s as well.

🤦‍♂️

23 hours ago, ice is cold said:

And that is why people who are not part of this cult realize how bad it is for Pittsburgh hockey.... 

Just think about how bad it might get within the newer, and more recent developing USA hockey markets that are in the south and southwest. They have no idea. It’s great overall for USA Hockey. But, reality is going to be a huge wake up call. Plus, they’re flying several hours, or driving 10+ hours for showcase tournaments…only to find they spend hundreds of $ to play the same kind of teams they got their teeth kicked in from last weekend.

• Like 1

This is the CJ Stellabotte effect at Esmark.  Promises all of these young families that he can turn their kids into "Stars".  Gets them into his lessons, places them on faux "AAA" teams.  I believe all 4 teams at Peewee or below have kids playing up birth years.  All done to appease these "delusional" parents that you speak of.  As someone stated before me, this should be criminal!

6 hours ago, Deke715 said:

This is the CJ Stellabotte effect at Esmark.  Promises all of these young families that he can turn their kids into "Stars".  Gets them into his lessons, places them on faux "AAA" teams.  I believe all 4 teams at Peewee or below have kids playing up birth years.  All done to appease these "delusional" parents that you speak of.  As someone stated before me, this should be criminal!

so is this CJ guy mostly the new Brad Posey within the stars?

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Deke715 said:

Puckcovid19

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

In more ways than you can even imagine, my friend!

There are some differences, CJ can skate and Posey got winded tying his. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Deke715 said:

So he's no longer at Renegades?

A few thoughts on this….

I do not agree with coaches running their own players in private lessons.  This has potential to creat multiple issues.  If an organization is “AAA” they have to be able to hold a tryout, see the lack of talent and scrap it moving forward.  Credibility of your organization takes a hit. However now that youth hockey is more of a business these days the likelihood this happens is diminishing. Takes advantage of parents who are not as educated.  I look for an exodus of players back to AAA at the 09 birth year.  PAHL is just a one and done for many of those kids.  It’s a shame as it’s made for some good AA hockey locally.  We will see where loyalty lies 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, HockeyFan6687 said:

A few thoughts on this….

I do not agree with coaches running their own players in private lessons.  This has potential to creat multiple issues.  If an organization is “AAA” they have to be able to hold a tryout, see the lack of talent and scrap it moving forward.  Credibility of your organization takes a hit. However now that youth hockey is more of a business these days the likelihood this happens is diminishing. Takes advantage of parents who are not as educated.  I look for an exodus of players back to AAA at the 09 birth year.  PAHL is just a one and done for many of those kids.  It’s a shame as it’s made for some good AA hockey locally.  We will see where loyalty lies 

It will be interesting to watch for sure.  Someone posted above that Esmark is already taking up their ‘09 team for next year.

1 hour ago, YardSale said:

It will be interesting to watch for sure.  Someone posted above that Esmark is already taking up their ‘09 team for next year.

They still playing in New Ken? Uphill and losing battle. More and better hockey players up and down the 79 corridor and in the south hills. They would have much better success starting a new AAA team from scratch at Printscape. Just a massive area you can pull from compared to New Ken.

1 minute ago, RJUSHL said:

They still playing in New Ken? Uphill and losing battle. More and better hockey players up and down the 79 corridor and in the south hills. They would have much better success starting a new AAA team from scratch at Printscape. Just a massive area you can pull from compared to New Ken.

They would need to replace either the SHAHA or Preds team. There isn’t enough talent for yet another AAA team

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RJUSHL said:

Everything about that situation in New Ken is bad! 

They built all of these Esmark specific locker room areas.  Esmark will have to raise tuition to cover the added expenses of all that. 

Black Bears Huskies program may only field a team or two next season. 

I'm not sure how they keep the doors open at PIA next year.  Black Bear can't even get a name sponsor for the place!

Edited by Deke715

The standard for "AAA" is watered down in our area due to a variety of factors and the lack of oversight capabilities on defining "AAA." The only real defining factor is whether or not you have the finances to declare your program "AAA" and whether you can convince parents of the same.

A reset is necessary across the board on what has turned into a bloated and convoluted leveling system in which predatory organizations take advantage of overly vicarious or naive parents seeking the next step for their son/daughter in the WPA area. The truth is programs declaring themselves as "AAA" will only drain their bank accounts and leave them wondering why their child isn't playing at the next level (juniors, D1, etc.) when all is said and done.  The only hope is whether their child is enjoying the sport despite being dog walked or are they brainwashed due to the vicarious nature of their parents? 

"AAA" is supposed to be for the elite talent in the area, with "AA" being a suitable alternative for those players just a step below. It gives them an opportunity to play in a competitive setting while honing their skills. Instead, we see a number of teams getting obliterated by better-level systems in other states.  WPA youth hockey feels like a mess because we've let it become a business first and an outlet for children second. 

5 hours ago, Oighir said:

The standard for "AAA" is watered down in our area due to a variety of factors and the lack of oversight capabilities on defining "AAA." The only real defining factor is whether or not you have the finances to declare your program "AAA" and whether you can convince parents of the same.

A reset is necessary across the board on what has turned into a bloated and convoluted leveling system in which predatory organizations take advantage of overly vicarious or naive parents seeking the next step for their son/daughter in the WPA area. The truth is programs declaring themselves as "AAA" will only drain their bank accounts and leave them wondering why their child isn't playing at the next level (juniors, D1, etc.) when all is said and done.  The only hope is whether their child is enjoying the sport despite being dog walked or are they brainwashed due to the vicarious nature of their parents? 

"AAA" is supposed to be for the elite talent in the area, with "AA" being a suitable alternative for those players just a step below. It gives them an opportunity to play in a competitive setting while honing their skills. Instead, we see a number of teams getting obliterated by better-level systems in other states.  WPA youth hockey feels like a mess because we've let it become a business first and an outlet for children second. 

I disagree to an extent. AAA in our area grew out of a crappy AA (PAHL) alternative (for 80% of player a few years ago). Kids wanting to work hard vs jag off. Kids wanting to pick practice over a Friday night football game. Kids wanting to show up at practice vs stay home and play video games. AAA had accountability (which most pahl orgs did not). Today it is probably different with dillusuonal parents. But when my kid played he moved to AAA because he was annoyed with the level of responsibility, accountability and dedication in the team, organization and league. 

• Like 4
  • Fist Bump 1

There are only a select number of legitimate AAA programs in the area. Unfortunately, it appears that there are also some programs that “want” to have a competitive AAA squad; but the coaches don’t have the talent that comes with the cost associated with the program. 

The one thing that the AAA local programs is do well is hold the players accountable and do demand hard work throughout the season. Like I said, they want to have a AAA team that is competitive with other regional/state/national programs…they just can’t align the talent.

SHAHA 18U AAA simply folded when they realized that they wouldn’t be able to adequately replace their lost talent through promotion to higher levels. SHAHA “could” have just ran out a team like their previous years and generate some money and recognition. But it would have become quickly evident that the team would have been a shell of its former and most likely cause player growth stunting, frustration from everyone involved, maybe embarrassment, and all of the negatives that comes with less winning. I actually respect the coaches and organization for recognizing the uphill struggles and just retired their top team.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rewster said:

There are only a select number of legitimate AAA programs in the area. Unfortunately, it appears that there are also some programs that “want” to have a competitive AAA squad; but the coaches don’t have the talent that comes with the cost associated with the program. 

The one thing that the AAA local programs is do well is hold the players accountable and do demand hard work throughout the season. Like I said, they want to have a AAA team that is competitive with other regional/state/national programs…they just can’t align the talent.

SHAHA 18U AAA simply folded when they realized that they wouldn’t be able to adequately replace their lost talent through promotion to higher levels. SHAHA “could” have just ran out a team like their previous years and generate some money and recognition. But it would have become quickly evident that the team would have been a shell of its former and most likely cause player growth stunting, frustration from everyone involved, maybe embarrassment, and all of the negatives that comes with less winning. I actually respect the coaches and organization for recognizing the uphill struggles and just retired their top team.

And it should be a very select few because that is more representative of Western PA. Accountability can be found at different levels depending on the organization's philosophy. That's not necessarily reserved for AAA. I understand why it might come off that way, considering the investment of time and money that goes into any AAA program.    I guess for me, I'm more concerned that the business model is overtaking the genuine development of kids and putting them into positions to succeed. The manipulation of expectations should be considered a serious concern for the sustainable of hockey in Western PA. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, nemesis8679 said:

Too many parent coaches at AA in general. 

Not sure if AAA is going that way or not. 

But it affects the reasons of how teams are picked. 

Depends on the parent/coach, in my opinion. Non-parent coaches would be a welcome change, but most of the time, it comes saddled with their training/lesson business on the side.  Or they bring in outside players. I guess my point is there are pros and cons to non-parent coaches.  If you can keep out the extracurricular unspoken requirements, that's what will help keep things neutral. Unfortunately, it's not an easy thing to do.

I'm just not sure it's worth it for AA programs to narrow the focus on coaching searches at this point. AAA should be able to sort out coaching without parents. The money is there, and typically, the resources, so presumably, you could get an outside coach without much issue.  I'd argue that's a perk of playing AAA among other things.