2022 CHMA PLAYOFFS - ACHA Nationals

2022 CHMA PLAYOFFS

http://collegehockeymidamerica.pointstreaksites.com/img/site_images/3154/uploaded_images/resize/CHMA2021Logo_4_2.jpg

Quarterfinal Game #1: Friday, February 18th
     #3 Robert Morris vs.  #6 West Virginia
          5:30 PM at Gilmour Academy Ice Arena

Quarterfinal Game #2: Friday, February 18th
     #4 - John Carroll  vs.  #5 - Kent State
          8:30 PM at Gilmour Academy Ice Arena

Semifinal Game #1: Saturday, February 19th
     #1 Pittsburgh vs.  lowest-remaining seed
          4:30 PM at Gilmour Academy Ice Arena

Semifinal Game #2: Saturday, February 19th
     #2 Indiana U of PA  vs.  highest-remaining seed
          7:30 PM at Gilmour Academy Ice Arena

Championship Game: Sunday, February 20th
     semifinal winner vs.  semifinal winner
          1:30 PM at Gilmour Academy Ice Arena

• Like 1

I'm just starting to understand all the AAA, AA, A divisions in USA Hockey.  Next I'm going to have to understand the ACHA and how it relates to NCAA Hockey.   Is ACHA Hockey better quality than Division 3 Hockey?  Both are non scholarship right?  I guess I have a few more years for that if mine wants to still play by then.

36 minutes ago, Jack Handey said:

Be careful with the A, AA, and AAA.  They mean different things in different geographies and in different leagues.  If you are trying to compare apples to apples, it's better to think of teams in terms of their declared classes: Tier I, Tier II, and House/Rec.

I thought all AAA was Tier 1?  Tier 2 is AA, A?  How can it be different if all roads lead to USA Hockey National tournaments?

1 hour ago, hockeyisgreat said:

I'm just starting to understand all the AAA, AA, A divisions in USA Hockey.  Next I'm going to have to understand the ACHA and how it relates to NCAA Hockey.   Is ACHA Hockey better quality than Division 3 Hockey?  Both are non scholarship right?  I guess I have a few more years for that if mine wants to still play by then.

It's a mess to understand. NCAA Div I is the only one who can grant scholarships for sport only. Everything else, you can get academic scholarships. Which means you have to have good grades and be a good student.

There are some good articles floating around that explain the alphabet. But yes, depending on the school/program, an ACHA division 1 club team can be better hockey than division III 

The disappointing thing that I have found is that a lot of those high level club teams will want your kid to play juniors, particularly if you didn't play AAA. That's expensive. Not sure that is worth it. Go get the degree IMHO. No other college sport makes such ridiculous demands of it's players. There are states that allow you to send your kid to prep school for an extra year just to boost grades and let the kid get bigger. Five years of high school!

To get a sense if your kid can play somewhere, take a look at the rosters. A lot of them will put the player's last team on the roster, or you can look them up on Elite Prospects. It's enlightening. Even on a club team, you may find that the roster is littered with kids with AAA teams and juniors.

4 minutes ago, hockeyisgreat said:

I thought all AAA was Tier 1?  Tier 2 is AA, A?  How can it be different if all roads lead to USA Hockey National tournaments?

AA is a different level in some states than around here, is what he was referring to. 

• Like 1

Certain leagues will put a meaning behind AA and A but that meaning will change from league to league.  Pittsburgh AA is different from Detroit AA is different from Buffalo AA.  And independent teams can put as many As into their name as customers will pay for.  None of it matters as you can only declare for either Tier I or Tier II playoffs.  

• Like 1

West Virginia 6 RMU 5 OT

John Carroll 5 Kent State 3 

Semifinal Game #1: Saturday, February 19th
     #1 Pittsburgh vs.  # 6 West Virginia 
          4:30 PM at Gilmour Academy Ice Arena

Semifinal Game #2: Saturday, February 19th
     #2 Indiana U of PA  vs.  # 4 John Carroll 
          7:30 PM at Gilmour Academy Ice Arena

Championship Game: Sunday, February 20th
     semifinal winner vs.  semifinal winner
          1:30 PM at Gilmour Academy Ice Arena