Frozen Pond

22 minutes ago, sadday4hockey said:

How long is Frozen Pond down for repairs? I was told that they are saying at least through the 4th of July Holiday, Anyone have any confirmation? Their website is no help whatsoever.

Pretty sure it's July 5th. 

Before COVID this was their typical schedule to put in new ice. 

19 minutes ago, Duster19 said:

Didn’t they shut down last summer too?  What’s going on?  I don’t see other rinks like Baierl, Alpha or Harmar closing like this on an annual basis.

#SmallTime

I would think quite the opposite. They take the  maintenance of their ice over revenue during summer months. They have been doing this forever.  Most rinks would love to take their ice out, ensure everything is working and lay new paint and ice. But they won't give up the revenue. Baierl typically shuts one rink down a summer. 

19 minutes ago, Duster19 said:

Edited by ice is cold

Waaaay back in the dark ages, it was much more typical for every rink in the area to have no ice for a month or so in the summer. It used to be that summer was highest cost and lowest revenue. Kids used to play baseball, lacrosse, etc. instead of hockey in the summer as well. With all of the spring/summer teams, camps, etc. these days, it may not be as low revenue as it once was. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ihearthockey said:

Sure doesn't help, worst ice in the league

Really? My son would say otherwise. And most kids (and I mean over 15) say it's the best ice.  But I assume you skate on it often to make that assessment, I guess you like it soft. To each his own.  

1 hour ago, ice is cold said:

Really? My son would say otherwise. And most kids (and I mean over 15) say it's the best ice.  But I assume you skate on it often to make that assessment, I guess you like it soft. To each his own.  

You're right. The ice is awesome there. 😂

2 hours ago, Icebucket said:

The ice at frozen pond actually isn't terrible. It's everything else about that rink that make it most people's least favorite rink to play at.

Best views of the ice tho. Just need to see over and around the many layers to stay warm 😁

11 hours ago, ice is cold said:

I don’t think the ice is bad.  The rest of it however……

59 minutes ago, HockeyFan6687 said:

I don’t think the ice is bad.  The rest of it however……

We all know people don't own rinks because they are profit centers, they do it because they love the sport. I'd prefer the ice be the best it can be above and beyond anything else. Canada is full of literal barns and the kids are just happy to play and the parents are happy to be able to watch their kids play this wonderful sport. 

Off subject, and not directed to you or any individual...if everyone just took a step back from their keyboards and anger for one reason or another, and looked at their players, who most can care less about half (all) of what is bitched about on this board, everyone would smile, as who can't smile watching their kid do what they love?  And if you can't, it's time for some reflection. 

• Like 1

My kids used to play there, and the only real complaint I ever had was the lighting.  I don’t know why, but it always seems dim/darker in there.  

I think it may be due to the fact the ceiling isn’t white like other rinks.  Not sure, though.

They paved the lot nicely, and the steps everyone complains about are actually a cool, distinctive feature (except when they are icy!  Ha ha).

I have always wondered how they can get away with those steps. They're a pain in the neck and from an accessibility perspective entirely bizarre. I guess there area few parking spots around the side for accessibility but that rink just doesn't even feel legally compliant from that standpoint.

The biggest issue I have ever had with the Frozen Pond is actually the low ceiling, of all things. Can't really do an old-fashioned Murphy dump there.

1 hour ago, Lifelongbender said:

The biggest issue I have ever had with the Frozen Pond is actually the low ceiling, of all things. Can't really do an old-fashioned Murphy dump there.

Good point.  I wonder if that is why it seems so much darker in there.

11 hours ago, ice is cold said:

We all know people don't own rinks because they are profit centers, they do it because they love the sport. I'd prefer the ice be the best it can be above and beyond anything else. Canada is full of literal barns and the kids are just happy to play and the parents are happy to be able to watch their kids play this wonderful sport. 

Off subject, and not directed to you or any individual...if everyone just took a step back from their keyboards and anger for one reason or another, and looked at their players, who most can care less about half (all) of what is bitched about on this board, everyone would smile, as who can't smile watching their kid do what they love?  And if you can't, it's time for some reflection. 

Thanks, Dean.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ice is cold said:

????? 

DW is part of the ownership group that bought the shithole that was Ice Connection and poured a ton of money into major improvements.  People that have issues with Frozen Pond today either have a very short memory of what the place used to be like or had never been there prior to it being sold.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fafa fohi said:

DW is part of the ownership group that bought the shithole that was Ice Connection and poured a ton of money into major improvements.  People that have issues with Frozen Pond today either have a very short memory of what the place used to be like or had never been there prior to it being sold.

It absolutely is 100x better than when I was a kid. 

1 hour ago, fafa fohi said:

It's certainly better than it used to be, but the bar was set very low if that's what you are comparing it to. I give them credit for being around though. The other rinks that were comparable to ice connection back in the day have all closed down.

But in looking at all options available today, it's very much a bottom end option.

Edited by Icebucket