Too much power?

37 minutes ago, HockeyFan6687 said:

Has anyone noticed the increasing trend of one person being involved waist deep in calling the shots of almost every aspect of an organization as well as being the head coach or rostered on numerous teams as an “assistant”?   Not a healthy trend. 

I’ve been part of multiple big organizations and my experience has been that there are checks and balances within the board and haven’t experienced anything close to what you are saying.

3 hours ago, HockeyFan6687 said:

Has anyone noticed the increasing trend of one person being involved waist deep in calling the shots of almost every aspect of an organization as well as being the head coach or rostered on numerous teams as an “assistant”?   Not a healthy trend. 

Sounds like all the AAA programs more than PAHL to me.  

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/30/2023 at 10:14 AM, HockeyFan6687 said:

Crickets! Come on… give us a hint. 

I'm thinking it rhymes with flurry. 

But complaining about coaches being in multiple rosters could be mis leading. Most teams have coaches rostered on more than one team in case a coach can't make it, etc. So that in itself isn't concerning really. It's called making sure the kids have a coach who is legally rostered to coach. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ice is cold said:

I'm thinking it rhymes with flurry. 

But complaining about coaches being in multiple rosters could be mis leading. Most teams have coaches rostered on more than one team in case a coach can't make it, etc. So that in itself isn't concerning really. It's called making sure the kids have a coach who is legally rostered to coach. 

^^This^^

I’ve been witness to (as a parent) and as a player (in separate occasions) when there our team did not have a qualified USA Hockey-sanctioned coach behind the bench for a game—for whatever unforeseen and unfortunate circumstances—and had to scramble to find a legitimate, pamphlet-holding person to stand behind the bench.

I got to tell you, it sucks to be on the short end of the “not-having-a-qualified-coach” stick. Especially when there’s obvious alternatives available. It sometimes comes down to travel hiccups; or parent-coach vs having to choose between multiple children during tournaments in the same city but get shafted in the end because of game times; or, illnesses/family emergencies while away for tournaments; or even automobile breakdowns enroute to/from away games.

If you’re around youth hockey long enough, you’ll eventually see every imaginable scenario play out. I can sum up a bunch of long stories made short…it’s simply much better for everyone involved to push any given team(s) roster into the grey area of having too many qualified coaches vs the opposite where you run the risk of not having any coaches and are forced to forfeit. Sobeit, if there’s a common head/assistant coach’s name that is represented on more than a couple of teams. Just as long as they are willing to take their time and energy to act on their “coach” title…I would rather shake their hand than question their motives.

On 10/30/2023 at 1:59 PM, bb2j3z said:

We don't have that problem where I'm at.   We have a very healthy board with mostly general consensus.

Don’t fool yourself here. This happens in your org. I know it happens at several age groups.

Edited by qwik_one