PG Stellar 6 - 2024

8 minutes ago, Icebucket said:

And to go a step further since you love he coach so much. He's a coach who can run it up against bad teams, but can't coach well enough to win tough games when it matters. "3 losses in 3 years", but zero championships

Wow!  I'm just wondering what your High School Hockey Coaching record is over the last 3 years?

7 minutes ago, hockeyisgreat said:

Wow!  I'm just wondering what your High School Hockey Coaching record is over the last 3 years?

I haven't coached in 10+ years, but have won plenty of league championships. And I'm sure the world hasn't changed that much and the players would much rather win it all, vs being given the opportunity to put up 9 points in a 15 goal win. 

Maybe develop someone other than your top 5 when games are in hand and it will pay off in those big games where depth comes into play.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Icebucket said:

the players would much rather win it all, vs being given the opportunity to put up 9 points in a 15 goal win. 

I wouldn't call this statement a slam dunk. It certainly should be, but youtube/insta/tiktok along with parents and the love of the highlight play have skewed the concept of team a lot over the last 8-10 years.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Overqualified said:

That coach s terrible he should sit his seniors in the 3rd period in there last year of high school hockey or have them pass 5 times before shooting you must watch CNBC!

3 loses in 3 years and went to Nationals 3 years in a row

Who would want there kid to experience that

You do know that they volunteer to go to Nationals, they are not picked for it. Again it's the house league of Nationals. You have Tier 1 18u, 16u, 15o, 14u and 13o and Tier 2 18u, 16u and 14u. Then you have High School which has 4 different divisions Prep, Tier 1, Tier 2 and Girl's. BC plays in the 2nd lowest division (out of 12) just above the girls division.

3 hours ago, Overqualified said:

That coach s terrible he should sit his seniors in the 3rd period in there last year of high school hockey or have them pass 5 times before shooting you must watch CNBC!

3 loses in 3 years and went to Nationals 3 years in a row

Who would want there kid to experience that

Going to nationals is not a good indicator of a good team. You don’t have to win anything to get there. You just have to apply. 

That being said. They have been a good team. But I agree that running up the scores is classless. 

2 teams from here can go to nationals 

1 in the open division 

1 in the regular division 

The best team from the open division is rewarded by the league and the commissioner to go to nationals 

So no you don't just sign up

If PIHL would move the playoffs up 1 week States would be over and one team from 1A 2A or 3A would be able to go

50 minutes ago, Pucks11 said:

You do know that they volunteer to go to Nationals, they are not picked for it. Again it's the house league of Nationals. You have Tier 1 18u, 16u, 15o, 14u and 13o and Tier 2 18u, 16u and 14u. Then you have High School which has 4 different divisions Prep, Tier 1, Tier 2 and Girl's. BC plays in the 2nd lowest division (out of 12) just above the girls division.

Let's take the top 6 in D2 and play the stellar six and see what happens?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Overqualified said:

1 in the open division 

The best team from the open division is rewarded by the league and the commissioner to go to nationals 

If PIHL would move the playoffs up 1 week States would be over and one team from 1A 2A or 3A would be able to go

Yes, you do just sign up. You don’t have to win anything to go. When Bethel Park won the “National Championship”, they were not even the top team in PIHL AAA. 

1 hour ago, Overqualified said:

Let's take the top 6 in D2 and play the stellar six and see what happens?

Would pay to see that game. Top 6 in D2 this year were pretty damn good. 

The kid from Burrell would of set records if he played all of the games. He also scored against the tougher teams in the division, not like some others. He was also a team player, when the game was in hand for Burrell, he focused on helping other kids try to score that didn't see much playing time during the season. True sportsmanship.

And yes, I am a Burrell parent.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

The top D-2 Teams have come to some of my tournaments and Carrick won it in 2014. Ringgold & Canevin competed and also played some games and got outclassed. If you wanna run with the big dogs, get off the porch. 

Edited by Pa Hockey

2 hours ago, Overqualified said:

1 in the open division 

There is not an open and regular division. It is Prep, Tier 1 and Tier 2.

Yes, you do just sign up. Any school can apply. If the 1A, 2A or 3A teams cared about Nationals I am sure they would complain to PIHL.

8 minutes ago, Pa Hockey said:

The top D-2 Teams have come to some of my tournaments and Carrick won it in 2014. Ringgold & Canevin competed and also played some games and got outclassed. If you wanna run with the big dogs, get off the porch. 

9 minutes ago, Pa Hockey said:

I wouldn't call losing to top teams by 1 getting outclassed without having some of there best players because they where out of town for the holidays 

1 minute ago, Pucks11 said:

Yes, you do just sign up. Any school can apply. If the 1A, 2A or 3A teams cared about Nationals I am sure they would complain to PIHL.

Open Teams play 1A

Once again you just don't sign up

Next year things will change

Where you at nationals expert?

16 minutes ago, Overqualified said:

Open Teams play 1A

Once again you just don't sign up

Next year things will change

Where you at nationals expert?

Just go to the Nationals website and read the USA hockey rule book for High School Nationals. Prep, Tier 1, Tier 2 and Girls are the ONLY divisions they have and the only qualifications are to APPLY. If you want BC to get more recognition then tell their coach to move them up a division. 3 losses in 3yrs should help them out with that process but judging by the way you brag about volunteering for Nationals every year and 3 losses in 3yrs they won't ask to move up because they like stats over Chips.

27 minutes ago, Overqualified said:

I wouldn't call losing to top teams by 1 getting outclassed without having some of there best players because they where out of town for the holidays 

Latrobe beat Canevin 8-0 and Armstrong beat Ringgold 9-2 two years ago 

16 minutes ago, Pa Hockey said:

Latrobe beat Canevin 8-0 and Armstrong beat Ringgold 9-2 two years ago 

Canevin had half there players for that game

And you hired the worst girl referee I have ever seen for that game it was hilarious 

Preference why Canevin doesn't play in that tournament anymore 

You really shouldn't bash teams not good for business 

If you didn't try to pay 35 dollars to ref a game maybe your tournament would be better 

23 minutes ago, Pucks11 said:

Just go to the Nationals website and read the USA hockey rule book for High School Nationals. Prep, Tier 1, Tier 2 and Girls are the ONLY divisions they have and the only qualifications are to APPLY. If you want BC to get more recognition then tell their coach to move them up a division. 3 losses in 3yrs should help them out with that process but judging by the way you brag about volunteering for Nationals every year and 3 losses in 3yrs they won't ask to move up because they like stats over Chips.

Can't move up in the PIHL.  They are a co-op team with players from multiple schools who can't field a team on their own.  The PIAA lets schools co-op and qualify for the State tournaments. I guess it is a SWPA thing and there is no complimentary division in the east.  It is great that close to 300 kids play in D-2 that otherwise wouldn't get a chance to play High School Hockey.  No Amateur team can duplicate the High School fan atmosphere!  Even if it is coming from 5 different schools.

58 minutes ago, Pucks11 said:

Latrobe played in 2A this year.  They made it out of pool play.  Represented SWPA well!

And you hired the worst girl referee I have ever seen for that game it was hilarious 

If you didn't try to pay 35 dollars to ref a game maybe your tournament would be better 

Not bashing schools at all they got beat 8-0 and pay refs very well  

1 hour ago, Stanley PK said:

Would pay to see that game. Top 6 in D2 this year were pretty damn good. 

The kid from Burrell would of set records if he played all of the games. He also scored against the tougher teams in the division, not like some others. He was also a team player, when the game was in hand for Burrell, he focused on helping other kids try to score that didn't see much playing time during the season. True sportsmanship.

And yes, I am a Burrell parent.

Got to agree with you 100%  I would love to see the top 6 in D-2 play the Stellar 6.  Congratulations Burrell on a great season! A bad call away from a chance at the championship.  One of the best championship games.  I will say that D-2 might come up a little short in the goalie area.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, hockeyisgreat said:

Can't move up in the PIHL.  They are a co-op team with players from multiple schools who can't field a team on their own.  The PIAA lets schools co-op and qualify for the State tournaments. I guess it is a SWPA thing and there is no complimentary division in the east.  It is great that close to 300 kids play in D-2 that otherwise wouldn't get a chance to play High School Hockey.  No Amateur team can duplicate the High School fan atmosphere!  Even if it is coming from 5 different schools.

There are impure/co-op hockey teams in other parts of the state. There was one based at the Indiana rink a few years back. Not sure if it is still there. The Lake Shore league, based in Erie, also has impure teams. In Eastern PA, there is no umbrella organization for all of Greater Philadelphia like we have with the PIHL, but many of the 6-8 leagues out there do have impure divisions, particularly those based near Harrisburg and Hershey. If there were demand for it, there could be a co-op state championship. However, I think many co-ops are just happy to get a team on the ice.

As for other sports, football is a good example because of the number of players you need to field a team. There are lots of co-ops and yes they can play PIAA playoffs. Dane Jackson comes to mind as someone who did the co-op route. It's a lot different for football because there is no option other than high school football.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dane_Jackson_(American_football)

Canevin is a good team in the open class. They wouldn’t compete in AA OR AAA. No chance. And it doesn’t matter unless they can get enough kids to go pure. 

12 minutes ago, Spear and Magic Helmet said:

There are impure/co-op hockey teams in other parts of the state. There was one based at the Indiana rink a few years back. Not sure if it is still there. The Lake Shore league, based in Erie, also has impure teams. In Eastern PA, there is no umbrella organization for all of Greater Philadelphia like we have with the PIHL, but many of the 6-8 leagues out there do have impure divisions, particularly those based near Harrisburg and Hershey. If there were demand for it, there could be a co-op state championship. However, I think many co-ops are just happy to get a team on the ice.

As for other sports, football is a good example because of the number of players you need to field a team. There are lots of co-ops and yes they can play PIAA playoffs. Dane Jackson comes to mind as someone who did the co-op route. It's a lot different for football because there is no option other than high school football.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dane_Jackson_(American_football)

So the champions from those leagues should get together and have a playoff to play against the D-2 champion from SWPA!  And while we are on the subject why do they call it D-2 or B?  That's a little discriminatory!  But then again I wouldn't want it called A-. Maybe the PIHL should realign to AAAA, AAA, AA and A!  If they are going to keep 4 divisions!

Posted (edited)

D-2 is impure teams with multiple High Schools and was originally supposed to develop into pure and never did.

Schools in AAA, AA and A work very hard to earn an opportunity to play for a State Championship and are rewarded for their efforts.  

TJ beat Greensburg Salem 8-0 in the PAHSS and both had all their players and was a good experience because Salem rebounded and committed themselves and almost pulled off a Penguins Cup this year.

Canevin sent half their players to play Latrobe ? Why? 

Look at what Avonworth is doing and South Park is doing with MS and Developmental and they should be applauded  

Edited by Pa Hockey
  • Like 1