Developing super young defensemen

Question for the more experienced parents of top level D men.  Were there any camps, experiences, or coaching that helped them “get it” and take it to the next level. What helps a top aaa dman in squirts  (I know, aaa isn’t real until they are older) become a stud at age 15-16?

48 minutes ago, RMU Alum said:

Question for the more experienced parents of top level D men.  Were there any camps, experiences, or coaching that helped them “get it” and take it to the next level. What helps a top aaa dman in squirts  (I know, aaa isn’t real until they are older) become a stud at age 15-16?

Position doesn’t matter at that age, just let the kid play & have fun. let them play forward and defense. You can spend all the money in the world on training,  it won’t matter in the end unless the player is having fun. There is only a hand full of “studs” by the age of 16 in all of North America. 

I am personally against AAA until the age of 13 - 14. I’ve seen so many talented kids get burned out by 16. 

• Like 1

They need to move through all the positions at that age. I have a d man who would benefit from moving up to work on his hands, shot and confidence, and he is 13. Work on skating.

Defense is a mentality. Kids tend to naturally gravitate there.

Coaches tend to not do defensive specific drills, same as the goalie. Talk to your coach about adding some in more frequently.

Over the summer, Yuri's defensive clinic is good.

11 hours ago, RMU Alum said:

1. Where does your kid play? Pens or V? You can message me if you don’t want to publicly say since so many like to bash each other on here. 

2. Don’t buy into the “AAA doesn’t start until they are older” crap. AAA is AAA, regardless of age. It is a higher level of play than AA. Some organizations might have a killer AA team that can compete with some AAA teams, but most don’t. We decided to go AAA with our son because his PAHL organization was stalemating him from growing into a better hockey player. With both AAA programs in PGH at the squirt level, you are getting better coaching and training than you will at most PAHL organizations. Sometimes you luck out in PAHL and get a good coach that either played before or is just a good athlete and knows how to teach the kids. 

I’ll be the first to admit my kid isn’t the best around. He has a lot of growing to do, but he’s only in his 3rd year playing and is playing AAA. So he is doing something right to get to that level. 

With that said, he busted his butt the last 2 seasons in PAHL with TK and a few NE D camps. This past spring, (Covid), he worked on his hands and shooting more.  Now he is a little better as an over all D man. He can shoot a lot better than last year and he has better hands too. In practices and some times screwing around with his buddies, he will play wing so he can learn more than just D. He just loves D so much, that’s why he plays it. Always has since he started skating and watching the Pens on tv. 

My biggest advice, and I tell this to my kid every single day we drive to the rink. Listen to your coaches, go hard, but most importantly HAVE FUN. If it’s not fun then you shouldn’t be doing it. Hard work it at practice makes it easier to have fun playing the game.

Never force your kid to go to camps and extra stuff either. Always give them the option. I present what camps are out there and what optional practices and training he can go to. I suggest taking days off. If he wants to go, he is going as long as he gives it is all and has fun. It’s all about fun. Even at the AAA level. It’s just harder. 

5 minutes ago, aaaahockey said:

"AAA" (Tier 1) literally does not start until they are older. No matter how you want to frame it or what you want to call yourself.  

I know what you mean. But some people just like to bash the younger kids trying to play AAA at the lower ages. I feel AAA at squirt level is preparing them mentally for the work that’s is going to come when they hit the older age AAA. If they can’t mentally make it now, how will they ever make it then?

• Confused 1
  • Money 1

5 hours ago, TheBigGuy said:

I know what you mean. But some people just like to bash the younger kids trying to play AAA at the lower ages. I feel AAA at squirt level is preparing them mentally for the work that’s is going to come when they hit the older age AAA. If they can’t mentally make it now, how will they ever make it then?

You mean if they can't act like an adult at ten they are all washed up? Squirt parents are nuts. Burn your child out by 12.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • 100 2

13 minutes ago, Saucey said:

You mean if they can't act like an adult at ten they are all washed up? Squirt parents are nuts. Burn your child out by 12.

I was about to say "Yeah, just like a 9 year old is ready to join the military, if he isn't mentally tough enough now, when will he ever be?"  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fist Bump 1

Skating, Skating, Skating.  My son plays tier 1 midget and the best thing he did was work to be the best and strongest skater when he was younger. When he started getting stronger he worked hours a day on his shot, and home and at stick time.  Lastly, small area games 1v1 2v2 puck possession and protection. Just my opinion, this is what worked for my son

• Like 4

2 hours ago, howard1 said:

Skating, Skating, Skating.  My son plays tier 1 midget and the best thing he did was work to be the best and strongest skater when he was younger. When he started getting stronger he worked hours a day on his shot, and home and at stick time.  Lastly, small area games 1v1 2v2 puck possession and protection. Just my opinion, this is what worked for my son

How many AAA coaches did he need at 7 years old?  Asking for a friend. 

2 hours ago, carroll81 said:

In addition to above, play basketball (or soccer and lacrosse), preferably with good coaches.  Helps learn spacing, time and distance.

That's good advice for everyone. Usually the kids who have taken time to develop as all around athletes end up being the best. 

1 hour ago, Danner27 said:

Where is that ? Just curious. I agree with skating, teams and coaches don’t matter much at squirts, skating & having fun is important at that age. 

My son didnt play AAA at squirts.  In fact he didnt move up to that level until bantam. My point to the OP is if you want to become a better defenseman, you need to work on skating first, then shooting as u get stronger then small area games. Skating lesson can be taken as a squirt i dont think that is a stretch. As far as small area games, kids love it, at least the kids i have been around. They love the competition and seem to enjoy while getting a lot out of it, even at squirts.

look i agree with you all that you dont need to be AAA as a squirt to be a “stud”,later on. However, working on the fundamentals i listed above and becoming good at them is a recipe for sucess whether you are a B, A, or AA player.

2 hours ago, howard1 said:

My son didnt play AAA at squirts.  In fact he didnt move up to that level until bantam. My point to the OP is if you want to become a better defenseman, you need to work on skating first, then shooting as u get stronger then small area games. Skating lesson can be taken as a squirt i dont think that is a stretch. As far as small area games, kids love it, at least the kids i have been around. They love the competition and seem to enjoy while getting a lot out of it, even at squirts.

look i agree with you all that you dont need to be AAA as a squirt to be a “stud”,later on. However, working on the fundamentals i listed above and becoming good at them is a recipe for sucess whether you are a B, A, or AA player.

The voice of reason.  This is what I keep preaching which is until Bantam it really doesn't matter. That doesn't mean you need to settle for any coach in pahl or not try to find competitive teams but it does mean a lot of squirt and even peewee parents think waaaaay more of their kids than reality suggests.  Seems like everyone has the excuse that their kid is so damn good pahl just isn't good enough for them but when they get cut and have to roster at AA or even playing PIHL those facts don't show themselves as apparent.  And ESPECIALLY if we are talking about the Pens black teams. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, aaaahockey said:

I think most people are realizing this.   The pens black teams dying are a good sign of the times.  

Here’s the winning scenario. Take that 10k a year and use it on hell, even private lessons.  Have your kid obliterate PIHL and be the BMOC. Watch as he shares the ice in ACHA with some kid who played “AAA” since squirts. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • ROTF 1