MidAms

Apparently at-large bids just go to highest ranking teams left?  

Also they keep their rankings for seeding purposes? At 14U Mission and PPE kept #2 and #3 seeds respectively despite losing districts and have much easier path to winning their respective divisions. 

3 minutes ago, pickle said:

Apparently at-large bids just go to highest ranking teams left?  

Also they keep their rankings for seeding purposes? At 14U Mission and PPE kept #2 and #3 seeds respectively despite losing districts and have much easier path to winning their respective divisions. 

I was curious about that as well looking at seedling differences between ‘08 Pens and Vengeance 

Edited by Lucky17
Clarifying my meaning

• 10 months later...

Does anyone know when the selections will be made public?  Or will the MidAm make you wait and search to find the information.  I believe they use MHR to determine who makes the field.  Is there a cut off date or do they go up to 2 weeks before the Tournament?   AA MidAms are scheduled for March 7 to 10.  Do we know where yet by age group?

12 minutes ago, Corsi said:

Nothing has been posted as of yet and according to some friends who officiate games, there has not been any dates/times sent to prospective referees yet to gauge availability.

Messages have been sent to officials; they asked for availability.

• Like 1

On 2/24/2024 at 4:59 PM, ice is cold said:

As long as mid am gets their $$, pretty sure they don't care who is there and who is not. 

The end goal is to identify players to send to the national camp, right? So with that in mind if you were running things how would you improve the process?

28 minutes ago, Nepotisim_anyone said:

I’d love for someone to explain what criteria determines who gets accepted or nominated. Shouldn’t it be driven entirely by stats? 

HAHA, try to find some stats!  Especially in the PAHL.  Kids nominated by Coaches!  Teams can make up whatever stats they want for independent team players!  MidAm tryouts a total joke! Coaches kids nominated most often!

• Like 1
  • Fist Bump 1

2 hours ago, Nepotisim_anyone said:

I’d love for someone to explain what criteria determines who gets accepted or nominated. Shouldn’t it be driven entirely by stats? 

The "BETTER" teams get more picks. Coaches pick the kids from their team. They take WAY to many kids off the bat between Western PA, Kentucky, Indiana, Ohio and West Virginia. On top of that EVERY Midam team gets at least 1 invite plus some school teams as long as they are registered with Midams.

To answer your question NO, it absolutely should not go entirely on stats. It SHOULD go to kids that know how to play as a team and not the ones who's parents push them to put up 100 goals and 00 assists.

Like Herb Brooks said  "I'm not looking for the best players, Craig. I'm looking for the right ones."

Unfortunately with Midams that isn't always true either when it comes to the 2nd round. 9 times out of 10 ALL the yellow helmets with get the call back, usually ALL the red helmets and then the coaches kids or kids who's parents know someone at USA hockey and then the best kids to fill the open spots.

• Holy Moly 1

1 hour ago, hockeyisgreat said:

MidAm tryouts a total joke! Coaches kids nominated most often!

You're right about coaches nominating their kids. That's a problem.

I've seen some misses for sure, but overall MidAm tryouts have done a decent job identifying the right kids. We've all seen some yellow buckets not advancing and kids from lesser teams advancing.

The system is not perfect, but it's certainly not a joke. And parents that convey that message and mindset to their kids have already set them up for failure.

• 100 1

24 minutes ago, Pucks11 said:

The "BETTER" teams get more picks. Coaches pick the kids from their team. They take WAY to many kids off the bat between Western PA, Kentucky, Indiana, Ohio and West Virginia. On top of that EVERY Midam team gets at least 1 invite plus some school teams as long as they are registered with Midams.

To answer your question NO, it absolutely should not go entirely on stats. It SHOULD go to kids that know how to play as a team and not the ones who's parents push them to put up 100 goals and 00 assists.

Like Herb Brooks said  "I'm not looking for the best players, Craig. I'm looking for the right ones."

Unfortunately with Midams that isn't always true either when it comes to the 2nd round. 9 times out of 10 ALL the yellow helmets with get the call back, usually ALL the red helmets and then the coaches kids or kids who's parents know someone at USA hockey and then the best kids to fill the open spots.

Yes, the MidAm site states explicitly that "higher ranked teams will receive more spots at evaluations", which makes sense.  I believe the 09 group will be split up into 8 teams, which does seem like too many kids to evaluate in such a short period of time.

You cannot chose who is attending based off of stats, because of the discrepancy in the level of play across teams.  In theory, the harder the schedule the more difficult it will be to put up numbers and vice versa.  The kids on a team that faces stiffer competition should not be penalized because of that just as a players on a team that plays a weaker schedule should not get a boost.

Evaluators won't be able to see who the "right ones" are in that short of a time period.  The evaluation is normally very, very game heavy, so they are looking for the kids that perform the best in game situations.  I like this format because it eliminates the players that focus only on what they learn in skills clinics and are great at stick handling through cones, but don't know how to really play in a game situation.

Nothing is going to be perfect, but at least this format makes sense.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Corsi said:

Yes, the MidAm site states explicitly that "higher ranked teams will receive more spots at evaluations", which makes sense.  I believe the 09 group will be split up into 8 teams, which does seem like too many kids to evaluate in such a short period of time.

You cannot chose who is attending based off of stats, because of the discrepancy in the level of play across teams.  In theory, the harder the schedule the more difficult it will be to put up numbers and vice versa.  The kids on a team that faces stiffer competition should not be penalized because of that just as a players on a team that plays a weaker schedule should not get a boost.

Evaluators won't be able to see who the "right ones" are in that short of a time period.  The evaluation is normally very, very game heavy, so they are looking for the kids that perform the best in game situations.  I like this format because it eliminates the players that focus only on what they learn in skills clinics and are great at stick handling through cones, but don't know how to really play in a game situation.

Nothing is going to be perfect, but at least this format makes sense.

Makes sense if you have the right evaluators with no ties to the MidAm. Bring them in from other Districts! Make the kids all wear black or white helmets with no stickers.  There is a fair way to do it and it's not what is going on right now!

• Like 1
  • 100 1

And while I am complaining about the MidAm why can't they post schedules for the District tournaments?  Is it a secret?  They do NOTHING to promote the sport.  I know the schedules are out already!  Just try to find them!  At least PAHL has schedules up for playoffs!

• Like 1