New Semi Pro team in Pittsburgh

I just watched a few minutes of that YouTube game, there are guys wearing white practice jerseys with numbers taped on the back, a couple of them could barely skate! It's impressive that even 100 people would come to watch that. I did see a fight though, so that could explain it.

• ROTF 2

44 minutes ago, hockeyisgreat said:

Bummer for the players who just wanted to play the game they love!  Hopefully someone can salvage the idea for next year.  Probably couldn't get enough players to travel at their expense!

They can just play men's league. The better beer leagues around here are a higher level of hockey anyway

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Icebucket said:

They can just play men's league. The better beer leagues around here are a higher level of hockey anyway

are the level by looking at you tube is slow to mid c level over all. BUT hey the con man coned them into thinking it was pro level hockey lol....... All it was was travel beer league.

16 minutes ago, PUCKCOVID19 said:

are the level by looking at you tube is slow to mid c level over all. BUT hey the con man coned them into thinking it was pro level hockey lol....... All it was was travel beer league.

Did anyone else see that when they fired the last coach for calling the owner out for stealing money and got fired, all of a sudden the team went to shit and started losing fans??? I'm not defending my friend, but it seemed like he had a good thing going.

17 minutes ago, spilledbeans said:

Did anyone else see that when they fired the last coach for calling the owner out for stealing money and got fired, all of a sudden the team went to shit and started losing fans??? I'm not defending my friend, but it seemed like he had a good thing going.

Huh. A conman stealing money. Who could've saw that coming? 

• Like 1

Team folded due to player issues. Guys no longer wanted to play road games. The schedule was terrible. Guys no longer wanted to keep the commitment they signed up for.  Etc.

Players paid $350 total for the season. That covered jerseys, practice slots, our travel, and hotels. 

Players received $500 for every sponsor sold

The last coach was fired due to the players no longer wanting to play for him. Had nothing to do with the owner.

Edited by Goalsanddreams74

2 hours ago, Goalsanddreams74 said:

Team folded due to player issues. Guys no longer wanted to play road games. The schedule was terrible. Guys no longer wanted to keep the commitment they signed up for.  Etc.

Players paid $350 total for the season. That covered jerseys, practice slots, our travel, and hotels. 

The last coach was fired due to the players no longer wanting to play for him. Had nothing to do with the owner.

Sounds like an owner response. We also know alot of the players. That was not the consensus.

• ROTF 1

1 hour ago, spilledbeans said:

Sounds like an owner response. We also know alot of the players. That was not the consensus.

So what was the consensus?  Why not just finish the season with 4 games left to play? Didn't the players know what they were getting into about 2 weeks into the season?  Finish what you started and move on!  Don't leave the rest of the league hanging! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Goalsanddreams74 said:

It sounded like a disaster from the start. 

I am one of the players. I can show everything from start to finish if you’d like. 
People on the team quit and gave up. 

I believed in finishing the season. 4 games left some of us just wanted to get to the finish line. 

That being said this was a player commitment issue, not an owner issue. 
Nobody on team trusted our owner, but at the end of the day he did fill every obligation he made to the players.

We actually were told from the start the we would be paying $750 and we only ended up paying $350 due to the success of the team and league. 

The last few home games other teams had only sent 10 skaters. Not making it much of a competition. So obviously the level of talent play was way down. 

the league doesn’t care to emphasize the importance of this being a travel hockey team. 

River Monsters were the only team to actually travel and put up decent games on the road. Every away game being within a goal or being lost in overtime. 

the team was sick of other teams not putting in the effort to send actual teams to compete for us. 

Also got to the point that a lot of guys were just embarrassed to play in this league and didn’t want any part of it anymore. 

our last home game north shore sent 4 original rostered players on their team. The rest was made up of adult league players who were playing in the UPMC Lemieux classic down the road. They used adult league players from the town to fill in for the game. It was just a joke at that point. Teams didn’t want to show up for us so why should we show up for them. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Goalsanddreams74 said:

sounds like the player didn't care for the daddy coach either if the team folded due to player commitment ONLY

Unfortunately, the players would have all quit if they had to continue playing for the old coach. 
We were left with very little choices on who to pick. Nobody was really lining up to coach this team or be involved in the league in its first year. Can’t blame anyone for that.
Only choice we had was a players father. 

Like I said. The league continued to look like a joke and guys were embarrassed to be a part of a league who continued to have games cancelled and teams drop out. What’s the point of playing these games when nobody bothered to send a decent squad to us. 

27 minutes ago, Goalsanddreams74 said:

Unfortunately, the players would have all quit if they had to continue playing for the old coach. 
We were left with very little choices on who to pick. Nobody was really lining up to coach this team or be involved in the league in its first year. Can’t blame anyone for that.

Like I said. The league continued to look like a joke and guys were embarrassed to be a part of a league who continued to have games cancelled and teams drop out. What’s the point of playing these games when nobody bothered to send a decent squad to us. 

Dude. You guys got played like a fiddle. Don’t come on here trying to pretend you had such noble gestures to die on your swords. Ice time couldn’t even get paid for. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Goalsanddreams74 said:

then maybe first off should not have fired the first coach, and once that happened. Pgh should have just folded then. 

• 100 1

9 hours ago, PUCKCOVID19 said:

then maybe first off should not have fired the first coach, and once that happened. Pgh should have just folded then. 

The coach was causing 10 players to want to quit especially after the last game he coached. We wouldn’t have had a team if he stayed regardless.

This came down to it being a terrible schedule. And the league never listened to any of the players. We had concerns that nobody ever addressed. 

31 minutes ago, Goalsanddreams74 said:

This came down to it being a terrible schedule. And the league never listened to any of the players. We had concerns that nobody ever addressed. 

I can sympathize with you, I really can, but honestly what did all of you expect going into this?  You said nobody wanted to travel to play you.  That's because the make-up of the teams you were playing were adults with full time jobs and possibly young families.  Like most adult league teams.  Can you blame anyone for choosing (or needing) to stay home?  It's why 99.9% of beer league players only play at their local rink in a league that works with the personal and professional schedule.  

I think it's great that you guys all shared the same vision and wanted to make this work, but finding decent competition in a competent organized league was going to be damn near impossible.  I said this last year when this team was announced, but history tends to repeat itself.  See the MAHL in 2008.  Anyone who remembers that league probably saw this coming from a mile away. 

The owner and all of his personal business aside, the concept of the team and league were flawed from the start, and it's you guys -the players - that were let down.