New Semi Pro team in Pittsburgh

1 hour ago, Racchi’s Rug said:

A buddy of mine tried out on a lark. Career beer leaguer no higher than C and that’s pushing it. 50 or so years of age. Apparently you have to sell a bunch of sponsorships in order to get considered for the roster. To me, that’s a lot for the possible distinction of having a hockeydb entry at best. Also there’s another dude that made the team that never played youth hockey and just began in adult league at Ice Castle and has likely never delivered or received a check (hockey check). Not downplaying peoples’ dreams here but some shit doesn’t compute. If that’s what you want and it makes you happy, go for it. The team and maybe league will likely fold. This is a step down from the old MAHL. Several steps down and that’s not saying a lot. Makes Sticks and Stillettos look like Gary Bettman.

It didn't take long to figure out how this con works. At least for the Pittsburgh team. 

Get a roster of players to sell a bunch of sponsorships, and let them keep some money from "commissions" they receive from that and selling tickets. As long as the sponsorships and tickets minus commission are big or numerous enough to cover ice time, the owner is good. If the rink becomes a "sponsor", maybe get a break on ice time. Brady's Run being a community rink and not being the busiest place in the region would probably do that. That probably had more to do with the move from Printscape than anything else. I'm sure the ice is cheaper there straight off the bat. Probably a bank loan or two in there as well. If it works, fine. If not, keep the sponsorship money, claim bankruptcy, and fold the team. Without having to do much work or put out money yourself. 

On 7/12/2023 at 10:33 PM, ice is cold said:

I guess if you are playing beer league now and can get paid $150/game vs a 6-pack it is compelling. From a fan perspective.... I've got nothing.... 

nobody will be getting paid much if at all. Its sponsor dependent - they don’t have crap for sponsors, look at the leauge webpage.  it’s my understanding the players have to help find sponsors. 

it’s travel beer leauge with the local team run by a con man. This will be over soon 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Danner27 said:

nobody will be getting paid much if at all. Its sponsor dependent - they don’t have crap for sponsors, look at the leauge webpage.  it’s my understanding the players have to help find sponsors. 

it’s travel beer leauge with the local team run by a con man. This will be over soon 

I was100% being sarcastic. Lol.  I originally called out the owner was a con 😂

On 11/19/2023 at 5:08 PM, PUCKCOVID19 said:

judging by all their social media pictures, looks like they had a successful first night in Pittsburgh( well beaver) 

Lol pumping your kid’s scam of a team. Couldn’t make faux AAA locally, couldn’t make youth AA - send him to play faux “juniors” instead. Now he’s a pro Profit! 

Edited by Danner27

On 11/22/2023 at 3:27 AM, nemesis8679 said:

From the Union Hockey League's website:

"The Union Hockey League is hybrid league, a mix between semi-professional hockey and senior hockey, with players being compensated for travel and other expenses via a ticket sales split but allowing them to retain their amateur status. Players can also make a substantial commission by selling season tickets and partnerships. "

So, I guess they earn their own money by hawking tickets, and if ticket sales aren't great, they're on their own with expenses? 

Basically, it’s how a garage band works -  Hawk 20 tickets to your friends so the promoter makes $200 - lets your band open on the bill locally while the touring band coming through is unloading their gear. Pay to play. 

22 hours ago, Danner27 said:

Basically, it’s how a garage band works -  Hawk 20 tickets to your friends so the promoter makes $200 - lets your band open on the bill locally while the touring band coming through is unloading their gear. Pay to play. 

Exactly. With a known conman at the helm. 

• Like 1

Jaison Kelly is a joke of an owner. He has these guys forking out $25 a practice and they're paying to get on the ice for games as well. Literally no hockey knowledge whatsoever, and it's become extremely evident as things have went on. This team actually has a lot of skilled guys who are working hard to play and make this fun for the fans, but Jaison is going to be the reason they have problems. As a caring fan, everyone should know what's really going on here. I have nothing but bad things to say about the guy, and this post is me being nice about it! He's a raging narcissist.

• 100 1

2 hours ago, i am score said:

Why are you so angry lol seems like you really care.

make a new account to dispute you are pumping up your kids bs con team. I see Cunningham’s kid is also On the team, makes even more sense. Don’t worry I won’t say your name, someone once spelled it backwards here. 

Edited by Danner27

2 hours ago, i am score said:

Jaison Kelly is a joke of an owner. He has these guys forking out $25 a practice and they're paying to get on the ice for games as well. Literally no hockey knowledge whatsoever, and it's become extremely evident as things have went on. This team actually has a lot of skilled guys who are working hard to play and make this fun for the fans, but Jaison is going to be the reason they have problems. As a caring fan, everyone should know what's really going on here. I have nothing but bad things to say about the guy, and this post is me being nice about it! He's a raging narcissist.

skill 🙄

11 minutes ago, Danner27 said:

make a new account to dispute you are pumping up your kids bs con team. I see Cunningham’s kid is also On the team, makes even more sense. Don’t worry I won’t say your name, someone once spelled it backwards here. 

I actually have no kids or anybody related to me on the team and joined this as an outsider with some opinions. I don't understand why an adult would be so upset over "kids" playing on any team, I mean who are you to know what's going on with any of the players on that team. The fact that you're on here coming after the same kid multiple times, like come on man. Are you really helping anything? Does anyone actually care what you have to say? NO! They're playing hockey. Who cares. The guys (and "kids") just want to play hockey. Why don't you get out there 😭

3 minutes ago, i am score said:

I actually have no kids or anybody related to me on the team and joined this as an outsider with some opinions. I don't understand why an adult would be so upset over "kids" playing on any team, I mean who are you to know what's going on with any of the players on that team. The fact that you're on here coming after the same kid multiple times, like come on man. Are you really helping anything? Does anyone actually care what you have to say? NO! They're playing hockey. Who cares. The guys (and "kids") just want to play hockey. Why don't you get out there 😭

Confirmed parent. Confirmed parent I am confident it is. I’ve never personally “come after” any kid on here. Parents, probabaly. 

Ive been around hockey 10 year before your 2005 was born. I have a 1998 & 2002 - there is a good chance my boys and I have crossed paths with players and parents from 1996 all the way to 2004 birth years. Many of these parents I still stay in touch with, I’ve made friends all across the county due to hockey. To put it short, I know ALOT of people in the small hockey community we have. Sure some here don’t like my opinions but in reality all I do is call out the BS. 

20 minutes ago, Danner27 said:

Confirmed parent. Confirmed parent I am confident it is. I’ve never personally “come after” any kid on here. Parents, probabaly. 

Ive been around hockey 10 year before your 2005 was born. I have a 1998 & 2002 - there is a good chance my boys and I have crossed paths with players and parents from 1996 all the way to 2004 birth years. Many of these parents I still stay in touch with, I’ve made friends all across the county due to hockey. To put it short, I know ALOT of people in the small hockey community we have. Sure some here don’t like my opinions but in reality all I do is call out the BS. 

Yeah I was actually born between those years! You just look pathetic name dropping people’s kids on here. You claim you’re not coming after the kids but they’re the ones suffering when you’re putting their names on here and listing what they “couldn’t do” and why they’ve “ended up” on what you’ve decided was a bad place to play. I’m sure other factors have played into why they’re on the team right now. Again, you have no idea what’s going on in their lives or why they chose to play there. I am a hockey player who is still currently playing myself and I also know a lot of people. Does that make your opinion more valid? No. You seem like a washed up hockey parent who’s WAY too involved in something that has absolutely nothing to do with them. My parents are probably around your age. If they were saying stuff like this about other people my age, I’d be upset with them. 

I named dropped an adult who has been involved in local hockey for some time. I said nothing about the hockey ability of his son. To me, It makes perfect sense this dad is involved with the con man. 

you are projecting - your kid is the one that couldn’t make faux aaa, aa locally I referred to while replying to your normal screen name. 

see how this works? I’ll explain what you just did. After you started this thread to try and draw attention to your kids new team. You got all worked up, made a new account because EVERYONE here knows a con man put that team together. Court documents are posted that prove it & there is plenty more issues not posted. you come on with a new account claiming  you hate the owner but the “kids” bs. You now realize the sh!t show situation  you got your son in due to people on this thread. To take it further, you mention the “skill” of all these players, how they are just trying to do the right thing. Sorry, when a few of the players are older men just learning to skate in beer leauge, yes “skill” sure as hell can be called into the equitation when you want to call this team a “semi pro” team. I would bet my house this team would not beat one local ACHA M1 or M3 college team. I’ve seen the roster, know many of the names. You know they are charging a few players to cover icetime for practice, you are deflecting - using these few players with poor skill level to tell us the only reason they are on the team. The same reason your own son played on some of those garbage (one that folded during a season because they had a grand total of 11 players with your son - Wooster) faux jr teams - to pay into the bills.

You are a parent, thee parent. Cut your loses now before you waste another year. 

No matter who is playing where, let's not lose the focus here.... 

Jaison Kelly is a con artist. 

He's taking advantage of people once again. Now he's exploiting "semi-pro" hockey players by making them pay him to play. That doesn't sound "semi-pro" to me. 

So the players throw in 25 bucks per practice? Is this every player doing this? Wow. 

• Like 1
  • Epic 1

14 hours ago, nemesis8679 said:

No matter who is playing where, let's not lose the focus here.... 

Jaison Kelly is a con artist. 

He's taking advantage of people once again. Now he's exploiting "semi-pro" hockey players by making them pay him to play. That doesn't sound "semi-pro" to me. 

So the players throw in 25 bucks per practice? Is this every player doing this? Wow. 

That’s all I came on here to say and Danner is already at my throat 😂 Again, I am no parent, I am a local (current) college player who has been following the River Monsters. I feel for the young players who just wanted to stay close to home and this is the option they chose for the time being, and they’re being attacked for it on here. I’ve been in that boat before too where I had to take one option because there wasn’t really much to choose from. It just makes me upset for them. This is who they’re stuck dealing with, a criminal.

15 hours ago, Danner27 said:

I named dropped an adult who has been involved in local hockey for some time. I said nothing about the hockey ability of his son. To me, It makes perfect sense this dad is involved with the con man. 

you are projecting - your kid is the one that couldn’t make faux aaa, aa locally I referred to while replying to your normal screen name. 

see how this works? I’ll explain what you just did. After you started this thread to try and draw attention to your kids new team. You got all worked up, made a new account because EVERYONE here knows a con man put that team together. Court documents are posted that prove it & there is plenty more issues not posted. you come on with a new account claiming  you hate the owner but the “kids” bs. You now realize the sh!t show situation  you got your son in due to people on this thread. To take it further, you mention the “skill” of all these players, how they are just trying to do the right thing. Sorry, when a few of the players are older men just learning to skate in beer leauge, yes “skill” sure as hell can be called into the equitation when you want to call this team a “semi pro” team. I would bet my house this team would not beat one local ACHA M1 or M3 college team. I’ve seen the roster, know many of the names. You know they are charging a few players to cover icetime for practice, you are deflecting - using these few players with poor skill level to tell us the only reason they are on the team. The same reason your own son played on some of those garbage (one that folded during a season because they had a grand total of 11 players with your son - Wooster) faux jr teams - to pay into the bills.

You are a parent, thee parent. Cut your loses now before you waste another year. 

Again, I am a current local college player. Thanks for the non-relevant book you wrote about someone else and his kid!

It’s really not that deep, man. I was just trying to say Kelly is hurting this team and it’s becoming more evident as time passes. I feel for these guys. Just my opinion on a public message board. Glad to see someone cares about what I have to say though!

I especially feel bad for the kid who just turned 18 like less than a month ago that you’re absolutely tearing apart on the internet when I know you have no reason to care about his hockey journey. It’s really just pathetic. But I’ve been reading around on here last night and I can tell you hate hockey and everything about it, and you spend a hell of a lot of time on here even though your kids are not involved anymore. Impossible to have a conversation with someone like you, sir. My response to you last night calling out how you’re talking about other people around my age obviously did nothing and you trashed this kid’s name even more in the post after that. I feel bad that you’re so hyper fixated on bashing his hockey career when it has nothing to do with you and I’m sure you don’t know the half of it. 

Have a good night man.

1 hour ago, i am score said:

That’s all I came on here to say and Danner is already at my throat 😂 Again, I am no parent, I am a local (current) college player who has been following the River Monsters. I feel for the young players who just wanted to stay close to home and this is the option they chose for the time being, and they’re being attacked for it on here. I’ve been in that boat before too where I had to take one option because there wasn’t really much to choose from. It just makes me upset for them. This is who they’re stuck dealing with, a criminal.

I'm curious what oversight this actual "league" has in how owners handle the teams? 

34 days to the first scheduled league games!  Will it actually get off the ground?  What are the odds?  50/50, 25/75.

Will the con-man be the demise of the Pittsburgh team?  Could it survive with someone else running the team?

Maybe Danner should take it over and show us all how to run it!  

Will the league fold before the Pittsburgh team?  So far it looks like 16 committed teams!

Who is the Coach of the Pittsburgh team?  

Would the best Beer League team in SWPA beat the River Monsters?

Can you tell I am bored this morning?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, hockeyisgreat said:

34 days to the first scheduled league games!  Will it actually get off the ground?  What are the odds?  50/50, 25/75.

Will the con-man be the demise of the Pittsburgh team?  Could it survive with someone else running the team?

Maybe Danner should take it over and show us all how to run it!  

Will the league fold before the Pittsburgh team?  So far it looks like 16 committed teams!

Who is the Coach of the Pittsburgh team?  

Would the best Beer League team in SWPA beat the River Monsters?

Can you tell I am bored this morning?

The better mens league teams in the area would beat the river monsters by 10+

• Like 1
  • Are you sure? 1
  • 100 1