New Semi Pro team in Pittsburgh

12 hours ago, hockeyisgreat said:

34 days to the first scheduled league games!  Will it actually get off the ground?  What are the odds?  50/50, 25/75.

Will the con-man be the demise of the Pittsburgh team?  Could it survive with someone else running the team?

Maybe Danner should take it over and show us all how to run it!  

Will the league fold before the Pittsburgh team?  So far it looks like 16 committed teams!

Who is the Coach of the Pittsburgh team?  

Would the best Beer League team in SWPA beat the River Monsters?

Can you tell I am bored this morning?

Tristan Wenzig is the Head Coach. There are assistants but I can’t remember their names!

They play tonight at 8:00 PM vs Buffalo again at Brady’s Run 😁

Edited by i am score
typo

On 7/12/2023 at 11:40 PM, ice is cold said:

According to their website, which I can't figure out the math...all they pay for is exhibition and housing (so id assume no one is moving for this, so Pittsburgh players)

Earn around $150-$250 per week in salary

Travel (transportation, food and lodging) provided 

Zero fees, other than during the exhibition season ($20 per skate)

Up to 4 uniform sets 

Maximum of playing and practicing 3 days a week

Games played during the weekends

Bonuses awarded for performance, playoff wins and team sales 

Detailed stat tracking, will be on Elite Prospects 

All games filmed and live-streamed 

All-Star Game, Stadium Game, Outdoor game and International Game

25 skater spots and 3 goalie spots on every team

Up to 20 teams in the league 

Region heavy travel 

They now have 5 goalies, but are making Facebook posts needing more skaters. So now they are losing players. 

On 7/12/2023 at 10:33 PM, ice is cold said:

I guess if you are playing beer league now and can get paid $150/game vs a 6-pack it is compelling. From a fan perspective.... I've got nothing.... 

They actually were gonna charge me $1000+ to play for the team. So you are basically breaking even. 

• Holy Moly 2

On 12/2/2023 at 6:36 AM, hockeyisgreat said:

34 days to the first scheduled league games!  Will it actually get off the ground?  What are the odds?  50/50, 25/75.

Will the con-man be the demise of the Pittsburgh team?  Could it survive with someone else running the team?

Maybe Danner should take it over and show us all how to run it!  

Will the league fold before the Pittsburgh team?  So far it looks like 16 committed teams!

Who is the Coach of the Pittsburgh team?  

Would the best Beer League team in SWPA beat the River Monsters?

Can you tell I am bored this morning?

A decent Men's league team smoked them in a scrimmage at UPMC I believe before their big signing.  

1 hour ago, Happy Hockey Fan said:

Who was the “big” signing?

Oh, nobody. He meant that in general. There's video of the signing (probably signing money over to the owner is what they signed lol) from the UPMC Center on their Facebook page. The owner looks like he's right out of central casting as a con man, cheap used-car salesman suit and all. I'm surprised he stopped short of blowing cigar smoke in the faces of the players while they signed their papers. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, nemesis8679 said:

Oh, nobody. He meant that in general. There's video of the signing (probably signing money over to the owner is what they signed lol) from the UPMC Center on their Facebook page. The owner looks like he's right out of central casting as a con man, cheap used-car salesman suit and all. I'm surprised he stopped short of blowing cigar smoke in the faces of the players while they signed their papers. 

I guess I missed the sarcasm. Haha 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

River Monsters playing this weekend!  4-0 to start the season. Playing the Sun Praire Killer Bees. Anybody see any games so far?  Were the home games well attended?  At least the league got off the ground!  Hopefully the guys playing are having fun!

• ROTF 1
  • 100 1

Reminds me of the show, “Shorsey” on Hulu. It’s essentially 2 seasons of Canadian senior hockey players telling one-liners and your mom jokes. Kinda entertaining. Not for everyone. But definitely has its moments.

On 2/1/2024 at 11:21 AM, hockeyisgreat said:

River Monsters playing this weekend!  4-0 to start the season. Playing the Sun Praire Killer Bees. Anybody see any games so far?  Were the home games well attended?  At least the league got off the ground!  Hopefully the guys playing are having fun!

Yes and they’re blowing every team out of the water! Last home games they scored 16 goals each game and only let up 5 & 4. Sunday game they barely put their good guys out and still scored that many. Very fun to watch and a decent amount of fights. Saturday night games draw a big crowd, don’t know about Sundays yet. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, i am score said:

Yes and they’re blowing every team out of the water! Last home games they scored 16 goals each game and only let up 5 & 4. Sunday game they barely put their good guys out and still scored that many. Very fun to watch and a decent amount of fights. Saturday night games draw a big crowd, don’t know about Sundays yet. 

Sounds like they need to move up a division 🤣

• ROTF 3

1 hour ago, Law said:

I have a friend who has a kid playing on that team. I can't speak for others, but his kid hasn't got paid. So there's that.

I said it from the day the team was announced. They will collect sponsor money, then at some point in the season the team will fold and the owner will walk with a pocket full of cash 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Law said:

I have a friend who has a kid playing on that team. I can't speak for others, but his kid hasn't got paid. So there's that.

Yeah, they have to sell ads and sponsorships. This is supposedly where their "pay" comes from... not sure at what point they were supposedly going to start to see any money. But rest assured that however this all was presented and sold to the players, there was never any intent for anyone to see money other than the sleazeball "owner". 

Just taking advantage of the players, who could be doing the same thing by playing beer league. It would've been less work.

On 2/10/2024 at 2:02 PM, Icebucket said:

I said it from the day the team was announced. They will collect sponsor money, then at some point in the season the team will fold and the owner will walk with a pocket full of cash 

He will be kicked out of the league before the season is half way over and someone else will take it over

21 hours ago, nemesis8679 said:

Yeah, they have to sell ads and sponsorships. This is supposedly where their "pay" comes from... not sure at what point they were supposedly going to start to see any money. But rest assured that however this all was presented and sold to the players, there was never any intent for anyone to see money other than the sleazeball "owner". 

Just taking advantage of the players, who could be doing the same thing by playing beer league. It would've been less work.

He won't be owner too much longer