Feel free to post tryout dates in this thread but there's a conversation I did want to get started.

Perhaps I've never noticed it in the past but is there much more overlap/conflicts in tryout schedules this year?  It's like the organizations are forcing kids to make a decision and stick with it and whatever happens...happens.  There may be alot of good players without homes if they get cut from their incumbant team.  Of course, I think we all know there's a way for some of these kids to find their way onto another comparable team, backup plans so to speak.  But it just seems that this year is going to be do or die with all of the conflicts.  

Thoughts?

2 hours ago, Ihearthockey said:

Feel free to post tryout dates in this thread but there's a conversation I did want to get started.

Perhaps I've never noticed it in the past but is there much more overlap/conflicts in tryout schedules this year?  It's like the organizations are forcing kids to make a decision and stick with it and whatever happens...happens.  There may be alot of good players without homes if they get cut from their incumbant team.  Of course, I think we all know there's a way for some of these kids to find their way onto another comparable team, backup plans so to speak.  But it just seems that this year is going to be do or die with all of the conflicts.  

Thoughts?

I’ve not noticed, do you have any examples?

1 hour ago, Nepotisim_anyone said:

Agree! Tons of overlap.

I don’t know why orgs / coaches aren’t upfront & straightforward with kids. Yes, you have a spot on the team or time to look elsewhere. Seems easy enough. 

Most AA and AAA does do that, and pretty openly. It's A Major and A Minor that have to play more of a guessing game year to year. 

4 hours ago, Ihearthockey said:

So for 2010

PV - 4/15-17

Esmark - 4/15-17

Aviators - 4/17-19

NP - 4/13-17

Foxes - 4/15-17

Crazy...roll the dice this year.  

I didn't go quite as far as you but 08 seems pretty similar with a lot of overalap. Seems like a little more lag prior to the AA tryouts after AAA but you gotta pick your horse I guess early.   

57 minutes ago, Elitedaddy said:

For 2010, I signed my son up for the Pittsburgh Predators AAA tryout. They impressed me in mid ams. That tryout is 4/13-4/15

They went 1-2 and were out scored 17-9 and that impressed you? 

• Haha 1
  • ROTF 2
  • 100 1

6 minutes ago, Elitedaddy said:

Absolutely! I watched the games and spoke to the staff-we can reconvene here next year! Let me know how many D1 athletes you  have in your home. 

Does being a former one myself count?

• Epic 1

8 minutes ago, Elitedaddy said:

Absolutely! I watched the games and spoke to the staff-we can reconvene here next year! Let me know how many D1 athletes you  have in your home. 

4 including one who played two sports.  Not sure how that makes the preds legitimate or not but they are almost a bigger money grab than pens black. 

15 hours ago, Elitedaddy said:

Sure it counts! But there are different perspectives in sport and not one linear path. Lift up all kids and do not insult those who have produced players. 

This is not a dis to the players on the Preds U18 team, but do you really think a team that was ranked 105th out of 125 teams is “producing players” when they can’t sniff MidAms, get a game with a top 40 team while their U18 AA team was ranked higher?

https://myhockeyrankings.com/rank.php?y=2023&v=118

https://myhockeyrankings.com/association_info.php?a=55

Edited by fafa fohi
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Elitedaddy said:

Sure it counts! But there are different perspectives in sport and not one linear path. Lift up all kids and do not insult those who have produced players. 

Not to completely derail this thread, but the Preds are a joke. You mentioned you “spoke to the coaching staff”. That’s great. They will tell you anything you want to hear to get your tryout money and if your kid sucks up to them enough, or your wife is hot and flirtatious, your kid will make the team. However, he won’t see any playing minutes unless you are ponying up and taking weekly private or small group lessons with the coach. Thats a fact. DM me for more info. I know these guys personally and have for many years. Nothing ever changes. Ask some of the 08-12’s who have left because of those exact reasons.

They over promise, under deliver, and over charge you. 

• Like 2
  • 100 3
  • Fist Bump 1

5 hours ago, Elitedaddy said:

If anyone can give me further and more specific details about the Pittsburgh predators leadership and the 2010 head coach, I would appreciate it. I don’t want to make a mistake.

I struggle with this because I think everyone's experience is their own story.  What I will say about mine is, the squeaky wheel gets the grease and if you're willing to invest in private lessons with their coaching staff, your player will get more ice time.  Not because it's earned, because you are padding their pockets.  They will tell you what they think you want to hear and will sell the same story to others on the team.  Folks will argue the same about other organizations, but I can't speak to that so my comments are specific to this coach and org. Good luck with your decision- I know it's tough!