2022 WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA PENGUIN CUP SCHEDULE

1 hour ago, SM14 said:

HHF

You're correct it is totally different.  The East uses the same system that all schools in the State use - for non-boundary (public) schools.  And that's enrollment.  The numbers are submitted to the PIAA every two years.  It's male (or female) enrollment in grades 9-11 on 10/1 (I believe). So on 10/1/21 teams submit their enrollment numbers to the PIAA.  That's the school's number used for classification for the following two years.  It is meant to reflect your potential pool of athletes.  That's also when teams could change classifications.  All non-boundary (Catholic, Private, Prep, etc.) in the East are in AAA.  The theory being that those schools are comprised of players from all those public schools. 

The last two years the number dividing A and AA in the East was 620.  The line is usually drawn for hockey at a natural break point somewhere around 600.  The smallest AA school in the East is Wm Tennent (633) and the largest A school was Garnet Valley (602) during the last round of enrollments.  So the line was drawn between those two schools.  Norwin's male enrollment number in the last round was 620, so in theory they would have been the largest A school - or the smallest AA school.  West Chester East's number was 522.  The system is not subjective and takes opinion, how good you were last year, etc. out of the equation.

Appreciate the info about the East. Always wondered but nobody could really give me a full answer. And the answer is pretty straight forward. But I always knew they were different. 

15 hours ago, Happy Hockey Fan said:

And Montour, 297. How do you justify that? Your argument holds no water. There are NINE schools with higher enrollment numbers than Montour playing below them. Some of them have almost twice the enrollment of Montour. The system is jacked up no matter how you look at it. At the very least both sides of the state should be using the exact same criteria for placement. 

you didn’t address the fact that if you win two state championships in the west, you are absolutely getting moved up in classification. But you can win seven in a row in the East and you can  still remain in the smallest classification. If you can’t see that, you are ignoring simple facts. 

nothing you have said can explain that what happens in the East and West are totally different. 

please explain to me how this is fair. With examples, like I provided to show how unfair the current system is. 

I don't know why the West does it the way they do.  They do it different than any other sport in the state. 

You will never get moved in the East, unless your enrollment changes.  It is very subjective. 

For teams that struggle to compete at their level or need to combine program to be able to field a team, there is a D2 division (at least in the ICSHL).  Those teams are not eligible for Flyers Cup.

6 minutes ago, carroll81 said:

I don't know why the West does it the way they do.  They do it different than any other sport in the state. 

You will never get moved in the East, unless your enrollment changes.  It is very subjective. 

For teams that struggle to compete at their level or need to combine program to be able to field a team, there is a D2 division (at least in the ICSHL).  Those teams are not eligible for Flyers Cup.

So why doesn't the ICSHL D-2 champ play the PIHL D-2 champ?  Call it what ever you want it might be an interesting game for the kids whose schools can't field a team on their own.  It's not the players fault where they live, so why make them feel like second class citizens?