New Semi Pro team in Pittsburgh

3 hours ago, Law said:

So you would rather watch fights then. Because I'm pretty sure that Pitt and IUP would have their way with the River Monsters.

Any local western pa college club m1-m3 team would have had their way with this team. I watched some of the YouTube stuff - brutal. 2 older guys that could play, lots of guys that never took a skating lesson in their life, couldn’t use their edges. Some young kids that wouldn’t make any local acha teams. It was just bad. 

Edited by Danner27
  • 100 1

On 4/17/2024 at 4:21 PM, PUCKCOVID19 said:

someone was saying at the hockey store today that this team is going to try and field a team next season too......HOW?

Lmfao - guessing you are one of the “parents” that didn’t like the coaching change? Time for a user name change or put your kid back In Wooster for “Junior” hockey. Oh wait, that folded too…………..

Edited by Danner27

2 hours ago, Danner27 said:

Lmfao - guessing you are one of the “parents” that didn’t like the coaching change? Time for a user name change or put your kid back In Wooster for “Junior” hockey. Oh wait, that folded too…………..

With the guy running it and the team folding, no one is going to play for that team next season.

I agree, 

I liked the Coach before. I wouldn’t say he had a winning record cause he went 4-3 or 4-4. But still he was a players coach. Honestly not that hard to coach this league. Not a knock at him. 
That coach and our captain held that team together.
Our captain then had to deal with everything our owner did after that coach left. 

8 hours ago, Danner27 said:

Any local western pa college club m1-m3 team would have had their way with this team. I watched some of the YouTube stuff - brutal. 2 older guys that could play, lots of guys that never took a skating lesson in their life, couldn’t use their edges. Some young kids that wouldn’t make any local acha teams. It was just bad. 

There was a time when the team was actually good and could compete.  

had 3 ex Fed players 

3 ex D1 Club players 

5 ex D3 club players 

and couple ex USPHL players. 

but again that’s when everyone would show up. Last game we had that was the regular season home opener against Niagara and the home game against Toledo. 

2 hours ago, Goalsanddreams74 said:

I agree, 

I liked the Coach before. I wouldn’t say he had a winning record cause he went 4-3 or 4-4. But still he was a players coach. Honestly not that hard to coach this league. Not a knock at him. 
That coach and our captain held that team together.
Our captain then had to deal with everything our owner did after that coach left. 

When he got fired you guys were 4-2-1 in the regular season. The 2 games lost in regulation you guys didn't have all your players travel and didn't have your starting goalie but still put up a fight. He told us how proud he was of the team and their effort and how you guys battled back. The same thing happened in your overtime loss against Michigan. But again that schedule was not made to be easy for the working man. I believe the driving time to the 2 games you lost in regulation was like 9 hours or some crazy shit like that. My buddy loved everyone on that team. He told me some crazy shit that this owner of the league did and wouldn't listen to things he brought up. Apparently they wanted no more than 3 refs on the ice to save money. I seriously loved watching the games and will miss it. It was truly entertaining and to see that many people come to that rink, I cant tell you the last time I seen that many people in that rink. It was truly a great atmosphere. I hope someone can take it over and make this a legit thing.

But with the owner and all his legal trouble, I highly doubt anyone will tryout for that team.

7 hours ago, Goalsanddreams74 said:

There was a time when the team was actually good and could compete.  

had 3 ex Fed players 

3 ex D1 Club players 

5 ex D3 club players 

and couple ex USPHL players. 

but again that’s when everyone would show up. Last game we had that was the regular season home opener against Niagara and the home game against Toledo. 

Didn't the players know what the travel schedule would be like before they agreed to play for the team?  How could it have been different?  Were they mad that teams weren't bringing their best to Pittsburgh?  I heard good things about the home games to begin the season! 

8 hours ago, hockeyisgreat said:

Didn't the players know what the travel schedule would be like before they agreed to play for the team?  How could it have been different?  Were they mad that teams weren't bringing their best to Pittsburgh?  I heard good things about the home games to begin the season! 

Exactly what I said earlier. Nobody was traveling to Pittsburgh or bringing a good squad. Closest game we won by 5 goals at home. Why should we travel and put on a good show for them if nobody wanted to travel to us. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Goalsanddreams74 said:

Exactly what I said earlier. Nobody was traveling to Pittsburgh or bringing a good squad. Closest game we won by 5 goals at home. Why should we travel and put on a good show for them if nobody wanted to travel to us. 

Especially after the last game. The other twam only brought what 4 maybe 5 guys from their team and recruited a bunch of players from the tournament at umpc rink.

41 minutes ago, Goalsanddreams74 said:

Well I can now say he for sure has not paid the players the $500 they were supposed to get if they sold a sponsor. 

And they should each take that con man to the magistrate. 

7 hours ago, Goalsanddreams74 said:

Well I can now say he for sure has not paid the players the $500 they were supposed to get if they sold a sponsor. 

How closely did you read those contracts you guys signed? Knowing the owners history, it's safe to assume he planned on screwing people over from the start.

He probably snuck something in there where you guys owe him money every time you lace them up 😂

8 hours ago, Goalsanddreams74 said:

Any idea how many sponsors were sold?  He probably has no accountant or  accounting for how the money was spent!  Such a bummer!

12 hours ago, hockeyisgreat said:

Any idea how many sponsors were sold?  He probably has no accountant or  accounting for how the money was spent!  Such a bummer!

I think 5-6 players sold sponsors and they were to get $500 for each sponsor sold. 
So he should have handed out $2500 -$3000 to the players. 

13 hours ago, Icebucket said:

How closely did you read those contracts you guys signed? Knowing the owners history, it's safe to assume he planned on screwing people over from the start.

He probably snuck something in there where you guys owe him money every time you lace them up 😂

Like I said already. We all only paid $350 in total to play for the season. 20 games and full jerseys and equipment I’ll take that any day. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Goalsanddreams74 said:

Like I said already. We all only paid $350 in total to play for the season. 20 games and full jerseys and equipment I’ll take that any day. 

Paid for by your teammates' sponsorships they didn't get paid for.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, No Politics said:

Maybe I'm not understanding this team, but why is this posted under the "Western Pennsylvania YOUTH Hockey" thread?

I think it was put here originally to make people aware of the potential problems associated with the team. Most of what was speculated has come true!  And another thing for us all to gossip about!

2 hours ago, No Politics said:

Maybe I'm not understanding this team, but why is this posted under the "Western Pennsylvania YOUTH Hockey" thread?

He has a kid who plays and he coaches. It's not a bad thing to alert the general community regarding what is going on so no organization gives him access to a bank account. 

• Like 2
  • 100 1

52 minutes ago, Saucey said:

He has a kid who plays and he coaches. It's not a bad thing to alert the general community regarding what is going on so no organization gives him access to a bank account. 

Not only that, but the players from the River Monsters largely played youth hockey in the area. We talk about college hockey as well.

• Like 1