MidAms

3 minutes ago, hockeyisgreat said:

And while I am complaining about the MidAm why can't they post schedules for the District tournaments?  Is it a secret?  They do NOTHING to promote the sport.  I know the schedules are out already!  Just try to find them!  At least PAHL has schedules up for playoffs!

image.png.420bb80daff719b9121c4dcda96d901f.pngIt's on the Midams website.

Edited by Pucks11

6 minutes ago, hockeyisgreat said:

And while I am complaining about the MidAm why can't they post schedules for the District tournaments?  Is it a secret?  They do NOTHING to promote the sport.  I know the schedules are out already!  Just try to find them!  At least PAHL has schedules up for playoffs!

They just posted the schedule for MidAms Tiers 1 and 2.

https://www.midamhockey.com/page/show/8308033-district-tournament

https://www.midamhockey.com/page/show/8308036-state-tournaments

Edited by fafa fohi
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, hockeyisgreat said:

Looks like the entire Pens Elite 2010 team was invited!

Theoretically the elite are at Pens. No way Icemen can make that claim. No matter, when teams are 'evenly' sorted for the weekend the wanna bes are on the outside looking in, even the PPE players.

On 2/26/2024 at 8:21 AM, hockeyisgreat said:

Get Reps from the National Camp to run it! 

Not allow any identifying equipment!  All the way down to Gloves and Socks!

But it will never happen!  Politics in Youth Sports is everywhere! Hockey is no different!

I get the idea about having people from outside MidAm run the camp, but the gloves, socks, helmets argument doesn't matter.  At each age group they distribute a "scouting book" which identifies the players, gives vitals (height/weight), as well as stats.  I know the statistics are not guaranteed to be accurate, but players are already able to be identified based off of what MidAm provides to those in attendance.  Worrying about helmet and glove color is irrelevant at that point when all relevant identifying information is provided/available.

3 minutes ago, Corsi said:

I get the idea about having people from outside MidAm run the camp, but the gloves, socks, helmets argument doesn't matter.  At each age group they distribute a "scouting book" which identifies the players, gives vitals (height/weight), as well as stats.  I know the statistics are not guaranteed to be accurate, but players are already able to be identified based off of what MidAm provides to those in attendance.  Worrying about helmet and glove color is irrelevant at that point when all relevant identifying information is provided/available.

1st I have heard of the "scouting book" does it also list the teams they played for last year?  If so why do they waste time on tryouts if the Pens Elite are supposed to be the best of the best?

On 2/27/2024 at 9:52 AM, Saucey said:

Theoretically the elite are at Pens. No way Icemen can make that claim. No matter, when teams are 'evenly' sorted for the weekend the wanna bes are on the outside looking in, even the PPE players.

See this is the problem with hockey. 

"Theoretically" a lot of people may not want to pay for or have the funds to pay for Excel, Pens, and North Catholic as you would probably pay about $30,000+ for the season. Some people may not want to run their kids 50 minutes both directions to play for Pens. Your top 5-6 players and maybe goalies at Pens are possibly at another level but after that most of the other players are interchangeable with the top players from the other high level local teams.  That's why it shouldn't be a free ride for certain organizations and they need to attempt to be as fair as possible.  I think Mid Am does a pretty good job.  It will never be perfect and there is always room for improvement.

• Like 1
  • 100 1

1 hour ago, hockeyisgreat said:

1st I have heard of the "scouting book" does it also list the teams they played for last year?  If so why do they waste time on tryouts if the Pens Elite are supposed to be the best of the best?

Yes, my understanding is MidAm asks for...  Name, Height/Weight, Stats (GP, G, A, Pts), Prior Team, and Future Team (if known).  

PPE is the highest ranked team in the District, but that doesn't mean that the other programs don't have individual players that can play at that level.  Making a blanket statement about it being a waste of time doesn't make any sense.

1 hour ago, Corsi said:

Yes, my understanding is MidAm asks for...  Name, Height/Weight, Stats (GP, G, A, Pts), Prior Team, and Future Team (if known).  

PPE is the highest ranked team in the District, but that doesn't mean that the other programs don't have individual players that can play at that level.  Making a blanket statement about it being a waste of time doesn't make any sense.

It's been a few years but we found it to be a giant waste of time. I am not the only one. I don't think it hurts to go, but to move on as a Tier 2 player is....the exception for sure.

• 100 1

52 minutes ago, Saucey said:

It's been a few years but we found it to be a giant waste of time. I am not the only one. I don't think it hurts to go, but to move on as a Tier 2 player is....the exception for sure.

Without being familiar with the make-up of all of the PAHL/Independent Tier 2 teams, I'm not sure how many players from non Tier 1 teams even received evaluation invites...  Yes, if their is a limited number of spots for Tier 2 players, then that alone makes it difficult to advance.

I think that there’s two different understanding of the title “MidAms” on this thread. One is the MidAm tournament that leads directly into Nationals. Tier 1 and Tier 2.

The other is individual tryouts for MidAms that lead to the National Developmental Team.

While scrolling through this thread it’s challenging to follow along. Different interpretations by a lot of people.

With that said. Armstrong 18U AA wins today against Mt Lebanon 18U AA 5-2 (empty net goal) to move on to nationals. The competition at by all of the representative PAHL teams was outstanding, in my opinion. This season was one of the best in terms of competitive balance by the top 5-6 teams in AA as I can recall. It’s a shame that only one PAHL team gets to go on to nationals. This league was probably as deep as its ever been.

Best of luck to the PAHL 18U AA Champions— Armstrong Arrows as they move on to USA Nationals in Delmont, PA.

Edited by Rewster
  • Like 2
  • Barf 1

59 minutes ago, Rewster said:

I think that there’s two different understanding of the title “MidAms” on this thread. One is the MidAm tournament that leads directly into Nationals. Tier 1 and Tier 2.

The other is individual tryouts for MidAms that lead to the National Developmental Team.

While scrolling through this thread it’s challenging to follow along. Different interpretations by a lot of people.

With that said. Armstrong 18U AA wins today against Mt Lebanon 18U AA 5-2 (empty net goal) to move on to nationals. The competition at by all of the representative PAHL teams was outstanding, in my opinion. This season was one of the best in terms of competitive balance by the top 5-6 teams in AA as I can recall. It’s a shame that only one PAHL team gets to go on to nationals. This league was probably as deep as its ever been.

Best of luck to the PAHL 18U AA Champions— Armstrong Arrows as they move on to USA Nationals in Delmont, PA.

armstrong was the best all season, Lee has them playing hard nosed physical hockey and these boys have skills too.

• Like 1
  • Barf 1
  • Fist Bump 1