New Semi Pro team in Pittsburgh

1 hour ago, Goalsanddreams74 said:

The coach was causing 10 players to want to quit especially after the last game he coached. We wouldn’t have had a team if he stayed regardless.

This came down to it being a terrible schedule. And the league never listened to any of the players. We had concerns that nobody ever addressed. 

Was this the coach from the beginning of the season or the guy who was an assistant, became head coach, then got fired after he brought in a bunch of new players?

2 hours ago, sample39 said:

I can sympathize with you, I really can, but honestly what did all of you expect going into this?  You said nobody wanted to travel to play you.  That's because the make-up of the teams you were playing were adults with full time jobs and possibly young families.  Like most adult league teams.  Can you blame anyone for choosing (or needing) to stay home?  It's why 99.9% of beer league players only play at their local rink in a league that works with the personal and professional schedule.  

I think it's great that you guys all shared the same vision and wanted to make this work, but finding decent competition in a competent organized league was going to be damn near impossible.  I said this last year when this team was announced, but history tends to repeat itself.  See the MAHL in 2008.  Anyone who remembers that league probably saw this coming from a mile away. 

The owner and all of his personal business aside, the concept of the team and league were flawed from the start, and it's you guys -the players - that were let down.  

We knew it was a long shot. Trust me. We had some good guys who’ve played way better hockey than this. Couple of Fed and NCAA D3 and ACHA D1 - D3 guys that made up the core.

We knew we all had work Monday morning. It more so was the travel being 7-8 hours for one game. At least make it a weekend series. That was the problem. Nobody wanted to hike 8 hours play a game then hike another 8 back home. 
But we had the core group of guys always travel. It was the guys that never really fully committed that cause the problem at the end. More of a question of “do I want to play this weekend” instead of “I have a game this weekend” nobody was committed. 

On 4/15/2024 at 12:30 AM, CranjisMcBasketball said:

Dude. You guys got played like a fiddle. Don’t come on here trying to pretend you had such noble gestures to die on your swords. Ice time couldn’t even get paid for. 

Ice time was paid. Yes we are all aware it was late a time or two but honestly what organization hasn’t been late. But it was paid for. 

Not dying on the sword pal, just explaining to everyone the story. 

I already had told everyone in this thread that nobody trusted our owner. We all saw the news. We all have phones. People talk. 

I’m just stating the story of the season. It was more so the league then the Owner.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Goalsanddreams74 said:

I’m just stating the story of the season. It was more so the league then the Owner.  

Not totally shocked to hear that. The league is the entity that accepted someone like that as an owner. So that tells everyone something right away.

10 hours ago, Goalsanddreams74 said:

Ice time was paid. Yes we are all aware it was late a time or two but honestly what organization hasn’t been late. But it was paid for. 

I already had told everyone in this thread that nobody trusted our owner. We all saw the news. We all have phones. People talk. 

I admire you guys for giving it a go.  Too many people here were just waiting for it to fail!  This forum seems to be for everyone to complain about something so don't take anything personally!

• 100 1

15 hours ago, Goalsanddreams74 said:

I hate to say it but you drank the kool aid. I’ve heard from vendors, other players, sponsors that the owner robbed you blind. He owes everyone. Kept all the sponsorships money. Owes vendors. Portion of ticket sales goes back to players but he kept it. He’s a professional con artist. Look at his history. Goes on for decades, yet he always beats the system. Our court system is a joke

3 minutes ago, Sendhimaway55 said:

I hate to say it but you drank the kool aid. I’ve heard from vendors, other players, sponsors that the owner robbed you blind. He owes everyone. Kept all the sponsorships money. Owes vendors. Portion of ticket sales goes back to players but he kept it. He’s a professional con artist. Look at his history. Goes on for decades, yet he always beats the system. Our court system is a joke

Courts do nothing to white collar criminals. If this thief stole the same amount or less out of a bank, he'd be in jail.

• 100 1

2 hours ago, Sendhimaway55 said:

We only paid $350 to play organized hockey and play 20 games. A tad bit more then playing 2 “sessions” of 10 adult league games. 
The league promised to have the players paid. No team in the league were paying players.

We actually could have been paid but then we would have had to pay for practice and travel on our own. The players elected to not get paid and have everything else paid for (practices and travel, hotels) 

At the end of every game we really only made $1000 profit after paying for the ice, refs, EMTs, security, etc. 

That profit paid for the travel expenses mostly. 

On 4/15/2024 at 5:16 PM, Spear and Magic Helmet said:

Was this the coach from the beginning of the season or the guy who was an assistant, became head coach, then got fired after he brought in a bunch of new players?

From what I heard the coach was getting backlash from players who thought they were superstars and thought they should have been out there everywhere shift which you guys might have had 2 lines that could actually do that. 

Who cares if the coach brought in other players. I also know other players who wouldn't play since he got let go. One guy was a huge ringer. So because a few players were grumpy over ice time they fired a coach who had a winning record and a successful running at the rink and crowd. If you noticed the crowd got smaller and smaller since he got canned. But hey I'm just friends with the coach and his wife. We got their story and know some of the players personally and they said something completely different than what you're saying.

I'm not here to start drama. I was really rooting for a team in our county as there is really nothing to do on a Saturday night here. It was refreshing walking into a game seeing 400-500 people in the stands. And the fact the the coach got zookys to sponsor and have beer sales at the rink and the owner took credit from the league saying he got it. We will definitely miss going down to watch the games. It was seriously a fun environment. 

Best of luck to you and your teammates for whatever you guys do in the future.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spilledbeans said:

From what I heard the coach was getting backlash from players who thought they were superstars and thought they should have been out there everywhere shift which you guys might have had 2 lines that could actually do that. 

Who cares if the coach brought in other players. I also know other players who wouldn't play since he got let go. One guy was a huge ringer. So because a few players were grumpy over ice time they fired a coach who had a winning record and a successful running at the rink and crowd. If you noticed the crowd got smaller and smaller since he got canned. But hey I'm just friends with the coach and his wife. We got their story and know some of the players personally and they said something completely different than what you're saying.

I'm not here to start drama. I was really rooting for a team in our county as there is really nothing to do on a Saturday night here. It was refreshing walking into a game seeing 400-500 people in the stands. And the fact the the coach got zookys to sponsor and have beer sales at the rink and the owner took credit from the league saying he got it. We will definitely miss going down to watch the games. It was seriously a fun environment. 

Best of luck to you and your teammates for whatever you guys do in the future.

Nothing to do on a Saturday? You have Pitt, Robert Morris, and the Nailers playing on Saturdays.

2 hours ago, nemesis8679 said:

Nothing to do on a Saturday? You have Pitt, Robert Morris, and the Nailers playing on Saturdays.

Don't care for pitt. Rmu team is done for the season and I'm not driving an hour to watch the nailers.

3 hours ago, spilledbeans said:

Don't care for pitt. Rmu team is done for the season and I'm not driving an hour to watch the nailers.

Would rather drive the hour for the Nailers (who have decent food/drink options)than to drive 5 minutes to watch men's league. 

• 100 1

10 hours ago, spilledbeans said:

So you would rather watch fights then. Because I'm pretty sure that Pitt and IUP would have their way with the River Monsters.

18 minutes ago, Law said:

So you would rather watch fights then. Because I'm pretty sure that Pitt and IUP would have their way with the River Monsters.

I live 5 minutes feom the rink. None of those teams are in beaver county. I don't care what anyone says, this was an awesome atmosphere and yes I enjoyed the fights. Fighting is going away from the game. I'm 45 and I love old school hockey. The fights and the hits were why we came and im sure that's why most of the people came. Occasionally there was some really good hockey and some really nice plays. Like I said it brought something to the county that people could afford and have some beers. 

10 minutes ago, spilledbeans said:

I live 5 minutes feom the rink. None of those teams are in beaver county. I don't care what anyone says, this was an awesome atmosphere and yes I enjoyed the fights. Fighting is going away from the game. I'm 45 and I love old school hockey. The fights and the hits were why we came and im sure that's why most of the people came. Occasionally there was some really good hockey and some really nice plays. Like I said it brought something to the county that people could afford and have some beers. 

Why not just go out and watch local men's league games? It's as good a level of hockey or better and you just might see a scrap or two. Plus you can probably bring your own beer most places and not catch any hell for it 

27 minutes ago, spilledbeans said:

Ok, I can understand that. At least you're being honest about it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Icebucket said:

Why not just go out and watch local men's league games? It's as good a level of hockey or better and you just might see a scrap or two. Plus you can probably bring your own beer most places and not catch any hell for it 

No hitting and they aren't playing for anything. Just not fun to watch.