College club hockey - share insights

20 hours ago, Law said:

The people that are in St Louis are thrilled. It's their first Nationals and that is always special and exciting. Huge for St Vincent and the Martz (father-son) coaching tandem. Big congratulations to their program

Looks like a win for them today against Colby!

1 hour ago, hockeyisgreat said:

How good is Adrian?  Did you see the game?  Adrian has a great D-3 team as well!  Not bad for a school that has 1700 total undergrads!

Adrian is a hockey powerhouse.

• Like 1
  • 100 1

2 hours ago, hockeyisgreat said:

How good is Adrian?  Did you see the game?  Adrian has a great D-3 team as well!  Not bad for a school that has 1700 total undergrads!

Hockey budget size is a much, much bigger factor than school size. They also have a rink on campus, which some NCAA schools don't have.

Jeff Docking is a big hockey guy and gets their teams a lot of money. He sort of had a vision like that at W&J, but I don't think he had the support from the administration that he wanted. W&J was a very good ACHA D1 team when he was there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeffrey_Docking

• Like 2

On 3/13/2024 at 10:51 AM, Spear and Magic Helmet said:

Hockey budget size is a much, much bigger factor than school size. They also have a rink on campus, which some NCAA schools don't have.

Jeff Docking is a big hockey guy and gets their teams a lot of money. He sort of had a vision like that at W&J, but I don't think he had the support from the administration that he wanted. W&J was a very good ACHA D1 team when he was there.

Too bad the school itself doesn't have the same credentials. 😞

Does anyone remember Life University back in the 1990s early 2000s? They “were” (I honestly don’t know anymore) a chiropractic school in Georgia that somehow managed to lure in a team full of ringers from Canada that nobody knew anything about. They dominated out of nowhere for several seasons.

On 3/13/2024 at 10:51 AM, Spear and Magic Helmet said:

I don’t know Jeff Docking. I never met him. All I do know, is that he almost pulled off the exact same feat at W&J as he is currently doing at Adrian. Just didn’t quite get the overall push like he wanted from the school. As far as I know/remember, he was thee entire reason W&J had a brief, but illustrious ACHA college hockey flash in the pan. He was the reason why W&J acquired their own Iceoplex locker room, training room,, everything that comes with a traditional legitimate college hockey program during a time where it just didn’t happen (unless you were NCAA).

• 100 1

6 hours ago, Rewster said:

Does anyone remember Life University back in the 1990s early 2000s? They “were” (I honestly don’t know anymore) a chiropractic school in Georgia that somehow managed to lure in a team full of ringers from Canada that nobody knew anything about. They dominated out of nowhere for several seasons.

I absolutely do remember that. The school exists still and coincidentally, one of the better players on the River Monsters is a Canadian who went and played there. I also don't know if Life is still a powerhouse or if they even still have a team, but yeah in that era, they were always at Nationals in D2 and won a few times. I want to say that the ACHA might have made it harder for grad students to play. They definitely reduce the amount of eligibility. It was 12 semesters or 6 years back in that era (I forget which) and I know at one point it went down to 10 semesters or 5 years.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/222041/kynan-tarnowski

https://www.achahockey.org/mens-division-1-national-champions-2

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rewster said:

This sounds like it has "Netflix documentary" all over it.

• 100 2

20 minutes ago, Spear and Magic Helmet said:

I think the more interesting story would be at Liberty University. They have plenty of Canadian players too.

What goes on there? 

I do know that some Europeans get on NCAA teams because their home countries pick up the tab, which is higher tuition than residents would pay.

6 hours ago, Spear and Magic Helmet said:

I think the more interesting story would be at Liberty University. They have plenty of Canadian players too.

At the very least, Liberty appears to be the current incarnation of ACHA college hockey’s version of “how to build a hockey powerhouse program through the same principles that the USA military implements everywhere it goes…spend an absurd amount of dollars acquiring an absurdly excessive amount of superior assets that will simply overwhelm any competition.”

It appears to be a sound strategy if money is not an object.

• Uh, Ok 1