College club hockey - share insights

1 hour ago, sarampage said:

...and DU has a player and head coach at the IIHF World Junior Championships....

It was way worse than the 9-3 score that highlight clip shows. Denver’s head coach not there. Denver playing their 3rd and 4th line on the pp, kids that are normally healthy scratched.  zone time, could go on with more. the ncaa d1 kids just skate so much better, that’s what really separates acha top teams vs ncaa d1 imo and minot probabaly has some of the better acha skaters I’ve seen. We’ve been through this topic on here when Alaska-Fairbanks blew out unlv. 

with that said - minot would destroy the like’s of pitt, iup etc. gives some perspective.

as for ncaa d3 🙄 Chattam beat a mid level acha team (iup) 1-0. 

Personal side note - it’s hilarious to me the ncaa d1 kids don’t wear those stupid bubble cages like you see the acha teams using. Especially around here - every acha game I see locally has half a team with those stupid things. 

Edited by Danner27

2 hours ago, stickboy said:

The ACHA hype machine needs to take a step back and stay in its lane. All the social media, new jerseys, and arenas talk have people believing it’s something more. 

What is wrong with promoting the ACHA? It provides many different types of opportunities for kids that wouldn’t have them otherwise. Why do you care that they promote? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stickboy said:

The ACHA hype machine needs to take a step back and stay in its lane. All the social media, new jerseys, and arenas talk have people believing its something more. 

Promotion is huge for club sports in general to drive revenue to keep costs low for players that pay to play on top of tuition... Although the caliber isn't the same, club hockey can offer things NCAA doesn't. If the nobody bought into the "hype", then it would've died out. Must just be a sensitive topic for you.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JerryTime said:

Promotion is huge for club sports in general to drive revenue to keep costs low for players that pay to play on top of tuition... Although the caliber isn't the same, club hockey can offer things NCAA doesn't. If the nobody bought into the "hype", then it would've died out. Must just be a sensitive topic for you.

I’ve heard iup & duqesne are $3500 a year. seems pretty costly for club hockey. Compared to teams in ohio & the other side of the state that run around $1500-2k. Both iup & Duq have two teams. Someone is making good money. 

side note - Chattam “ncaa” d3 kid I’ve noticed has transfferd to rmu - playing club hockey now. RMU is obviously a much better eduction. 

1 minute ago, Danner27 said:

I’ve heard iup & duqesne are $3500 a year. seems pretty costly for club hockey. Compared to teams in ohio & the other side of the state that run around $1500-2k. Both iup & Duq have two teams. Someone is making good money. 

side note - Chattam “ncaa” d3 kid I’ve noticed has transfferd to rmu - playing club hockey now. RMU is obviously a much better eduction. 

Lots of speculation about the cost for Duq and IUP. I will ask some players what they pay for a solid answer. 

I wouldn’t say that RMU is a better education either. Chatham is a good school academically. There could be.a million reasons for a transfer. Don’t think quality of education has much to do with this transfer. 

1 hour ago, Happy Hockey Fan said:

Lots of speculation about the cost for Duq and IUP. I will ask some players what they pay for a solid answer. 

I wouldn’t say that RMU is a better education either. Chatham is a good school academically. There could be.a million reasons for a transfer. Don’t think quality of education has much to do with this transfer. 

http://www.pointstreaksites.com/view/iupmenshockey/recruiting/fees-and-registration-1

Couple years ago looks like it was ~$3000 for D1/D3. 

• Like 1

On 12/31/2023 at 10:32 AM, stickboy said:

The ACHA hype machine needs to take a step back and stay in its lane. All the social media, new jerseys, and arenas talk have people believing its something more. 

One could say the same about local High School PIHL hockey as well. It’s ok to hype up a school’s hockey program. Those in the “know” understand the true difference. Regardless, having incredible media and student-body support for your school’s hockey program is awesome…regardless of the pecking order of competition. It has to be exciting to play in front of a continuous home crowd of 2,000+ people at an ACHA school…compared with a lot of afterthought small schools in NCAA D3, or even NCAA D1. I remember Kent St and University of Findlay having NCAA D1 hockey teams that had less support than their ACHA clubs do.

Edited by Rewster

On 12/31/2023 at 5:35 PM, Happy Hockey Fan said:

No speculation for IUP! Haha

IUP was $ 2800 two years ago and don't miss writing that check but very good experience and fun to watch 

We had over 600 views on IUP Hockey You Tube per game and games were well attended at S&T Bank Arena 

Edited by Pa Hockey
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Pa Hockey said:

IUP was $ 2800 two years ago and don't miss writing that check but very good experience and fun to watch 

We had over 600 views on IUP Hockey You Tube per game and games were well attended at S&T Bank Arena 

Boys confirmed it for me, iup $3300 this year. Duquesne $3500. That’s per team, per player. Each school has two teams. 

Edited by Danner27

16 hours ago, Rewster said:

One could say the same about local High School PIHL hockey as well. It’s ok to hype up a school’s hockey program. Those in the “know” understand the true difference. Regardless, having incredible media and student-body support for your school’s hockey program is awesome…regardless of the pecking order of competition. It has to be exciting to play in front of a continuous home crowd of 2,000+ people at an ACHA school…compared with a lot of afterthought small schools in NCAA D3, or even NCAA D1. I remember Kent St and University of Findlay having NCAA D1 hockey teams that had less support than their ACHA clubs do.

While I agree with your ncaa d3 statement, please tell me where anyone around here is getting 2,000 plus people at a club hockey game. I’ve been to many. Attendance looks no different than a pihl game. The most I’ve witnessed for club hockey - attended a Kentucky midnight game a few years back. I’d guess that was around 2000-2500 people. That was the most I’ve ever seen at a club game by far. While I’ve never seen a liberty game in person I’ve seen the other top places and none of them had 2000 people. 

4 hours ago, Danner27 said:

While I agree with your ncaa d3 statement, please tell me where anyone around here is getting 2,000 plus people at a club hockey game. I’ve been to many. Attendance looks no different than a pihl game. The most I’ve witnessed for club hockey - attended a Kentucky midnight game a few years back. I’d guess that was around 2000-2500 people. That was the most I’ve ever seen at a club game by far. While I’ve never seen a liberty game in person I’ve seen the other top places and none of them had 2000 people. 

Ohio University sells out almost every home game at roughly an 1,800 capacity but that is because their rink is on campus and they have a strong networking system / social media presence to get students to come to games.  Don't know about other programs.

I have been to Duquesne and Pitt games at Alpha and attendance is abysmal.  

Edited by fafa fohi
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, fafa fohi said:

Ohio University sells out almost every home game at roughly an 1,800 capacity but that is because their rink is on campus and they have a strong networking system / social media presence to get students to come to games.  Don't know about other programs.

I have been to Duquesne and Pitt games at Alpha and attendance is abysmal.  

OU has D1 and D2 ACHA teams. I haven't been to one yet, is it just the D1 team that sells out?

4 hours ago, Loach said:

OU has D1 and D2 ACHA teams. I haven't been to one yet, is it just the D1 team that sells out?

Yes when it does. I’ve been to two OU M1 games. Decent crowds, nothing crazy, barn probably around 70% capacity both games. Half parents half students.  Nobody over there cares about OU team 2. Five parents and a few girlfriends show up. It’s actually worse than what we see over in western pa for club hockey. Not a knock on team 2 - it’s just when you have a M1 team that is consistently hanging around the top 10 with a rink on campus, that is the team the students will show up for.

on the flip side, just last year I was at Mercyhurst and watched their ncaa d1 team play. There couldn’t have been more than 100 or so people at that barn watching the game. A few hours later their club team played. We watched the first period. Might have been 30 people there, if that. 

Edited by Danner27

15 hours ago, Danner27 said:

Around here? It’s going to be a stretch to find that. Ohio University on some nights, Liberty University, Penn State University ACHA before Pegula/NCAA.

I’m talking southeast and southwest United States. It seems the further south you go, the bigger the college hockey support is—even for ACHA. Non-traditional hockey markets/schools are having a huge bump in attendance and support. The mid-America/northeast America ACHA schools don’t seem to really care much about supporting their school/club team. But, schools like Arizona, UNLV, Tennessee, North Carolina, NC St, Alabama, Georgia, you’d be surprised how much support they get…they don’t care if their school is ACHA D3, or whatever the new conference name is. It’s all about school support, not “the best hockey.”

• 100 1

6 hours ago, Rewster said:

Around here? It’s going to be a stretch to find that. Ohio University on some nights, Liberty University, Penn State University ACHA before Pegula/NCAA.

I’m talking southeast and southwest United States. It seems the further south you go, the bigger the college hockey support is—even for ACHA. Non-traditional hockey markets/schools are having a huge bump in attendance and support. The mid-America/northeast America ACHA schools don’t seem to really care much about supporting their school/club team. But, schools like Arizona, UNLV, Tennessee, North Carolina, NC St, Alabama, Georgia, you’d be surprised how much support they get…they don’t care if their school is ACHA D3, or whatever the new conference name is. It’s all about school support, not “the best hockey.”

Misunderstood your post. Thought you ment western pa. Yes, I’ve noticed the hype online for the south east and its big name football schools. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Pitt ranked # 14 and IUP ranked # 31 in Mid-January rankings 

Pitt will get auto bid to Nationals and has proven themselves to be competitive against # 8 Liberty and # 7 Ohio U which is why they left CHMA

Edited by Pa Hockey

The home and home series between #9 Niagara and #14 Pitt scheduled for this weekend has been canceled. The team's split a home and home first semester. The teams will meet at the Erie Civic Center Monday at 830 to play their remaining league game.

• 2 weeks later...

ACHA and similar levels are a chance to continue playing at a meaningful and competitive level without expecting "what's next?" Leagues like these are for the players who stood out in high school, "AA" or "AAA" (if it's from one of the several sham "AAA" teams). It's not exclusive to those groups naturally and worth trying out depending on where you go to school. It's fun and satisfies our competitive nature. It's not bad to watch and gives collegiate kids something to do for a few years.

Reading through these comments it's fascinating to some users overthink what it means to play ice hockey and what the end result should be. At the end of the day best case scenario is we're all watching on TV but for 99% of us it's just the memories and friends that matter most. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Oighir said:

ACHA and similar levels are a chance to continue playing at a meaningful and competitive level without expecting "what's next?" Leagues like these are for the players who stood out in high school, "AA" or "AAA" (if it's from one of the several sham "AAA" teams). It's not exclusive to those groups naturally and worth trying out depending on where you go to school. It's fun and satisfies our competitive nature. It's not bad to watch and gives collegiate kids something to do for a few years.

Reading through these comments it's fascinating to some users overthink what it means to play ice hockey and what the end result should be. At the end of the day best case scenario is we're all watching on TV but for 99% of us it's just the memories and friends that matter most. 

I have said this 100 times. But I'll say it again. Kids need to pick a college based on the college they want to got to, the curriculum and the campus. If they have hockey, bonus!  But club hockey (unless they are getting $$$, which means D1 in a sports scholarship and D3 typically a large academic scholarship ) should not drive their decision. Just my 2 cents. 

• 100 3
  • Fist Bump 1

51 minutes ago, ice is cold said:

I have said this 100 times. But I'll say it again. Kids need to pick a college based on the college they want to got to, the curriculum and the campus. If they have hockey, bonus!  But club hockey (unless they are getting $$$, which means D1 in a sports scholarship and D3 typically a large academic scholarship ) should not drive their decision. Just my 2 cents. 

100% agree and it should be a decision made with the long term life goals of the kid in mind. 

• Fist Bump 1