PAHL AA Playoffs

Congratulations to all the teams that won their Divisions this weekend.  Too bad all we get is scores!  No game sheets to see how the games went!  Or for that matter any coverage at all.  Does PAHL have a facebook or Twitter site?  It's ashamed how far behind Black Bear Tier 2 they are.  Hopefully we will be able to find the MidAms on Score Sheet this weekend. If PAHL is not going to recognize their top AA players, I would suggest all those teams Join the Atlantic Hockey Federation and have their own Western PA Division.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, hockeyisgreat said:

Congratulations to all the teams that won their Divisions this weekend.  Too bad all we get is scores!  No game sheets to see how the games went!  Or for that matter any coverage at all.  Does PAHL have a facebook or Twitter site?  It's ashamed how far behind Black Bear Tier 2 they are.  Hopefully we will be able to find the MidAms on Score Sheet this weekend. If PAHL is not going to recognize their top AA players, I would suggest all those teams Join the Atlantic Hockey Federation and have their own Western PA Division.

thats too much work for the paid " Executive Administrator " to handle - 

What do we pay for again?

• Like 3

The PAHL and Midam are total hack buddy-buddy orgs.  I couldn't break the glass to get in there, despite trying for years when my kids were active.  They want the status quo and nothing more.  No ambition, nobody with motivation to improve.

The top 2 people in that org are stooges... none of this is surprising.

Edited by Wes
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, hockeyisgreat said:

And who owns and operates AHF….

I’m sure it comes with a price tag

• 100 1

29 minutes ago, JerryTime said:

And who owns and operates AHF….

I’m sure it comes with a price tag

I believe it is Black Bear.  How much more could it cost compared to what we are paying now?  Anybody know what membership in the AHF costs per year?  Esmark and Icemen play in that league! I am surprised that Black Bear hasn't tried to force all the teams that play in their rinks in SWPA to join the AHF.

2 hours ago, hockeyisgreat said:

This is the opinion of the BB public relations people.

The question begs, how do those members rate their year 1 experience?

My son played in the AHF.  I'll say that the league does a much better job of managing their website.  Live scoring, stats, players of the week, all-star teams are all pretty cool and certainly add to the experience.  I'll also say that the level of competition in that league is absolutely not worth the 10-12 hours of driving you'd do for a weekend, even if you do get 4-6 games.  If you're in PAHL already there's no point in adding that amount of driving and hotel stays to play teams that are equal to the competition out here (at best).  If you're an independent team you can easily find equal or better competition within 2-3 hours (Ohio, Buffalo) and not take that long trip on the turnpike. 

• Like 4
  • 100 2

2 hours ago, hockeyisgreat said:

Esmark and Icemen play in that league! I am surprised that Black Bear hasn't tried to force all the teams that play in their rinks in SWPA to join the AHF.

The Frozen Pond/Icemen are moving younger age groups towards the AHF as well.  Looks like they intend to field AHF/Icemen teams from first year squirts up.  Time will tell how many PAHL teams the Yetis are able to field.

18U had some close competition. Preds beat Mt Lebo in overtime Saturday coming back from 2 - 0 deficit in the third. Arrows beat Preds in shootout after two five minute over times to win PAHL 18U yesterday. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TeamRamRod said:

My son played in the AHF.  I'll say that the league does a much better job of managing their website.  Live scoring, stats, players of the week, all-star teams are all pretty cool and certainly add to the experience.  I'll also say that the level of competition in that league is absolutely not worth the 10-12 hours of driving you'd do for a weekend, even if you do get 4-6 games.  If you're in PAHL already there's no point in adding that amount of driving and hotel stays to play teams that are equal to the competition out here (at best).  If you're an independent team you can easily find equal or better competition within 2-3 hours (Ohio, Buffalo) and not take that long trip on the turnpike. 

Wouldn't it be nice if the PAHL had a social media presence and actually did more to recognize the players in their league! You would have the best of both leagues here at home!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, YouthHockey? said:

18U had some close competition. Preds beat Mt Lebo in overtime Saturday coming back from 2 - 0 deficit in the third. Arrows beat Preds in shootout after two five minute over times to win PAHL 18U yesterday. 

Sure would be nice to see the score sheets and have the PAHL name an all tournament team!

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, hockeyisgreat said:

Wouldn't it be nice if the PAHL had a social media presence and actually did more to recognize the players in their league! You would have the best of both leagues here at home!

PAHL wants to charge the money and do the least work possible. Basically they run an organized in-house league that travels to play. I can see it getting to where they're being challenged with a competitor now and will probably end up rolling over and giving up as they continue to lose players and teams. 

However, I'll add that the AHF/THF groups on Facebook have an awful lot of complaining about "my kid faced 60 shots but the scoresheet only said 58", "they totally missed my kid's secondary assists 3 time this weekend", or any different incarnations of that you can think of. So I can see where PAHL doesn't want hounded week in and week out with those kind of complaints. 

• Like 3
  • 100 1

9 minutes ago, nemesis8679 said:

PAHL wants to charge the money and do the least work possible. Basically they run an organized in-house league that travels to play. I can see it getting to where they're being challenged with a competitor now and will probably end up rolling over and giving up as they continue to lose players and teams. 

However, I'll add that the AHF/THF groups on Facebook have an awful lot of complaining about "my kid faced 60 shots but the scoresheet only said 58", "they totally missed my kid's secondary assists 3 time this weekend", or any different incarnations of that you can think of. So I can see where PAHL doesn't want hounded week in and week out with those kind of complaints. 

This is the problem with having score sheets, the parents have to ruin it once again. Goalie parents are the WORST by far and most of them don't know what a REAL shit on goal is and want everything thrown near their kid listed as a shot. They yell at the coaches, refs and score keepers if their kids don't get their assist or shots right. I know parents that have actually called and Emailed the teams, leagues and companies running a tournament because they keep their own stats and even send video clips of their kids not getting a 2nd assist or a shot went off their kid and someone else got the goal. Parents ruin everything in youth sports.

• 100 2

47 minutes ago, Pucks11 said:

This is the problem with having score sheets, the parents have to ruin it once again. Goalie parents are the WORST by far and most of them don't know what a REAL shit on goal is and want everything thrown near their kid listed as a shot. They yell at the coaches, refs and score keepers if their kids don't get their assist or shots right. I know parents that have actually called and Emailed the teams, leagues and companies running a tournament because they keep their own stats and even send video clips of their kids not getting a 2nd assist or a shot went off their kid and someone else got the goal. Parents ruin everything in youth sports.

Uh, YEP.

Icemen charge about $4400 for the season.  Does not include coach fee or team fees.  Also does not include jerseys, socks, shell, jackets, etc.  

The AHF is a low level “AA” league at best and traveling 5+ hours to Philly and NJ?  Not great value for the competition.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Pucks11 said:

All that is true and no one person or system is perfect.  But what the PAHL does now (absoulutely nothing) is a joke and anything would be an improvement. Parents will always find ways to complain.   I hope that if the video clips were sent in the stats were changed.  I do agree that parents get out of control. I would tell any parent that complains to get involved with the score sheet and stats at the games.

7 minutes ago, Duster19 said:

Icemen charge about $4400 for the season.  Does not include coach fee or team fees.  Also does not include jerseys, socks, shell, jackets, etc.  

The AHF is a low level “AA” league at best and traveling 5+ hours to Philly and NJ?  Not great value for the competition.

Why not get the AA teams in SWPA into the AHF and have a midwest division. Have a few weekends of crossover competition with the east.  What do most AA teams in the PAHL cost?  Seems to me they are in the 3800,00 range.  Doesn't include Coach or team fees and uniforms.  Does the PAHL charge for a team to play in their league?

19 minutes ago, hockeyisgreat said:

I hope that if the video clips were sent in the stats were changed.  

I'm hoping this was a typo and you meant were not changed. I can't imagine having every game in an amateur league have stats challengeable what a nightmare. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, aaaahockey said:

I'm hoping this was a typo and you meant were not changed. I can't imagine having every game in an amateur league have stats challengeable what a nightmare. 

Yeah I went to far with that one!  Maybe charge a fee to have a stat changed. If a parent is crazy enough (I hope it's only a few) then they might be crazy enough to pay to have it reviewed. I just think stats with errors are better than no stats at all!  Just my opinion.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pucks11 said:

Last year at MidAms, a parent emailed an official livebarn clips from a game. Not about missed penalties, but about assists that were not given and that their player would not be able to choose the prep school of their choice because of this. 

• ROTF 1
  • Wink 1

5 hours ago, TeamRamRod said:

This is exactly right. A lot of the better teams in the AHF and THF are the western PA team. But it's probably just a matter of time until AHF has entire "west" divisions in Pittsburgh.

1 hour ago, Duster19 said:

Many of the top Icemen teams play in the THF with the Preds and Esmark as the other western PA teams in that Tier 1 Black Bear league.