1 hour ago, sadday4hockey said:

It's extortion. But the fact that everyone knows it and then act blind-sided by it is........... well, amazing.

It is. Stupidly we thought it was just a rumor and surely they valued him enough as a solid goaltender to keep him. He'll be in 9th grade in the fall and i guess our reprieve was over. Nobody ever said anything to us the last 2 yrs but this year when the NC application wasnt conpleted it was over for him. The way the  Coach this year and the new Coach for the upcoming season handled the situation was most disappointing.  It became glaringly obvious that the organization only cares about bringing in money and not developing players.  The amount of BS that gets spun up there is mind blowing 🤯 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Saucey said:

Sorry that happened to your family. Fortunately there is always a place for goalies. I am sure that he will find a home.

Thanks! Probably a blessing in disguise as we've had some pretty good offers come in that may serve him better than PE ever would. Excited to continue the journey 🙂

• Like 1
  • Fist Bump 3

What I would like to know is why is it so important to pay North Catholic? Whats in it for the Pens org to do that? Do they get a kickback? 

Also, I know theoretically why they want you to do excel, you get a lot of ice time and they get a lot of money. But does it ever dawn on any parents that even NHL'ERS aren't on the ice that much? That there's a point of diminishing returns when it comes to too much ice time/gym time? If everybody would use their heads and refuse to do this, then it wouldn't be a thing. But the allure of that gear bag and window sticker is enough to let it perpetuate, I guess. 

• 100 2
  • Fist Bump 1

21 minutes ago, sadday4hockey said:

They are over-trained on the ice and under-educated in the classroom.

And what I mean by that is they do not spend near enough time in the classroom on a daily/weekly basis at NC.

It's not a great school either compared to where many of these kids are coming from.  

• Like 1

Preds 09 AAA tryouts finished last night and they've already sent selections to their core. Deferring the rest to the 08 AAA tryouts tomorrow. Supposedly some additional players will make the 09 AAA team and a few that don't make that team will be placed on the 08 AAA team. And then as players get moved down each rung they'll be asked to stay and play for their mixed 16U team.

Makes perfect sense, right?

Edited by RJUSHL
  • Like 1
  • Money 1
  • ROTF 1

2 hours ago, aaaahockey said:

It's not a great school either compared to where many of these kids are coming from.  

2 hours ago, sadday4hockey said:

They are over-trained on the ice 

I knew a trainer who said they believed they were seeing the kids injured by the end of the season due to too much physical activity. Some truth likely to that.

1 hour ago, RJUSHL said:

Preds 09 AAA tryouts finished last night and they've already sent selections to their core. Deferring the rest to the 08 AAA tryouts tomorrow. Supposedly some additional players will make the 09 AAA team and a few that don't make that team will be placed on the 08 AAA team. And then as players get moved down each rung they'll be asked to stay and play for their mixed 16U team.

Makes perfect sense, right?

That makes no sense.

• Like 1
  • Uh, Ok 1

34 minutes ago, Saucey said:

I knew a trainer who said they believed they were seeing the kids injured by the end of the season due to too much physical activity. Some truth likely to that.

Another problem is that unlike walking or running, a skating stride isn't natural to human anatomy. Like a pitcher throwing a ball overhand, as hard as they can, over and over. So to be doing that constantly and at that exertion isn't good. Especially when joints are still developing. 

And not to mention the mental part of time spent that could've been used for something else, and when all that time used for training suddenly goes away. 

There's very, very few NHL players or coaches that would tell you that that much time skating and training is good to do. 

But people will continue to not listen to doctors or professional athletes and continue to listen to amateur coaches.

6 minutes ago, nemesis8679 said:

Another problem is that unlike walking or running, a skating stride isn't natural to human anatomy. Like a pitcher throwing a ball overhand, as hard as they can, over and over. So to be doing that constantly and at that exertion isn't good. Especially when joints are still developing. 

And not to mention the mental part of time spent that could've been used for something else, and when all that time used for training suddenly goes away. 

There's very, very few NHL players or coaches that would tell you that that much time skating and training is good to do. 

But people will continue to not listen to doctors or professional athletes and continue to listen to amateur coaches.

There is a reason why so many hockey players develop hip issues later in life 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nemesis8679 said:

What I would like to know is why is it so important to pay North Catholic? Whats in it for the Pens org to do that? Do they get a kickback? 

Also, I know theoretically why they want you to do excel, you get a lot of ice time and they get a lot of money. But does it ever dawn on any parents that even NHL'ERS aren't on the ice that much? That there's a point of diminishing returns when it comes to too much ice time/gym time? If everybody would use their heads and refuse to do this, then it wouldn't be a thing. But the allure of that gear bag and window sticker is enough to let it perpetuate, I guess. 

Agree 100%. They’ve created this hybrid model- prep school but for predominantly local kids to change schools to an inferior one. It makes no sense other than, like you said, to fill the ice from 1:30-4:30 every day. They need to decide- is this geared towards local kids? If so drop the north Catholic thing. Is it geared towards our of towners? If so build dorms. It was sloppily implemented but as long as they keep filling the spots and bringing in the revenue the new owners won’t care- just mitigate the cost of the facilities for the NHLers/ that’s the real goal peeps. 

And the cherry on top- those ‘top’ couple recruits they bring in each year aren’t paying anything for school, excel or pens fees. The local kids that pay full rate are essentially subsidizing them. 

5 hours ago, sadday4hockey said:

They are over-trained on the ice and under-educated in the classroom.

And what I mean by that is they do not spend near enough time in the classroom on a daily/weekly basis at NC.

Welcome to what it takes to get to Tier 1 juniors and NCAA D1!  Like it or not, most of the Top 10 midget programs that provide the best exposure are doing something similar or are prep schools.  It sucks, but just the way it is

8 minutes ago, stickboy said:

Welcome to what it takes to get to Tier 1 juniors and NCAA D1!  Like it or not, most of the Top 10 midget programs that provide the best exposure are doing something similar or are prep schools.  It sucks, but just the way it is

Do they?  I might have a blind spot here but if you’re doing pens, north Catholic and excel, you have 4 on ice and 4 off ice sessions a week for excel. Then 2+ on ice and 2+ off ice sessions a week for the team. 2 days a week you’ll have 2 on ice and 2 off ice sessions. I don’t know of any prep schools that do that. 

I didn’t say prep schools do that. I said most top 10 programs do something similar, OR are prep schools.  Prep schools have a different goal as they are developing students also. But there you are paying more for less ice time. Depends what you are looking for and end goals.  

7 minutes ago, stickboy said:

I didn’t say prep schools do that. I said most top 10 programs do something similar, OR are prep schools.  Prep schools have a different goal as they are developing students also. But there you are paying more for less ice time. Depends what you are looking for and end goals.  

Ahh, got it. Again, pardon my ignorance but what other top programs do something like this? Non prep schools.  I’m just not hearing of any situations like what PPE does. 

My understanding is many other top programs cut down on the large group lesson/development approach and there is more time allotted for private skating and one on one work. 

Edited by Jkersman01

12 minutes ago, aaaahockey said:

Shaha 09 definitely not folding I confirmed that. 

they don’t have enough players. Having a supplemental tomorrow night-same night as Preds, Icemen, Esmark?  Their best forwards left. 

Seems like Shadyside Academy would be a much better choice for local kids that have parents that are willing/able to spend money for hockey plus school. I know for a fact that every kid gets an equal chance there at least.

Edited by nemesis8679
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, hockey07 said:

they don’t have enough players. Having a supplemental tomorrow night-same night as Preds, Icemen, Esmark?  Their best forwards left. 

This is incorrect.  (Sorry my nephew played for them) - they lost one forward who made preds and one is trying out for 08 team.  Everyone else is coming back to my knowledge and they are picking up a couple other kids.  I would assume if/when the one kid gets cut from 08 tryouts he is back and then the team is basically intact.  They had plenty of kids try out though so it's more of a matter of what level they end up being in the long run.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, nemesis8679 said:

Seems like Shadyside Academy would be a much better choice for local kids that have parents that are willing/able to spend money for hockey plus school. I know for a fact that every kid gets an equal chance there at least.

I think that tuition is $39,000 / yr for a commuter. So, staying on campus with room and board goes up to $62,000.  Then include hockey fees, that price goes up fast.

• Like 1