USA Hockey Nationals start today!

On 4/10/2024 at 1:11 PM, zam said:

Can we just get a permanent thread pinned at the top called "Pens Elite Problems"??

It's the most amazing thing about this message board! There are roughly six or seven "current" threads, they all have different headings, but every one of them has turned to something related to Penns Elite. And nearly every one of the posts starts with "I think" or "I heard". With so many contradicting theories from one thread to the other.

One thread says they only let locals play the younger ages and it's a fundraiser for the program and they replace all the local kids by the older ages, but another says they don't care about 18U so they let locals play without going to North Catholic. 

One thread says all the best kids leave town to go play elsewhere. Another thread says all the best kids are out of towners.  One thread says Excel and North Catholic aren't "required" for the good players that it's typically the 15,16 and 17, 18th best players have to do Excel.  

So what I gather it's a Fundraiser thru Middle School. Strict North Catholic requirement for freshmen and sophomores, money grab with a bunch of schmo's playing Junior and Senior year.

The big takeaway regarding Pens is 90% of the people on this chain have kids good enough to play for the team but they are smart enough to not waste their money and choose to play for their local high school and PAHL hockey instead.

13 hours ago, Rewster said:

In any event, I’d add to this by pointing out that other “developing hockey markets” in the states are trying to model their AAA programs similarly to PPE (or vice-versa). TPH has academy’s located in FLA, AZ, Tennessee, and several places in the Midwest (Michigan, Iowa, Ohio, etc) as well. I’m not sure if it’s sustainable. But, it is occurring in other regions in the country.

As in most cases where profit is involved, the most profitable way to do something is what others follow. Not necessarily because it's a better way to do it. 

• 100 1

6 hours ago, hockeyisgreat said:

Who is TPH?  

Thanks

As HatTrick pointed out…Total Package Hockey

I just looked at their site again and noticed how they have grown their “campuses” since I looked at it last year.

Interestingly, TPH just established a Philadelphia campus this past November (technically, they’re located in Chester, PA):

https://www.tphacademy.com/philadelphia/

Not only does that facility looks really nice, and by having 4 sheets of ice…they can become a destination for Tier 1 hockey and establish themselves as Philly’s preeminent T1 AAA organization. 

I say this because it is becoming apparent to me that the new shine is wearing off when it comes to PPE and their ability to attract the best hockey players in the region. The NHLs Penguins don’t have the same drawing power that it did just a few years ago; especially when coupled with UPMC Lemieux facility and North Catholic/Excel Academy. The price is beginning to lose its luster when the return on investment is dropping off.
I could be wrong. I hope that I am. But, when I see the model used by PPE is pretty much in every major city now; I have to believe that the novelty is not going to resonate with the best players from across the country like it used to. Not when they can do something very similar and do it much closer to their own home.

5 minutes ago, Rewster said:

As HatTrick pointed out…Total Package Hockey

I just looked at their site again and noticed how they have grown their “campuses” since I looked at it last year.

Interestingly, TPH just established a Philadelphia campus this past November (technically, they’re located in Chester, PA):

https://www.tphacademy.com/philadelphia/

Not only does that facility looks really nice, and by having 4 sheets of ice…they can become a destination for Tier 1 hockey and establish themselves as Philly’s preeminent T1 AAA organization. 

I say this because it is becoming apparent to me that the new shine is wearing off when it comes to PPE and their ability to attract the best hockey players in the region. The NHLs Penguins don’t have the same drawing power that it did just a few years ago; especially when coupled with UPMC Lemieux facility and North Catholic/Excel Academy. The price is beginning to lose its luster when the return on investment is dropping off.
I could be wrong. I hope that I am. But, when I see the model used by PPE is pretty much in every major city now; I have to believe that the novelty is not going to resonate with the best players from across the country like it used to. Not when they can do something very similar and do it much closer to their own home.

Especially considering there are 5+ public high schools in the area better than North Catholic.  Pay extra to go somewhere worse?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, aaaahockey said:

Especially considering there are 5+ public high schools in the area better than North Catholic.  Pay extra to go somewhere worse?

They are the 6th ranked Catholic School in the area. Add those public schools and it drops them even lower. Hey at least it's not in Troy Hill anymore.

• ROTF 2

2 hours ago, aaaahockey said:

And you don't have to entrust your kids to an organization that has a horrible track record of protecting children. 

13 hours ago, nemesis8679 said:

And you don't have to entrust your kids to an organization that has a horrible track record of protecting children. 

NC has a horrible track record of protecting its students?

Could you be more specific?

8 hours ago, fafa fohi said:

NC has a horrible track record of protecting its students?

Could you be more specific?

The problem was right in the name they removed. Removing it doesn't change the fact that they still named it after him after everything came to light. And only changed their minds when the backlash was received. Plus, the word "catholic" is still there, that's enough for me to not trust them.

22 hours ago, aaaahockey said:

Well public schools aren't much better at that. 

Perhaps things still go on, but I don't remember hearing of a school district covering up abuse by moving an offending staff member from school to school, allowing them to continue the abuse.

• 100 1

15 minutes ago, nemesis8679 said:

The problem was right in the name they removed. Removing it doesn't change the fact that they still named it after him after everything came to light. And only changed their minds when the backlash was received. Plus, the word "catholic" is still there, that's enough for me to not trust them.

Perhaps things still go on, but I don't remember hearing of a school district covering up abuse by moving an offending staff member from school to school, allowing them to continue the abuse.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/288784/school-districts-move-teachers-who-commit-sexual-assaults-to-other-schools-report/

12 hours ago, sadday4hockey said:

Fafa, there's a reason they took the Cardinal Wuerhl name off the school.

Believe me I'm not trying to defend Catholics and their dirty little secrets, but you make it sound like Cardi W roamed the halls of North Catholic assaulting students. 

5 hours ago, nemesis8679 said:

Don't forget the Tea bagging incident in the early 2000's. That kid got PAID, blew it on drugs but paid none the less. Just happened to have happen to a local funeral home owners kid.

35 minutes ago, Pucks11 said:

Don't forget the Tea bagging incident in the early 2000's. That kid got PAID, blew it on drugs but paid none the less. Just happened to have happen to a local funeral home owners kid.

Don't know anything about that. 

4 hours ago, sadday4hockey said:

No different than JoePa

To my knowledge Cardinal Wuerl had zero to do with NC other than having his name on the school.  And there are those on this thread insinuating abuse occurred at NC and it was ignored?  

Joe Pa allowed abuse on his own campus.

Apples and oranges.

• Like 2
  • 100 1

8 hours ago, nemesis8679 said:

Everything you said has zero to do with people accusing the school of covering up abuse that happened at said school.

Your trust in Catholics is about as good as my trust in so-called Christians.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, fafa fohi said:

Everything you said has zero to do with people accusing the school of covering up abuse that happened at said school.

Your trust in Catholics is about as good as my trust in so-called Christians.  

I don't trust any of them, either.

But it doesn't say much for the judgment of people in charge of the school that they thought naming it after that goof was good idea.