PA AAA YOUTH LEAGUE..why not?

With all the AAA teams springing up, is there room for a Tier I AAA league to form? Maybe just Western PA to begin? Pens Elite and Esmark seem to heading towards something different...what teams could be added to create an 8 to 10 team league? And NO I do not think we are talking about a league to compete with Michigan or Ontario. But it could save a ton of money for parents that like the higher level of competition without the heavy travel and cost. Thoughts?

I've suggested this a couple of times here and while I think it would logistically make sense and also provide a lot of room for WPA bragging rights on who the best AAA team is, a lot of players and parents that are involved LOVE the travel and exposure part of playing AAA. Going to MI, MA, NY, MN and Canada and playing other AAA organizations is a big draw for these teams. That being said I think a local AAA league would work to make the scheduling of the non tournament games much easier. Hell, 99% of the "AAA" teams in the area are faux AAA teams and play independent AA/AAA schedules anyway. If the PAHL created a AAA division it might water down the AA and A divisions even more than they already are.

You could do a multi-state AAA league.  Would be like the Atlantic Youth league.  It has teams from SE PA, NJ, Long island and MD.  They play a league schedule, which includes their district games.  Keeps most travel under 2 hours.  Teams also select individual showcases or other leagues to schedule (some play Tier 1, etc.).

This is laughable.  These are not AAA teams.  People in Pittsburgh do not understand that simply putting another A after your team name does not get you to the next level.  I have posted this a number of times and honestly grow tired of this discussion.  Go look at the Michigan Hockey association requirements to field a AAA team.  Then come back and start a new thread that talks about how many AAA teams are in Pittsburgh.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HSFBLJ said:

This is laughable.  These are not AAA teams.  People in Pittsburgh do not understand that simply putting another A after your team name does not get you to the next level.  I have posted this a number of times and honestly grow tired of this discussion.  Go look at the Michigan Hockey association requirements to field a AAA team.  Then come back and start a new thread that talks about how many AAA teams are in Pittsburgh.

Did I not say in my original post that AAA outside of Michigan and Ontario was far lacking on talent? Ohio does the same thing with Cleveland and Columbus...no harm...no foul! It was just a topic discussion!

I'm curious on why it seems so easy to get 'AAA' status in Pittsburgh. Illinois and Michigan have kept their AAA charters constant for many years now - you could argue that Illinois could use another one and Michigan could do with one or two less, but it's the same organizations that have AAA status for every age group.

Same with Ohio and Indiana which, like WPA, is part of MidAm. So, why can Mt Lebanon (as one example) do a AAA team at 05 level this year when it's been AA for that organization/age every year up to this point? Who has the say on this and why is it so much more lax in Pittsburgh to switch to AAA than say Ohio, which is also part of MidAm?

Blue Jackets popped up because of the explosion of the Columbus hockey market as the NHL team arrived. Cleveland and Columbus are a couple of hours from each other so (although the occasional crazy family may do that drive for practices/games) they aren't really pulling kids from the same market. That's not comparable to having AAA teams given to PPE, Esmark, Mt Lebanon, Predators, Icemen and so on.

But, it sounds like you are saying the state affiliates call the shots here, rather than MidAm itself. You would think MidAm would step in and regulate it more consistently but I guess they are fine as long as the affiliate fees roll in.

In my joe blow opinion I think the Pittsburgh area should have 4 legit AAA teams at the 14U, 15U, 16U, 18U levels. One team at each age group and that's it. If those organizations should choose to field peewee and squirt teams then so be it. I think those teams should be based geographically around the city. One in the North (PPE) , South (TBD), EAST (Esmark), WEST (TBD). That makes it 20 kids per team, 80 kids per age group. Which I truly believe this area has the depth of talent to support those roster numbers.  All other players would play AA or A which would bolster the PAHL divisions significantly. Although this model would never work because parents suck.

2 hours ago, Loach said:

I'm curious on why it seems so easy to get 'AAA' status in Pittsburgh. Illinois and Michigan have kept their AAA charters constant for many years now - you could argue that Illinois could use another one and Michigan could do with one or two less, but it's the same organizations that have AAA status for every age group.

Same with Ohio and Indiana which, like WPA, is part of MidAm. So, why can Mt Lebanon (as one example) do a AAA team at 05 level this year when it's been AA for that organization/age every year up to this point? Who has the say on this and why is it so much more lax in Pittsburgh to switch to AAA than say Ohio, which is also part of MidAm?

Both of the Ohio teams (Cleveland and Columbus) play in a real AAA league. The T1EHL, that league sends more players to major juniors than any other league in the states. When you look at percentage though, the HPHL is the best it’s just a much smaller league. What league does Lebo play in ? NONE. 

that Lebo thing is all about a dads 04 and 05 kids, that dads father worked for USA hockey in Denverz said dad has some pull. Just like Mario’s son who wasn’t good enough to make the hornets, so Mario bought them and changed the name. This dad doesn’t have to buy a team, he just gets USA hockey to help him out. I actually knew his dad, he was a decent guy up to the day he passed away. The kid, as you can see not so much.  

The trouble with the lower AAA teams is that they are unicorns.  Same story every year - a dad recruits and builds a good team around his kid, hoarding tier II talent until they can't be beat in tier II.  From there, there is nowhere to go but Tier I.  

As we've discussed prior, I don't blame Mt Lebo dad for moving their 04 group to AAA.  AA was a cake walk; coasted through Tier II Mid-Am two years ago.  Had respectable showing at Tier 1 Mid-Am this year. 

The 05 team is definitely not the same unicorn though.  They could still be competitive at AA so I don't really get that move.