Covid-19 vs the Flu

3 minutes ago, hockeyisgreat said:

So tell me when things will get back to "normal"?  This virus isn't going away. We can't hide from it forever. So what is an acceptable risk?

Oh, you don't know the acceptable risk?? Nobody dies, ever again. It's a Festivus miracle!

Edited by powderfinger
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, hockeyisgreat said:

So tell me when things will get back to "normal"?  This virus isn't going away. We can't hide from it forever. So what is an acceptable risk?

Acceptable risk is something that's debatable. I don't know and everyone has there own level of tolerance so I'll be glad to follow rules set forth by our health officials for a while. There may come a time where I am fed up as well, but we're only 5 1/2 months into this. Pandemics have always gone away, but not that quickly. I'm hopeful for some significant medical advances in the near future. I can live by these rules for a bit longer, but there could come a time where i give up as well. I'm not ready to yet. I ultimately want what's best for the kids and most on this forum do as well. I want to get back to real hockey as soon as possible. It won't be possible if health officials don't see good progress. I can respect those that don't like the rules but complaining isn't going to change their mind. It will just make them more tentative to ease restrictions.

4 hours ago, Quinlan2020 said:

Little Johnny died? I thought it was like the flu.

What happens if Big Johnny dies because Little Johnny brought it home? What happens if Big Johnny then takes it to work and gives it to Mary and then she spends the rest of her life as an asthmatic? Maybe Mary and her family family signed the the same waiver and everything will be good.

Why not get liability insurance? It is relatively cheap to cover things that are such low risk.

people also die from the flu..

we are all going to die from something, do you not drive a car because people die in automobile accidents? Everyone needs to just live their lives, wash your hands and if your sick stay home and life will go on. How is anyone even trusting results of testing anyway? With all the false positives and people being diagnosed as dying of Covid that were never actually tested in the first place. 

40 minutes ago, BLC said:

people also die from the flu..

we are all going to die from something, do you not drive a car because people die in automobile accidents? Everyone needs to just live their lives, wash your hands and if your sick stay home and life will go on. How is anyone even trusting results of testing anyway? With all the false positives and people being diagnosed as dying of Covid that were never actually tested in the first place. 

Good point about the automobile accidents. They are just as contagious. I stay away from anyone that has recently been involved in one. Way to soak up the BS about the false positives and lies about causes of deaths. The conspiracy theorists love you.

2 minutes ago, Quinlan2020 said:

Good point about the automobile accidents. They are just as contagious. I stay away from anyone that has recently been involved in one. Way to soak up the BS about the false positives and lies about causes of deaths. The conspiracy theorists love you.

Personally know people who tested positive for Covid and funny thing is it’s so contagious that despite no Quarantine from their family nobody else but them tested positive? Also know people who were never tested and received a notification they tested positive...also work in healthcare setting and can absolutely 100% tell you the diagnosis thing you scoff at is true 

All I’m saying is this is a scare tactic and obviously you fell for it...it happens to the weak minded, but for those of us who have common sense..like I said before, we are all going to die of something you can live your life in fear or you can just live life

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, BLC said:

Personally know people who tested positive for Covid and funny thing is it’s so contagious that despite no Quarantine from their family nobody else but them tested positive? Also know people who were never tested and received a notification they tested positive...also work in healthcare setting and can absolutely 100% tell you the diagnosis thing you scoff at is true 

All I’m saying is this is a scare tactic and obviously you fell for it...it happens to the weak minded, but for those of us who have common sense..like I said before, we are all going to die of something you can live your life in fear or you can just live life

If there are so many of us that feel this way why are we letting the politicians tell us how to live our lives?  So many people in financial ruin because of government mandates. I think it's much worse than the disease.  Many people will never recover from the economic destruction. History will show that the cure was worse than the disease.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, hockeyisgreat said:

If there are so many of us that feel this way why are we letting the politicians tell us how to live our lives?  So many people in financial ruin because of government mandates. I think it's much worse than the disease.  Many people will never recover from the economic destruction. History will show that the cure was worse than the disease.

I actually think you could be right. The problem is that many people are afraid and you just can't tell people not be be afraid. Some people are afraid of dogs, heights, or whatever. What are you supposed to do. With so many people afraid, the life we knew will never come back. Financial ruins will occur with or without restrictions. I'm more afraid of large outbreaks that leads to more restrictions than actually getting the disease. Our only chance is to get case counts & death counts down to a point where not as many people are afraid. Otherwise, we will continue to trudge through this state of suck. Unless you feel that lifting all restriction will have no effect on the spread? If you feel that way then I just disagree. Now if I was sure that lifting restrictions would coincide with people using common sense, then I would say go for it. I just don't think common sense is all that common.

2 hours ago, hockeyisgreat said:

You're absolutely right about financial ruin that some will suffer. But ideally, that's why we HAVE a government, to take care of citizens that are up against it in situations like this. It's too bad that government is seemingly not able or- more likely, not interested in-meaningfully doing their job. 

That's why people should be angry, not because there's a pandemic out of your control that required shut-downs. 

13 minutes ago, nemesis8679 said:

You're absolutely right about financial ruin that some will suffer. But ideally, that's why we HAVE a government, to take care of citizens that are up against it in situations like this. It's too bad that government is seemingly not able or- more likely, not interested in-meaningfully doing their job. 

That's why people should be angry, not because there's a pandemic out of your control that required shut-downs. 

I agree. It's sad what's happening to many businesses. These restrictions are a lot like chemotherapy. The chemo kills the good stuff in your body along with the bad. Sometimes the patient dies as a result. But you will surely die if you don't take it. We'll never really know if the cure was worse than the disease. None of us will be ever be able to look back and say "I told you so".

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Quinlan2020 said:

Karen, get back to coaching your 10U SCIR team with your self stated “scrubs”, you contribute 0.0 here. 

On 8/25/2020 at 12:20 PM, Quinlan2020 said:

Little Johnny died? I thought it was like the flu.

What happens if Big Johnny dies because Little Johnny brought it home? What happens if Big Johnny then takes it to work and gives it to Mary and then she spends the rest of her life as an asthmatic? Maybe Mary and her family family signed the the same waiver and everything will be good.

Why not get liability insurance? It is relatively cheap to cover things that are such low risk.

My brother in-law died from the flu 6 years ago.  What’s your point?  You don’t think people can die from the flu?  He was 46 and very healthy.  The flu kills a bunch of people every year, so again what’s your point?

Edited by Eddie Shore

55 minutes ago, sadday4hockey said:

That's exactly the point. Viruses can kill people, bacterial infections can kill people. However, we don't shut down the world during flu season, we just deal with it and that's exactly what we should be doing now with this new virus.

My world isn't shut down. Almost everything is open. Life is just a little different now. There is really nothing that I can't do now that I could do before. It's just a matter of being a little careful for the good of all civilization. What Covid-related hardships are you having right now? The people that are out of work or have a failing business are suffering. Others are just being big babies about making some minor adjustments to their lives.

1 hour ago, Quinlan2020 said:

My world isn't shut down. Almost everything is open. Life is just a little different now. There is really nothing that I can't do now that I could do before. It's just a matter of being a little careful for the good of all civilization. What Covid-related hardships are you having right now? The people that are out of work or have a failing business are suffering. Others are just being big babies about making some minor adjustments to their lives.

Your ratio of big babies to people suffering is way way off, which i would expect nothing less coming from you. 

24 minutes ago, BeaverFalls said:

Your ratio of big babies to people suffering is way way off, which i would expect nothing less coming from you. 

What was the ratio I specified?

I know that there are too many of your type that are sweating the small stuff because you haven't had true hardship. I enjoy hearing about how to solve these hockey problems, but I have things in perspective enough to realize that there is not some conspiracy in place to oppress people involved in sports.

3 hours ago, Quinlan2020 said:

You can’t coach regular 5 on 5 hockey with 18 skaters. 

• 100 1

49 minutes ago, Quinlan2020 said:

What was the ratio I specified?

I know that there are too many of your type that are sweating the small stuff because you haven't had true hardship. I enjoy hearing about how to solve these hockey problems, but I have things in perspective enough to realize that there is not some conspiracy in place to oppress people involved in sports.

True hardship?  Don’t try to lecture me on true hardship. Just because you’ve never gotten out of your bubble doesn’t mean some of us haven’t done things that would only make you piss and shit yourself in fear. I’m sorry covid is your breaking point, you weak pathetic soul. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BeaverFalls said:

True hardship?  Don’t try to lecture me on true hardship. Just because you’ve never gotten out of your bubble doesn’t mean some of us haven’t done things that would only make you piss and shit yourself in fear. I’m sorry covid is your breaking point, you weak pathetic soul. 

I won't get into the name-calling battle here. The hardship I was speaking of was in relation to Covid. I regret if you have had hardship in your past. I was not my intention to judge the substance of your entire life. I am sorry that you are comfortable referring to me as weak and pathetic because my opinion/approach to getting to the same place we all desire is different than yours. 

4 hours ago, Quinlan2020 said:

Really? Must be great to be you. My life sucks because of it. Me out of work since April and my wife cut back to 15 hours a week.  My world has been shut down. I stopped posting for the last few months cause I had to cancel my internet and I am at my sisters house now looking for work.  I have to be honest, I have been able to tolerate a lot of people on this site over the years, but the past few months reading what you have posted you are one of the few that makes me sick to my stomach 

• Sad 1