Anyone have the initial PAHL placements?

2 hours ago, Jack Handey said:

@RJUSHL what teams do you recognize as missing?

South Pittsburgh '10, SHAHA '09, and YETI '09 just at first glance. South Pittsburgh '10 may have already been independent, but I think SHAHA '09 and Yeti '09 were PAHL teams last year. Could be wrong.

I think South Pittsburgh '10 may be playing PAHL now.  I looked at the schedule of placement games and they now have a team playing 2 AA placement games.  Maybe a late add?  Yeti's Peewee AA team from last year I think is broken up between the 2 Yetis bantam teams and some made the 09 Icemen, who are playing independent AA.  That team seems to be some Yeti's, Foxes, and NP players.  I also heard from a buddy that the 2010 Yeti BY team is playing independent, which seems odd because they'd definitely face good competition in PAHL if they stuck around.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TeamRamRod said:

I think South Pittsburgh '10 may be playing PAHL now.  I looked at the schedule of placement games and they now have a team playing 2 AA placement games.  Maybe a late add?  Yeti's Peewee AA team from last year I think is broken up between the 2 Yetis bantam teams and some made the 09 Icemen, who are playing independent AA.  That team seems to be some Yeti's, Foxes, and NP players.  I also heard from a buddy that the 2010 Yeti BY team is playing independent, which seems odd because they'd definitely face good competition in PAHL if they stuck around.  

Yes south Pittsburgh 10s were independent last year and came back to PAHL this year to play AA. I don't know why but I'd be interested to hear the reasons from someone involved.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, aaaahockey said:

Yes south Pittsburgh 10s were independent last year and came back to PAHL this year to play AA. I don't know why but I'd be interested to hear the reasons from someone involved.  

That's a good sign. Nice to see a team come back to PAHL. That's a very good team.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RJUSHL said:

That's a good sign. Nice to see a team come back to PAHL. That's a very good team.

That's kind of why I'm curious. I heard they did pretty well last year.  Did they retain the team?  Lose kids?  Pick up anyone?  Think PAHL would be better at the major birthyear?  

On 8/12/2022 at 3:13 PM, RJUSHL said:

South Pittsburgh '10, SHAHA '09, and YETI '09 just at first glance. South Pittsburgh '10 may have already been independent, but I think SHAHA '09 and Yeti '09 were PAHL teams last year. Could be wrong.

South Pittsburgh 2010 was independent last year. SHAHA '09 was AA PAHL and very successful. Yeti '09 was AA PAHL and not very good.

On 8/12/2022 at 3:22 PM, TeamRamRod said:

I believe I saw South Pittsburgh on the PAHL placement game schedule as well. Hopefully it's the 2010 team that came to their senses. I would love to know what magic they are performing in Butler that their teams that are bad the previous year jump up divisions the next? Maybe they are just out of touch, the South Pittsburgh '10 team was a good PAHL team and went independent last year. What happens if you are just a good PAHL team, and not really AAA is, when you go independent no one wants to play you if your rating is substantially lower because teams don't want to risk their rating to play you. I imagine that this is what South Pitt ran into and couldn't find games to play. Yeti's will have the same problem, basically you'd just have to register for a bunch of tournaments and play out of town all the time and spend much more money than you would have if you just stayed in your lane played PAHL and played a few tournys. Yetis '10 going independent... I have no words.

On 8/12/2022 at 3:41 PM, aaaahockey said:

That's kind of why I'm curious. I heard they did pretty well last year.  Did they retain the team?  Lose kids?  Pick up anyone?  Think PAHL would be better at the major birthyear?  

If anything I expected them to stay independent this year because they did get some imports from the PPE black dismantle year. So they are going to be a better team playing back in PAHL.

33 minutes ago, sadday4hockey said:

I've seen more players than one should expect come out of the dismantle year and be at less than AA PAHL level in ability.

I second this.  Ive also seen gold kids cut who weren't dominating in AA either (I think most were good but you would expect them to dominate and I've only seen that in one or two kids). 

On 8/15/2022 at 2:07 PM, LGP13 said:

I would love to know what magic they are performing in Butler that their teams that are bad the previous year jump up divisions the next? Maybe they are just out of touch, the South Pittsburgh '10 team was a good PAHL team and went independent last year. What happens if you are just a good PAHL team, and not really AAA is, when you go independent no one wants to play you if your rating is substantially lower because teams don't want to risk their rating to play you. I imagine that this is what South Pitt ran into and couldn't find games to play. Yeti's will have the same problem, basically you'd just have to register for a bunch of tournaments and play out of town all the time and spend much more money than you would have if you just stayed in your lane played PAHL and played a few tournys. Yetis '10 going independent... I have no words.

Everyone taking notes from the Preds.  Can't win PAHL and still take your teams independent.  Follow the money. 

• Haha 1
  • ROTF 1

20 hours ago, aaaahockey said:

I second this.  Ive also seen gold kids cut who weren't dominating in AA either (I think most were good but you would expect them to dominate and I've only seen that in one or two kids). 

That is because the bottom half of the legitimate AAA players are about the same as the top two or three kids on the better AA teams.  It is easy to look good when you are surrounded by talent.  It is much harder when you aren't surrounded with high-level talent and you have to do it on your own.  I have explained this to people for years but Ego's get in the way.  

• Like 2

I don’t understand why more teams don’t do a hybrid of independent/PAHL. My son’s team did it for two years. Added tournaments and some home and homes. Had great season. Cost was higher of course but everyone knew that coming in. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Novos51 said:

I don’t understand why more teams don’t do a hybrid of independent/PAHL. My son’s team did it for two years. Added tournaments and some home and homes. Had great season. Cost was higher of course but everyone knew that coming in. 

I think many do, but PAHL "isn't good enough".  I don't understand giving up 20 games in the area to go travel around and play meaningless games.

• Haha 1
  • 100 1

3 hours ago, Lucky17 said:

I think many do, but PAHL "isn't good enough".  I don't understand giving up 20 games in the area to go travel around and play meaningless games.

It's too many games for kids  We hear over and over from USA Hockey as coaches and the medical profession that it isn't good for them. 70 to 80 games are what the pros play. They do it full time and get paid.bKids need to do school, etc on top of their season. Burn out, over use injuries, etc.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Saucey said:

It's too many games for kids  We hear over and over from USA Hockey as coaches and the medical profession that it isn't good for them. 70 to 80 games are what the pros play. They do it full time and get paid.bKids need to do school, etc on top of their season. Burn out, over use injuries, etc.

Then add school PIHL schedule on top of it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lucky17 said:

4 hours ago, Saucey said:

I’m sure they’re all getting the recommended ammount of practice time per game too lol. 

• Like 1
  • ROTF 2

22 hours ago, Saucey said:

Then wonder why 3/4 of them get drop out at 16u.

• 100 1