You might be a delusional hockey parent

It really is sad how some of these programs sell AAA just to be able to charge the parents more money.

I know the MHR aren't 100% spot on, but they are close enough to get the idea. There are multiple "AAA" teams from a few different organizations who rank below all/most of the AA PAHL teams in the same age group.

Hey, nothing to worry about. Yeah the season is rough but this is just the next step on the ladder to NCAA D1 or Major Junior. 

Hockey is without a doubt the most convoluted, backwards sport there is as far as structuring teams and leagues that make sense. 

Keep allowing orgs to call teams whatever they want, and this is what happens. 

15 hours ago, dazedandconfused said:

If your "AAA" team is being outscored 164-2 in 15 games and you continue to tell people your kid plays AAA hockey.............. you might be a delusional hockey parent.

https://www.tier1hockeyfederation.com/standings/

Link only took me to a page with all the teams at all ages listed but assuming you are talking about the 2013 Esmark Stars - not sure why anyone calls themselves AAA at squirt level period.  Even the Pens kids that young are simply a money funnel up to the older age kids who are willing to pay the price of Excel + North Catholic.  

For a bigger woof, however, look at the U18 Mercer Chiefs.  

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the reminder. Here is an update. Things haven't really improved. 7 games in Pittsburgh all season long. At the 10U level!! What a waste of time and a great way to drive players and families away from the game. There are already enough barriers that limit the growth potential of the sport, self-imposed ones aren't needed.

https://myhockeyrankings.com/team_info.php?y=2023&t=32685

1 hour ago, dazedandconfused said:

Thanks for the reminder. Here is an update. Things haven't really improved. 7 games in Pittsburgh all season long. At the 10U level!! What a waste of time and a great way to drive players and families away from the game. There are already enough barriers that limit the growth potential of the sport, self-imposed ones aren't needed.

That’s ridiculous; all for 3 wins too. Let the kids be kids. The parents need to realize they aren’t NHL stars

1 hour ago, PGHPUCKKING said:

That’s ridiculous; all for 3 wins too. Let the kids be kids. The parents need to realize they aren’t NHL stars

This is absolutely mind blowing.  If you happen to know a parent with a kid on that team, please try to help them.

• 100 1

4 hours ago, dazedandconfused said:

I can't believe teams are not canceling games against them. All around it's not a good situation. I am also assuming the teams they were playing started to hold up and still scored all of those goals and kept them from scoring any in like a 10 game stretch. Where did they find enough families to think this is normal?

Losing is one thing, but this... Are they developing them at all? 

1 hour ago, ice is cold said:

I can't believe teams are not canceling games against them. All around it's not a good situation. I am also assuming the teams they were playing started to hold up and still scored all of those goals and kept them from scoring any in like a 10 game stretch. Where did they find enough families to think this is normal?

Losing is one thing, but this... Are they developing them at all? 

based on the scores, no, they are not developing them at all.  I would say they are developing at a slower rate than their competition

image.png.65c76c2fa4809ab667a662af2f2f7d77.png

image.png.48434e1b01e11650dde51fc63aca7389.png

Edited by YardSale
added images

1 hour ago, YardSale said:

based on the scores, no, they are not developing them at all.  I would say they are developing at a slower rate than their competition

image.png.65c76c2fa4809ab667a662af2f2f7d77.png

image.png.48434e1b01e11650dde51fc63aca7389.png

I'd argue they are going backwards in their development. Certainly their check books are going backwards. I'm sure Yuri has them in his lessons 🤣 

• 100 1

That should be criminal. 

And there's plenty of local teams that would love to have those kids on their rosters. 

But let's continue to just allow coaches and organizations to call their teams whatever they want to. 

The sad thing is parents with kids that age will think this is normal. And the kids will, too. 

I'm sure Happy Hockey Fan will be here soon to cheer everybody up and tell us that this is okay and good for local hockey.

Edited by nemesis8679
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, nemesis8679 said:

That should be criminal. 

And there's plenty of local teams that would love to have those kids on their rosters. 

But let's continue to just allow coaches and organizations to call their teams whatever they want to. 

The sad thing is parents with kids that age will think this is normal. And the kids will, too. 

I'm sure Happy Hockey Fan will be here soon to cheer everybody up and tell us that this is okay and good for local hockey.

Just curious why you brought me into it? Not sure why you would think that I would be ok with this. It is ridiculous people were scammed. I guess you think I would be ok with it because it is the parents choice? Not sure. Let me know. 

I have long said that anyone can call themselves AAA but that doesn’t make them AAA. Aviators used have a few teams that they claimed were AAA, called them the Stealth. Always a reach, and I said that those teams would have to play in to AA in PAHL. Couldn’t just say “we are AA” in PAHL. 

Edited by Happy Hockey Fan
Misspelled word.

2 hours ago, Happy Hockey Fan said:

Just curious why you brought me into it? Not sure why you would think that I would be ok with this. It is ridiculous people were scammed. I guess you think I would be ok with it because it is the parents choice? Not sure. Let me know. 

I have long said that anyone can call themselves AAA but that doesn’t make them AAA. Aviators used have a few teams that they claimed were AAA, called them the Stealth. Always a reach, and I said that those teams would have to play in to AA in PAHL. Couldn’t just say “we are AA” in PAHL. 

OK.

On 12/22/2023 at 4:54 PM, dazedandconfused said:

If your "AAA" team is being outscored 164-2 in 15 games and you continue to tell people your kid plays AAA hockey.............. you might be a delusional hockey parent.

Just because your kid plays AA, doesn’t mean you have to talk crazy behind a screen

Esmark has fallen way off. They still have a bit of a foothold with 07 and older players, but those kids will eventually age out and people have found other better options. Hard to stop the negative momentum.

I'll be interested to see what Black Bear does about Esmark, but it's for sure an issue. No bantam minor team? Not a good look.

Edited by RJUSHL

13 minutes ago, RJUSHL said:

Esmark has fallen way off. They still have a bit of a foothold with 07 and older players, but those kids will eventually age out and people have found other better options. Hard to stop the negative momentum.

I'll be interested to see what Black Bear does about Esmark, but it's for sure an issue. No bantam minor team? Not a good look.

But not one but TWO 2011 teams. 😂

24 minutes ago, RJUSHL said:

No bantam major team, 2009, right?  They have a 2010.

2 hours ago, PittsburghHockeyKingPin said:
On 12/22/2023 at 4:54 PM, dazedandconfused said:

Just because your kid plays AA, doesn’t mean you have to talk crazy behind a screen

Wait, what? I'm talking crazy?

I simply pointed out some facts (people hate those) and then offered an opinion.

2 hours ago, aaaahockey said:

But not one but TWO 2011 teams. 😂

One of which is no better than mid level PAHL AA team but hey why not pay 6K in tuition and probably 10K in travel when you could have stayed home and had a similar experience.