You must be one of the delusional parents that drink the PPE Kool aid. It's PPE or nothing roar. Your kid must suck of he doesn't have a yellow helmet. You don't have a pro logo on your warm-ups, ha peasant. You don't have DICKS scrolling across your head, you are sooo jealous.

My kid has what those kids have just at a fraction of the price. He goes to a great public school without paying extra, he gets great skills/skating without paying extra and has gotten a ton of recognition without being pushed ahead of other kids because of his yellow helmet. There is 00.00 jealousy going on. There are other options besides PPE to be seen in Pittsburgh, you just have to stop drinking the Kool aid.

Those parents pay that much money to win and that's what they did. Good for them. They did what they were supposed to do.

57 minutes ago, Pucks11 said:

You must be one of the delusional parents that drink the PPE Kool aid. It's PPE or nothing roar. Your kid must suck of he doesn't have a yellow helmet. You don't have a pro logo on your warm-ups, ha peasant. You don't have DICKS scrolling across your head, you are sooo jealous.

My kid has what those kids have just at a fraction of the price. He goes to a great public school without paying extra, he gets great skills/skating without paying extra and has gotten a ton of recognition without being pushed ahead of other kids because of his yellow helmet. There is 00.00 jealousy going on. There are other options besides PPE to be seen in Pittsburgh, you just have to stop drinking the Kool aid.

Those parents pay that much money to win and that's what they did. Good for them. They did what they were supposed to do.

Good for your son.  You should go to Play it Again Sports & use some of that $$ you saved to buy him a yellow bucket to level him up with with those overindulged Pens kids with delusional parents all wasting money to get hotel rooms at USA Hockey Nationals.  

On 3/11/2024 at 11:26 AM, dazedandconfused said:

Huh, how about that? The team that was too good for Western PA hockey wasn't the best team in Western PA?

Mid-State will provide a fine representation at Nationals.

That 14u Icemen team had a great run.  They went 20 games straight without a loss before that loosing to the Renegades in Mid Ams. They beating a team 6-3 that was ranked in the 50's AAA the weekend before Mid Ams.  A couple weeks before that the beat the Badgers 7-0.  They won their first Mid AM game 11-0 against Mt Lebo and the 2nd 5-0 against North Pitt who lost to the Badgers in the PAHL championship game.  That's just how it goes sometimes when it is just one game.  The 2009 Pens lost to a team ranked in the 60's earlier in the season.  It happens.  Unfortunately, it ended the run.  Would playing in PAHL been better for them?  I don't think looking at those scores.  Driving to NJ to play AHF probably didn't make the most sense either though as it is similar ranked competition. 

Playing an independent schedule probably would have made the most sense but it is tuff for the tweener teams to get games sometimes. Preds, Vengeance, SHAHA, and Icemen should have been playing each other but teams are to worried about the ranking.  It's a shame.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Carl Racki said:

Preds, Vengeance, SHAHA, and Icemen should have been playing each other but teams are to worried about the ranking.  It's a shame.

This ^

Edited by YardSale
Narrowed quote
  • Like 1
  • Fist Bump 1

1 hour ago, Salsemotionalfriend said:

Good for your son.  You should go to Play it Again Sports & use some of that $$ you saved to buy him a yellow bucket to level him up with with those overindulged Pens kids with delusional parents all wasting money to get hotel rooms at USA Hockey Nationals.  

Will do and while I'm at it I will pick you up some more tin foil for your hat.

8 hours ago, Carl Racki said:

That 14u Icemen team had a great run.  They went 20 games straight without a loss before that loosing to the Renegades in Mid Ams. They beating a team 6-3 that was ranked in the 50's AAA the weekend before Mid Ams.  A couple weeks before that the beat the Badgers 7-0.  They won their first Mid AM game 11-0 against Mt Lebo and the 2nd 5-0 against North Pitt who lost to the Badgers in the PAHL championship game.  That's just how it goes sometimes when it is just one game.  The 2009 Pens lost to a team ranked in the 60's earlier in the season.  It happens.  Unfortunately, it ended the run.  Would playing in PAHL been better for them?  I don't think looking at those scores.  Driving to NJ to play AHF probably didn't make the most sense either though as it is similar ranked competition. 

Playing an independent schedule probably would have made the most sense but it is tuff for the tweener teams to get games sometimes. Preds, Vengeance, SHAHA, and Icemen should have been playing each other but teams are to worried about the ranking.  It's a shame.

Shaha and icemen played each other several times.  Kudos to them btw. 

• Like 1

On 3/11/2024 at 9:25 PM, Pucks11 said:

While most of this is true, If you are 1 of the top teams in the country and can not take care of a 50th/60th ranked team handedly (no matter how good the goalie is) maybe USA hockey should reevaluate that at large bid, if it were to have come down to that.

Are we talking about one game? You know (as well as I know) that it “could” be the #1 team in the nation playing #50 from EBF Wherever, Iowa. If the inferior team has a goalie standing on his/her head whilst making unconscious saves on multiple occasions…and team Numero Uno starts having internal struggles with who gets the puck and coach starts panicking by switching up linemates (only to hinder offensive production and impede defensive responsibilities) it can inevitably come down to who’s going to blink first.

When you have that large of a disparity in rankings…and the longer the time goes where the margin on the scoreboard is negligible…the more likely that the higher ranked team implodes and the lower ranked team builds esteem and momentum.

• Like 2

This whole 15U argument reminds me of Miracle. "If we played 'em ten times, they might win nine. But not this game. Not tonight. Tonight, we skate with them." Except the underdog still lost this game. 

And you can all thank My Hockey Ratings for this argument. Winning isn't good enough anymore, if you don't exceed the "expected goal differential" Even a 2-0 SHUT OUT in a championship game wasn't good enough because they "should" have won by 5.  

If you don't key into one single game but look at the course of the season, PPE beat Esmark back to back at MidAms 9-4, and 2-0. Beat them In two regular season games, 7-0, 8-0. That's a 26-4 aggregate score, +22 spread over those 4 games.  Almost exactly the " average expected goal differential"

Plus, that expected spread is based on an entire season of data.  Knowing Esmark, their roster for the first month of the season probably differed from their roster the last month of the season. It doesn't take that into account.  It doesn't take into account injured players in the game, or long term injuries, doesn't take into account starting goalies. It's simply a number that compares past results and theoretically tells you what to expect a match up to look like. And over the course of the season it does a pretty remarkable job.  

One nice thing about PIHL games is nobody talks about these theoretical spreads. "Sure you beat BP, but you should have done it by 3 more goals." Sounds laughable right???

And going back to what I said about At large bids to nationals being good for instances where a deserving team is upset in a playoff game. Look at PIHL AA we could have a PT 7-9 team going to the state final, instead of a 17-1 SF team. And I'm not knocking PT, awesome for them, I'm rooting for them! But which team would likely give us a better chance against Philly?

At the end of the day Kansas City is the super bowl champion. Nobody cares that they needed overtime to do it or if they beat the spread or not. They won, the other team lost. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Salsemotionalfriend said:

Pucks, just thinkin’ about you as you are probably finishing up 3rd Shift.  How did baseball tryouts go?  

3rd shift, naw independent. No baseball, to slow but you really seem to be stuck on that. Now it's time to travel with all the money I saved. Spring break is coming and then summer woooo.

36 minutes ago, Pucks11 said:

3rd shift, naw independent. No baseball, to slow but you really seem to be stuck on that. Now it's time to travel with all the money I saved. Spring break is coming and then summer woooo.

Independent?  Big rigs? 🚛

FYI, its “too” not “to”.  Hard to take you serious with bad grammar.

Enjoy the break.  You seem to take all of this too <- (proper use of too) serious with your MHR math and penny saved here, penny saved there argument.  Life is short.  Enjoy your son at whatever level he plays and root for the teams that advanced on to Nationals. 

Maybe, lay off the Pittsburgh hockey scene and go troll the Shattuck St. Mary’s organization and disparage their kids.  Their program is 60k.  Thats over $1600 a win.  

1 minute ago, Salsemotionalfriend said:

Independent?  Big rigs? 🚛

FYI, its “too” not “to”.  Hard to take you serious with bad grammar.

Enjoy the break.  You seem to take all of this too <- (proper use of too) serious with your MHR math and penny saved here, penny saved there argument.  Life is short.  Enjoy your son at whatever level he plays and root for the teams that advanced on to Nationals. 

Maybe, lay off the Pittsburgh hockey scene and go troll the Shattuck St. Mary’s organization and disparage their kids.  Their program is 60k.  Thats over $1600 a win.  

I plan on rooting for the Pittsburgh teams at nationals. My kids have a lot of friends on those teams and it's always nice to see a Pittsburgh team do well on the big stage. The numbers were good for every age group except 1, seems pretty accurate to me.

3 hours ago, zam said:

This whole 15U argument reminds me of Miracle. "If we played 'em ten times, they might win nine. But not this game. Not tonight. Tonight, we skate with them." Except the underdog still lost this game. 

And you can all thank My Hockey Ratings for this argument. Winning isn't good enough anymore, if you don't exceed the "expected goal differential" Even a 2-0 SHUT OUT in a championship game wasn't good enough because they "should" have won by 5.  

If you don't key into one single game but look at the course of the season, PPE beat Esmark back to back at MidAms 9-4, and 2-0. Beat them In two regular season games, 7-0, 8-0. That's a 26-4 aggregate score, +22 spread over those 4 games.  Almost exactly the " average expected goal differential"

Plus, that expected spread is based on an entire season of data.  Knowing Esmark, their roster for the first month of the season probably differed from their roster the last month of the season. It doesn't take that into account.  It doesn't take into account injured players in the game, or long term injuries, doesn't take into account starting goalies. It's simply a number that compares past results and theoretically tells you what to expect a match up to look like. And over the course of the season it does a pretty remarkable job.  

One nice thing about PIHL games is nobody talks about these theoretical spreads. "Sure you beat BP, but you should have done it by 3 more goals." Sounds laughable right???

And going back to what I said about At large bids to nationals being good for instances where a deserving team is upset in a playoff game. Look at PIHL AA we could have a PT 7-9 team going to the state final, instead of a 17-1 SF team. And I'm not knocking PT, awesome for them, I'm rooting for them! But which team would likely give us a better chance against Philly?

At the end of the day Kansas City is the super bowl champion. Nobody cares that they needed overtime to do it or if they beat the spread or not. They won, the other team lost. 

Calm down buddy, you got off topic with the PIHL and super bowl thing. Lol

The post was how MHR were pretty accurate and things went the way they were supposed to go at Midams.

We get it, your kid plays at Pens, why else would you make all the excuses for them. No one singled out the 15o group until you just did. There probably was injuries ON BOTH SIDES.  I am pretty sure the Pens added kids throughout the year also, not just Esmark if they did. If you go and look at the game sheets and standings the Pens struggled in 3 of their 4 games. The 9-4 didn't matter to Esmark because they already clinched a spot in the championship game before the Pens did. Looks like Esmark even played their backup G. The 2-0 in the finals was pretty close until the empty net goal scored with 24 seconds left.

You would make the same excuses if the Pens lost.

https://www.midamhockey.com/

In case you want to look it up.

In the end the Pens won every division they were favored and lost the 1 they were not. MHR spread or not got everything right.

1 hour ago, Elitedaddy said:

The 2010 Pens team didn’t look top tier even though they won. Perhaps it wasn’t their best effort. They won a game 2-0 and another was one pass away from being tied 3-3 going into the third. That team is the most vulnerable for 14u. A team with size and one that passes well will beat them. They had one game that presented an expected outcome. 

image.jpeg.dcdf4138a657fb5b4409f64468167613.jpeg

Outscoring the next team in your bracket by 6 goals, only giving up 4 goals in 4 games and having a +17 goal differential seems okay...

image.jpeg.0252b70450acfa7ec95ac53ea0bcc6d2.jpeg

How'd the team that "impressed" you do?

• ROTF 3

2 hours ago, Elitedaddy said:

Watch the games- it’s not always about the score sheet. I didn’t say that I’m not giving them props. Watch the games, they are vulnerable in the future. 

I don’t have a dog in this fight but come on…. These are 13 and 14 year old kids. They’re vulnerable for goodness sake and not perfect for sure. But don’t act like this result wouldn’t happen at least 80% of the time. That’s about as much of a guarantee as you’ll find. You must not have watched the ‘games’ this year but only watched the ‘game’ in question. 

• 100 1

10 hours ago, Elitedaddy said:

The 2010 Pens team didn’t look top tier even though they won. Perhaps it wasn’t their best effort. They won a game 2-0 and another was one pass away from being tied 3-3 going into the third. That team is the most vulnerable for 14u. A team with size and one that passes well will beat them. They had one game that presented an expected outcome. 

It’s what. 13, 14u?  Who cares. In 4 years they’ll all be playing club hockey if they’re lucky. 

2 hours ago, BACKCHECKING said:

image.png.b8cd671d48c153f138283726abc7df50.png

If the rankings cutoff was a week later the Predators wouldn’t have made the Mid-Am playoffs. 

If? They made it and played well enough to prove they should have been there. So quit your crying. They beat both Indiana and Esmark during the regular season. And they beat the Vengeance in the tournament. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Happy Hockey Fan said:

If? They made it and played well enough to prove they should have been there. So quit your crying. They beat both Indiana and Esmark during the regular season. And they beat the Vengeance in the tournament. 

I apologize. I didn’t know they beat Indiana and Esmark during the regular season. No doubt in my mind if they had played 20min periods they would have definitely beaten the Pens.

YARN | No doubt in my mind. | Napoleon Dynamite (2004) | Video gifs by  quotes | 997bd189 | 紗

Just Because you have a yellow helmet doesn’t mean you're the Pens.