Covid-19 vs the Flu

The TOTAL Covid-19 numbers are updated as of 22 hours ago from an ACHD tweet.

·
22h

Since March 14, there have been 9,932 cases of COVID-19 in Allegheny County residents, 926 hospitalizations and 306 deaths.

And yet while flu "season" has long since passed, the number of cases is still substantially higher than the number of Covid-19 cases. I just can't understand why there is the need to eliminate all cases of Covid-19 before sports can be played yet every year the flu bug will rip through maybe 1 out of 10 teams during the season and no one says anything. It just makes no sense, the virus has been let out of the lab and you can't put it back in.

County Influenza Type TOTAL
A B U**

ALLEGHENY 6072 6354 1268 13694

• Like 4

Then why are we debating everything else? Play or don't play, that's each person's choice.

If you disagree so much and don't want to hear about freedom, move to the "People's Republic of China" or the "Democratic People's Republic of Korea". I'll bet you'd gain a much greater appreciation for freedoms.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

24 minutes ago, sadday4hockey said:

Then why are we debating everything else? Play or don't play, that's each person's choice.

If you disagree so much and don't want to hear about freedom, move to the "People's Republic of China" or the "Democratic People's Republic of Korea". I'll bet you'd gain a much greater appreciation for freedoms.

Unfortunately our Gov. has seen to it that we the parents cannot make that decision this fall.

1 hour ago, sadday4hockey said:
The TOTAL Covid-19 numbers are updated as of 22 hours ago from an ACHD tweet.

·
22h

Since March 14, there have been 9,932 cases of COVID-19 in Allegheny County residents, 926 hospitalizations and 306 deaths.

And yet while flu "season" has long since passed, the number of cases is still substantially higher than the number of Covid-19 cases. I just can't understand why there is the need to eliminate all cases of Covid-19 before sports can be played yet every year the flu bug will rip through maybe 1 out of 10 teams during the season and no one says anything. It just makes no sense, the virus has been let out of the lab and you can't put it back in.

County Influenza Type TOTAL
  A B U**  

ALLEGHENY 6072 6354 1268 13694

Why haven't we been asked to sign flu waivers? Why is it just for Covid-19? You seem to be implying that they are very similar.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Quinlan2020 said:

Why haven't we been asked to sign flu waivers? Why is it just for Covid-19? You seem to be implying that they are very similar.

Because the flu has a vaccine and has been around forever and nobody (pre-covid) would try to sue a hockey rink for giving their kid the flu.

But because the media has made covid a giant issue, these rinks have to be smart and cover their ass as certain people would be chomping at the bit to sue them for improper cleaning procedures resulting in their child getting it. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, forbin said:

Because the flu has a vaccine and has been around forever and nobody (pre-covid) would try to sue a hockey rink for giving their kid the flu.

But because the media has made covid a giant issue, these rinks have to be smart and cover their ass as certain people would be chomping at the bit to sue them for improper cleaning procedures resulting in their child getting it. 

But how could they sue? What would the damages be if Covid-19 is so overblown?

Just now, Quinlan2020 said:

But how could they sue? What would the damages be if Covid-19 is so overblown?

"i came to your establishment under the pretense that it was being properly cleaned and social distancing guidelines and mask protocols were being followed. After leaving your facility, my  little johnny started feeling ill and tested positive for covid. Little johnny died. Now I am suing you for exposing him to the virus and killing him. Give me $5 million dollars because that's what my lawyer has deemed his life is worth."

People will sue for anything in this country. Therefore the rinks pretty much have to cover their ass by saying "you coming here is YOUR choice and we are doing our best to follow the cleaning protocols"

• Like 2

1 minute ago, forbin said:

"i came to your establishment under the pretense that it was being properly cleaned and social distancing guidelines and mask protocols were being followed. After leaving your facility, my  little johnny started feeling ill and tested positive for covid. Little johnny died. Now I am suing you for exposing him to the virus and killing him. Give me $5 million dollars because that's what my lawyer has deemed his life is worth."

People will sue for anything in this country. Therefore the rinks pretty much have to cover their ass by saying "you coming here is YOUR choice and we are doing our best to follow the cleaning protocols"

Little Johnny died? I thought it was like the flu.

What happens if Big Johnny dies because Little Johnny brought it home? What happens if Big Johnny then takes it to work and gives it to Mary and then she spends the rest of her life as an asthmatic? Maybe Mary and her family family signed the the same waiver and everything will be good.

Why not get liability insurance? It is relatively cheap to cover things that are such low risk.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Quinlan2020 said:

What happens if Big Johnny dies because Little Johnny brought it home? What happens if Big Johnny then takes it to work and gives it to Mary and then she spends the rest of her life as an asthmatic? Maybe Mary and her family family signed the the same waiver and everything will be good.

Why not get liability insurance? It is relatively cheap to cover things that are such low risk.

The reality is, there would be no way to prove WHERE little Johnny got it.

And lets be honest, little Johnny wouldn't even know he had it most likely, or may get the sniffles. And there is ample evidence from other countries about kids not be good transmitters of this virus.....but I know, I just cherry-picked that fact because it fits my thoughts right??

9 minutes ago, Quinlan2020 said:

Re-read my posts. Did I personally say or imply at all that this was like the flu? No, I did not.

I was commenting on the fact as to why rinks have you sign a waiver and provided a hypothetical scenario in which Karen sues a hockey rink. 

8 minutes ago, powderfinger said:

The reality is, there would be no way to prove WHERE little Johnny got it.

And lets be honest, little Johnny wouldn't even know he had it most likely, or may get the sniffles. And there is ample evidence from other countries about kids not be good transmitters of this virus.....but I know, I just cherry-picked that fact because it fits my thoughts right??

That's good news that it would be hard to trace. That helps a lot if there is an asymptomatic outbreak on a sports team. Health officials wouldn't know exactly where all the new cases originated and we could still play. It would work out well as long as it wasn't our players that were getting hospitalized.

I don't think you cherry-picked any facts about how the 18 & under group don't transmit it. That is completely made up.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, forbin said:

Re-read my posts. Did I personally say or imply at all that this was like the flu? No, I did not.

I was commenting on the fact as to why rinks have you sign a waiver and provided a hypothetical scenario in which Karen sues a hockey rink. 

Honestly Little Johnny could die of the flu.  Kids die of the flu every year. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Quinlan2020 said:

Bitch, just stay in your house. Your posts contribute nothing, it’s getting nauseating at this point. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, aaaahockey said:

Honestly Little Johnny could die of the flu.  Kids die of the flu every year. 

14 years old - my oldest played with a kid from Michigan that died from the flu when it turned into his chest. Kid had no health issues, just a bad turn with the regular flu. 

5 minutes ago, Quinlan2020 said:

That's good news that it would be hard to trace. That helps a lot if there is an asymptomatic outbreak on a sports team. Health officials wouldn't know exactly where all the new cases originated and we could still play. It would work out well as long as it wasn't our players that were getting hospitalized.

I don't think you cherry-picked any facts about how the 18 & under group don't transmit it. That is completely made up.

Reading comprehension isn't your strong point is it?  I didn't say the DON'T transmit it, I said they aren't GOOD transmitters. There are plenty of valid studies on this, but you just believe it's all made up so there is no point in discussing.

2 minutes ago, Danner27 said:

14 years old - my oldest played with a kid from Michigan that died from the flu when it turned into his chest. Kid had no health issues, just a bad turn with the regular flu. 

The fact is, regular old influenza is far more dangerous to kids. But you know, it's all about killing everyone else.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, powderfinger said:

Reading comprehension isn't your strong point is it?  I didn't say the DON'T transmit it, I said they aren't GOOD transmitters. There are plenty of valid studies on this, but you just believe it's all made up so there is no point in discussing.

I respect many opinions I disagree with but saying that they aren't good transmitters is completely baseless. It's your alternative fact. Those kind of statements are the last thing we need now.

Edited by Quinlan2020

10 minutes ago, powderfinger said:

Pointed out in another topic, she only sees what she wants to see. 

10 minutes ago, Danner27 said:

Bitch, just stay in your house. Your posts contribute nothing, it’s getting nauseating at this point. 

Your the one complaining about what you can't do anymore. The longer that people like you have the "It's like the flu" or "It's not that big of a deal" attitude, the longer that you will be stuck in your miserable, freedom fighting world where you can't have the fun that you would like to. Nobody is locking us up. The rules are in place so we can back to living a better life sooner than later.

7 minutes ago, Quinlan2020 said:

Your the one complaining about what you can't do anymore. The longer that people like you have the "It's like the flu" or "It's not that big of a deal" attitude, the longer that you will be stuck in your miserable, freedom fighting world where you can't have the fun that you would like to. Nobody is locking us up. The rules are in place so we can back to living a better life sooner than later.

So tell me when things will get back to "normal"?  This virus isn't going away. We can't hide from it forever. So what is an acceptable risk?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Quinlan2020 said:

My kids are aged out, I’m trying to help get parents the real information. If my kids we’re still playing I would want as much info as I could get about how things are being handled

You contribute 0.0 to this message board  outside of your far left everyone is going to die bs. Stay in your house with your “scrub” north pgh  kids and stfu!   

Edited by Danner27
  • Like 1