When will 2nd sheet at Printscape be ready?

They have the concrete slab poured and it’s curing. I’ve heard everything from ready by second week of august to ready by Labor Day, so not really sure. But they did do a bunch of work on it over the summer and it’s in its final stages. 

• Like 1

I know Rebellion will be practicing this week. If anyone is in the rink could you take a picture and post here?

Is Black Bear planning on any other improvements besides the new sheet? More locker rooms? More stands? There's a lot of unused rooms/space underneath Bubbas and underneath the gym.

Edited by RJUSHL
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, RJUSHL said:

I know Rebellion will be practicing this week. If anyone is in the rink could you take a picture and post here?

Is Black Bear planning on any other improvements besides the new sheet? More locker rooms? More stands? There's a lot of unused rooms/space underneath Bubbas and underneath the gym.

As of Sunday, lights were still off in 2nd rink as the concrete cures. 

From what I have heard, there will be eight locker rooms in hallway, as the rental shop is going to move. 

UPMC is taking over gym and I have heard they might be taking over space under the gym. 

As for space under Bubbas, Shane Clifford is there now.  The Rebellion have a space for a large team meeting room and Peters Township is getting their own locker room (although I am not quite sure where that is going).

Either way, exciting times for Printscape and the Rebellion.

• Like 1

Thanks for the photo!

I am curious as to the sizing of the rink and if they are able to squeeze any standing area on the locker room side of the rink.

When it was a soccer field it was hard to guess how a rink would fit in there.  Now that the concrete is in I'm curious as to the layout.

Boards are being laid out now. Looks like the rink will be ready on schedule unless something unexpected happens. 

It doesn’t look like there will be much room for spectators although someone told me there might be some stands at the end by the stairs, and there’s the overlook. 

IMG_2378.jpeg

IMG_2379.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, aaaahockey said:

In all honesty I assumed (maybe wrongly) that they would schedule the vast majority of games on the other sheet with bleachers and the bar and this would be a sheet for practices, open skate, figure skating, etc.  Then seating not really an issue? 

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe on a tournament weekend, there would be games over here, but mostly it would just be for practices.

Is the new sheet a full 200x85? I know it is probably hard to tell by looking, but many of the rinks that claim to be full sized around here are not. 

1 hour ago, aaaahockey said:

In all honesty I assumed (maybe wrongly) that they would schedule the vast majority of games on the other sheet with bleachers and the bar and this would be a sheet for practices, open skate, figure skating, etc.  Then seating not really an issue? 

I have heard that is exactly what the plan is. Rink 2 will primarily be used as practice ice and additional overflow if needed for games/tournaments and what not. It will only be an ice sheet from Sept-March so they can continue to host other sports and events during the summer months. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, forbin said:

I have heard that is exactly what the plan is. Rink 2 will primarily be used as practice ice and additional overflow if needed for games/tournaments and what not. It will only be an ice sheet from Sept-March so they can continue to host other sports and events during the summer months. 

Wont have to have a dehumidifier if they don't use the ice in the summer either. It takes about 11 days after the concrete cures to bring the slab down to ice making temperature levels. You have to slowly bring a new slab down to avoid cracks. Next season they will be able to have the slab to ice making temperatures in about a day.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Spear and Magic Helmet said:

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe on a tournament weekend, there would be games over here, but mostly it would just be for practices.

Is the new sheet a full 200x85? I know it is probably hard to tell by looking, but many of the rinks that claim to be full sized around here are not. 

At a glance it looks full-size, yes. I've heard that it will be full size, too.

I remember playing roller hockey there for several years. It certainly appeared to be full size in the 90’s and early 2000’s when they put the sport court down. I recall that the original owner, Howard Baldwin, whom owned the Pens and Pittsburgh’s indoor soccer team “The Pittsburgh Stingers.”  He initially wanted it to be exactly the same as what was in the old Igloo/Civic Arena. Even the original scoreboard was made with the same graphics and highlights.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Lifelongbender said:

Looks like they're almost ready to make ice at Printscape's second sheet. The concrete is wet here - there's no ice - but the boards are complete. You can see a scoreboard up there at the end, too.

230826 Printscape Second Sheet.jpg

Interesting!  Looks like old glass and boards!  Recycled from some place else.  You would think they could have cleaned the glass before they put it up.   But who cares as long as we get another sheet of ice.   Is Hunt Armory happening this year?

1 hour ago, hockeyisgreat said:

Interesting!  Looks like old glass and boards!  Recycled from some place else.  You would think they could have cleaned the glass before they put it up.   But who cares as long as we get another sheet of ice.   Is Hunt Armory happening this year?

They probably just stole the boards from the the no good new ken rink 😂

Edited by Icebucket
  • Like 1
  • ROTF 1

Hopefully this is close as here is a list of rinks that have not yet been "brought up"

The already discussed 2nd sheet at PIA which apparently has concerning issues

The 3rd sheet at Palmer - not typically frozen until September, but if it's not fully booked, then what do they do?

The Ice Mine - no ice now and who knows what the future of that place ever is

Rostraver - guess it's not in BB's financial interest to have ice there.