You might be a delusional hockey parent

16 minutes ago, Oighir said:

Depends on the parent/coach, in my opinion. Non-parent coaches would be a welcome change, but most of the time, it comes saddled with their training/lesson business on the side.  Or they bring in outside players. I guess my point is there are pros and cons to non-parent coaches.  If you can keep out the extracurricular unspoken requirements, that's what will help keep things neutral. Unfortunately, it's not an easy thing to do.

I'm just not sure it's worth it for AA programs to narrow the focus on coaching searches at this point. AAA should be able to sort out coaching without parents. The money is there, and typically, the resources, so presumably, you could get an outside coach without much issue.  I'd argue that's a perk of playing AAA among other things. 

There are certainly good parent/coaches out there, some of which I would much rather have coaching my kid than some of these paid coaches with the side training expectation mentioned.  Some of these guys are in it for the wrong reasons.  Many of the parent/coaches have a great hockey background and are not in it for the money, just the love of the game and wanting to help their kid and his/her teammates with their knowledge.

• Like 3
  • 100 1

1 hour ago, HereForTheChirps said:

There are certainly good parent/coaches out there, some of which I would much rather have coaching my kid than some of these paid coaches with the side training expectation mentioned.  Some of these guys are in it for the wrong reasons.  Many of the parent/coaches have a great hockey background and are not in it for the money, just the love of the game and wanting to help their kid and his/her teammates with their knowledge.

The "parent coach" discussion always makes me laugh... don't get me wrong there are also parent coaches out there that know very little about the game and just are trying to help, but it's like someone that is good at hockey, knows how to coach, cares about the kids, has considerable hockey knowledge is all of a sudden null and void once they have a kid?! 

I get it, everyone is worried that kids will be treated "unfairly", "favored", etc. if a parent is behind the bench. If anything, I probably gave/give my kids less leniency when I coached them. I know that isn't always the case, but nothing ever is. So "parent coach", "non-parent coach", who gives a shit. Can the guy/girl coach and treat all the players accordingly? That's all that should matter.

• Like 4
  • 100 2

2 hours ago, LGP13 said:

The "parent coach" discussion always makes me laugh... don't get me wrong there are also parent coaches out there that know very little about the game and just are trying to help, but it's like someone that is good at hockey, knows how to coach, cares about the kids, has considerable hockey knowledge is all of a sudden null and void once they have a kid?! 

I get it, everyone is worried that kids will be treated "unfairly", "favored", etc. if a parent is behind the bench. If anything, I probably gave/give my kids less leniency when I coached them. I know that isn't always the case, but nothing ever is. So "parent coach", "non-parent coach", who gives a shit. Can the guy/girl coach and treat all the players accordingly? That's all that should matter.

This right here☝🏻🏻🏻. I know for a fact that in 1 Tier 1 AAA birth year that 4 of the the top 10 teams in the country have parent coaches. I know "pay for" coaches that are worse than parent coaches. The people usually complaining about parent coaches know NOTHING about hockey and just repeat what they hear other complaining parents say or they THINK their kid is better than they are. If you don't like it then volunteer/apply yourself.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pucks11 said:

This right here☝🏻🏻🏻. I know for a fact that in 1 Tier 1 AAA birth year that 4 of the the top 10 teams in the country have parent coaches. I know "pay for" coaches that are worse than parent coaches. The people usually complaining about parent coaches know NOTHING about hockey and just repeat what they hear other complaining parents say or they THINK their kid is better than they are. If you don't like it then volunteer/apply yourself.

I think every parent coach situation is different and the majority of parents realize a parent coach who is experienced and a good coach vs a parent. But let's all be honest... up until recently the "parent coaches" were just parents who could stand on skates and coach in PAHL... it's the last few years where PAHL orgs have stepped it up to have parent coaches who actually played hockey and had the aptitude to coach. Not everyone who can skate or played hockey can coach.  Just saying. Can't put them all in one bucket. Frankly some of them suck and were coaching for their player, family, friends benefit and it was obvious to what teams had that approach (cough, cough, NP to name one)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ice is cold said:

I think every parent coach situation is different and the majority of parents realize a parent coach who is experienced and a good coach vs a parent. But let's all be honest... up until recently the "parent coaches" were just parents who could stand on skates and coach in PAHL... it's the last few years where PAHL orgs have stepped it up to have parent coaches who actually played hockey and had the aptitude to coach. Not everyone who can skate or played hockey can coach.  Just saying. Can't put them all in one bucket. Frankly some of them suck and were coaching for their player, family, friends benefit and it was obvious to what teams had that approach (cough, cough, NP to name one)

While there are great parent coaches, the kind you mentioned are still alive and well, in PAHL and beyond.

On 2/9/2024 at 4:58 PM, Pucks11 said:

It's also a sales pitch....paid coaches!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Saucey said:

It's also a sales pitch....paid coaches!

I dunno. My son had a parent coach his first 2 years (which he didn't start ice untill u12) and they were both pretty bad. Taught him wrong things, kids acting like idiots, almost dangerous on the ice with no ramifications or correction, it was awful, he wanted to quit. So I think it all depends on the coach. Not all parents, not all paid coaches, not all ex players can be coaches. It takes a person who knows the game, can handles kids appropriately and can discipline in the right way. Unfortunately, that typically lands on a paid coach as they don't have a personal association with a child and said childs friends. And they also typically have coached longer than a parent coach. 

Edited by ice is cold

7 hours ago, ice is cold said:

I dunno. My son had a parent coach his first 2 years (which he didn't start ice untill u12) and they were both pretty bad. Taught him wrong things, kids acting like idiots, almost dangerous on the ice with no ramifications or correction, it was awful, he wanted to quit. So I think it all depends on the coach. Not all parents, not all paid coaches, not all ex players can be coaches. It takes a person who knows the game, can handles kids appropriately and can discipline in the right way. Unfortunately, that typically lands on a paid coach as they don't have a personal association with a child and said childs friends. And they also typically have coached longer than a parent coach. 

I don't disagree. But paid coaches are used as a sales pitch, like they are always better.

• 1 month later...
On 2/2/2024 at 9:23 PM, ice is cold said:

And that is why people who are not part of this cult realize how bad it is for Pittsburgh hockey.... 

that coach is a liar and not a good human being.  Parents let their kids play for him the are not good parent. He calls kids names that their worst enemies wouldn’t call them.  Basically a bully to kids. Parents are afraid to say anything cause he guarantees he is going to get them to juniors.   That guy shouldn’t be aloud to coach.  Ask all the refs and other teams.  That guy is destroying Esmark’s rep.    While you have yuri which is an awesome coach and really knows hockey.   If you pay for privates with that coach you will play.  It’s a business.   Also tells lies that Esmark 2011 has #1 forward in pa.   Already getting recruited for college at 12.   Also smokes vapes on benches.    Quits on kids like a baby.  Not a man at all. 

Does anyone know how the PeeWee tryouts at Esmark are going?  Do they have a lot of kids at the tryouts or will they be taking everyone who is trying out like they did last year!  They started Saturday and are ending today!  Will be interesting to see if they field teams considering all the bad press they got this year!

6 hours ago, Not in the cult said:

that coach is a liar and not a good human being.  Parents let their kids play for him the are not good parent. He calls kids names that their worst enemies wouldn’t call them.  Basically a bully to kids. Parents are afraid to say anything cause he guarantees he is going to get them to juniors.   That guy shouldn’t be aloud to coach.  Ask all the refs and other teams.  That guy is destroying Esmark’s rep.    While you have yuri which is an awesome coach and really knows hockey.   If you pay for privates with that coach you will play.  It’s a business.   Also tells lies that Esmark 2011 has #1 forward in pa.   Already getting recruited for college at 12.   Also smokes vapes on benches.    Quits on kids like a baby.  Not a man at all. 

which coach is this? 

48 minutes ago, Not in the cult said:

Coach of red

Their website lists 2 2012 teams and 1 2011 team. There are 2 coaches that overlap from those teams.

Who is to say that they don't have the best forward in PA? It's not like they said all of USA, North America or the World. I am sure there are coaches in Philly saying they have the best kid in PA also. It's personal opinion and at that age no real facts to prove it.

The best kid on my kids squirt team played on the 4th line of 100+ ranked team when he hit 16u. Anything can happen and a lot can change.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Pucks11 said:

Their website lists 2 2012 teams and 1 2011 team. There are 2 coaches that overlap from those teams.

Who is to say that they don't have the best forward in PA? It's not like they said all of USA, North America or the World. I am sure there are coaches in Philly saying they have the best kid in PA also. It's personal opinion and at that age no real facts to prove it.

The best kid on my kids squirt team played on the 4th line of 100+ ranked team when he hit 16u. Anything can happen and a lot can change.

They absolutely do not have the best 2011 on either of their 2011 teams last year.   There were at least 8 kids better than anyone on their team at Pens and I could likely name several AA PAHL and AAA players on other teams as good or close to good as him that it would be competitive if they were actually evaluated together.   If their best player was as good as they pretend he would go to Pens as well.  Just a silly thing to say.  

1 hour ago, aaaahockey said:

They absolutely do not have the best 2011 on either of their 2011 teams last year.   There were at least 8 kids better than anyone on their team at Pens and I could likely name several AA PAHL and AAA players on other teams as good or close to good as him that it would be competitive if they were actually evaluated together.   If their best player was as good as they pretend he would go to Pens as well.  Just a silly thing to say.  

All the best players do not HAVE to play for Pens, nor do all the best ones play at Pens at every level. Some families can't afford to play there, it doesn't mean their kid isn't good enough. Some kids go out of town because it's cheaper than Pens. Some parents/kids just don't like the Pens. It's not Pens or die.

Again, every coach thinks they have the best kid. It's PERSONAL OPINION. Those 8 kids that you know for sure at Pens that are better are 1 injury or growth spurt away from being in PAHL.

I guarantee I could make a team at EVERY level of AAA from the leftovers that are not at/cut from Pens and win 8 out of 10 games at each level.

22 minutes ago, Pucks11 said:

All the best players do not HAVE to play for Pens, nor do all the best ones play at Pens at every level. Some families can't afford to play there, it doesn't mean their kid isn't good enough. Some kids go out of town because it's cheaper than Pens. Some parents/kids just don't like the Pens. It's not Pens or die.

Again, every coach thinks they have the best kid. It's PERSONAL OPINION. Those 8 kids that you know for sure at Pens that are better are 1 injury or growth spurt away from being in PAHL.

I guarantee I could make a team at EVERY level of AAA from the leftovers that are not at/cut from Pens and win 8 out of 10 games at each level.

No one said they all have to play at Pens.  I'm very opposed to both what the Pens are doing and especially faux AAA.  I don't even think the kid is as good as multiple AA players on multiple teams.  

I don't think every coach thinks they have the best player at an age group.  As a matter of fact I don't think I've ever heard a coach claim that unless they were blowing smoke up someone's butt to get them to stay.  

4 minutes ago, dazedandconfused said:

One would hope that in your premature excitement you typed that incorrectly and meant 8 or 10 games total and not 8 out of 10.

No typo. 8 out of 10 at each level. All kids from Pittsburgh not playing for Pens. All of their best players are imports or 2+hrs away.

1 minute ago, aaaahockey said:

No one said they all have to play at Pens.  I'm very opposed to both what the Pens are doing and especially faux AAA.  I don't even think the kid is as good as multiple AA players on multiple teams.  

I don't think every coach thinks they have the best player at an age group.  As a matter of fact I don't think I've ever heard a coach claim that unless they were blowing smoke up someone's butt to get them to stay.  

There are definitely to many AAA teams in this area. I don't know the kid or coach, just sick of all the Pens cronies thinking it's PPE or nothing. PPE claims to get all of these donations yet they are still the most expensive organization around.

There are plenty of good AA kids, some don't have the money and some parents don't like to travel.

The smoke is how they get kids hanging on the fence.

12 hours ago, Pucks11 said:

There are definitely to many AAA teams in this area. I don't know the kid or coach, just sick of all the Pens cronies thinking it's PPE or nothing. PPE claims to get all of these donations yet they are still the most expensive organization around.

There are plenty of good AA kids, some don't have the money and some parents don't like to travel.

The smoke is how they get kids hanging on the fence.

Too not to 🤦🏻‍♂️. I thought we spoke about your spelling & grammar…

On 4/2/2024 at 8:37 PM, Pucks11 said:

Pucks11…. You are completely out of your mind. You are the definition of the title of this thread… DELUSIONAL. So fitting. The kids in the high level teams like Pens have earned their spots. Unlike the prep schools, the Pens are majority local and yet they are still competing in North Dakota. Totally shuts your theory and stupid thought process down. Clearly you have a kid that can’t hang with the Pens. That’s ok. Just accept it, move on, and play AA. 

29 minutes ago, MashedTaters00 said:

Pucks11…. You are completely out of your mind. You are the definition of the title of this thread… DELUSIONAL. So fitting. The kids in the high level teams like Pens have earned their spots. Unlike the prep schools, the Pens are majority local and yet they are still competing in North Dakota. Totally shuts your theory and stupid thought process down. Clearly you have a kid that can’t hang with the Pens. That’s ok. Just accept it, move on, and play AA. 

Hey, you can’t talk like that to Pucks. Pucks is my best friend. 

Edited by Salsemotionalfriend

1 hour ago, MashedTaters00 said:

Hey U15 Pens dad - we see you.   You need to look at the U16 and U18 rosters - the majority of players are not local kids.

But give it time.  Soon enough when your kid gets into those older age groups he will face “different odds” on his path to the NHL.

Let’s circle back after tryouts, yes?

Edited by fafa fohi
  • 100 1

11 minutes ago, fafa fohi said:

Hey U15 Pens dad - we see you.   You need to look at the U16 and U18 rosters - the majority of players are not local kids.

But give it time.  Soon enough when your kid gets into those older age groups he will face “different odds” on his path to the NHL.

Let’s circle back after tryouts, yes?

That’s the problem with this thread. Everyone thinks their kid is going to the NHL. everyone on here thinks that. Sorry to burst your bubble but that is not the mindset of all. My personal child is a 2011 but know many on this Pens team and similar birth years. I only could hope my child can have a similar experience.  Like I said in a previous post, anyone who thinks their kid is going to the NHL isn’t thinking straight. There is so much more to these experiences. What drives me nuts is the disgruntled keyboard cowboys that think their child belongs somewhere they aren’t and blames everyone for their faults. Seems like another jealous human upset their kid isn’t celebrating in a city hosting a national championship. Semi finals 2 years in a row is a great accomplishment for that team and those players and families. NHL isn’t always the only goal. Most know that but won’t accept it. That’s too bad. Hockey is a great sport that offers so much more than just the NHL. Open your eyes.