E̷s̷m̷a̷r̷k̷ PITTSBURGH Stars?!

15 hours ago, Spear and Magic Helmet said:

Was there some reason they went from Pittsburgh Stars to Steel City Stars back in the 90s??

What other names have they had? I think they were the Viper Stars for a while too.

The North Hills Vipers were a pretty successful organization until the late 80s if I remember right, I had friends that played for them.  I think they had money problems or leadership problems and declined, maybe tried moving rinks.  They ultimately merged with Steel City Stars and played a few years as the Viper Stars.

As far as Esmark money, I'm sure they were still getting sponsor money from them. But the Esmark owner/CEO jut retired and sold the Tomahawks and is probably just winding down his hockey philanthropy. 

47 minutes ago, HatTrick said:

I'm more intrigued by the company. 

The website is pretty basic and underwhelming, but they claim to be some giant conglomerate. I've never heard of Esmark steel, aviation or anything else other than the hockey club, and I have worked in the steel industry. They are "formerly" traded on Nasdaq, that checks out because they aren't listed on there. They have 1 picture of a semi-truck from different angles with an Esmark tarp on it on their steel business site... I've never seen an Esmark truck on the roads. The aviation site is even worse with 2 pictures, one of a plane on the runway and another of a plane's cockpit. Their owner claimed they had enough money in the bank to buy US steel with cash a few months ago (7.8 B). I've looked on LinkedIn, Indeed and a few other job sites, and the best I can come up with is they have or have had at MOST 20 employees across their businesses and no job openings posted publicly. The manufacturing and fabrication site looks the most legit, but even it has text over pictures that make it difficult to read and again, no job postings or anyone on job sites that claim they work there.

Are they just investors that invest in all these different industries and slap their name on them? Even if they are, the businesses they are claiming to invest in don't really seem to exist or be successful. I'm genuinely confused...can anyone help me out on this?

30 minutes ago, LGP13 said:

The website is pretty basic and underwhelming, but they claim to be some giant conglomerate. I've never heard of Esmark steel, aviation or anything else other than the hockey club, and I have worked in the steel industry. They are "formerly" traded on Nasdaq, that checks out because they aren't listed on there. They have 1 picture of a semi-truck from different angles with an Esmark tarp on it on their steel business site... I've never seen an Esmark truck on the roads. The aviation site is even worse with 2 pictures, one of a plane on the runway and another of a plane's cockpit. Their owner claimed they had enough money in the bank to buy US steel with cash a few months ago (7.8 B). I've looked on LinkedIn, Indeed and a few other job sites, and the best I can come up with is they have or have had at MOST 20 employees across their businesses and no job openings posted publicly. The manufacturing and fabrication site looks the most legit, but even it has text over pictures that make it difficult to read and again, no job postings or anyone on job sites that claim they work there.

Are they just investors that invest in all these different industries and slap their name on them? Even if they are, the businesses they are claiming to invest in don't really seem to exist or be successful. I'm genuinely confused...can anyone help me out on this?

Maybe someone should go knock on some doors at their fancy new building in Sewickley and see what's going on in there. Perhaps it's just a big Ponzi scheme that you finally cracked. Or maybe they just need a new social media, website, linkedIn, coordinator.

5 hours ago, LGP13 said:

I have wondered all of that same stuff, but thought maybe I was just the dumb one. I could've written your whole post exactly verbatim.