Midam/USA hockey decision on hockey

Word has it that midam and USA hockey will be making a “ruling” this evening on the status of hockey this weekend and perhaps in the near future.

I’m usually very optimistic but I don’t expect this to go well.  

53 minutes ago, Scooby Doo said:

Supposedly there is now a 25 person limit inside any rink.  That ought to just about kill hockey for the time being.  

Rinks are private business, if true it will be very interesting to see how this plays out. Certain schools are already going against PIAA, they all happen to be in Allegheny County. USA Hockey has been publishing a slogan on social media all week stating “hockey is back”. 

1 hour ago, Scooby Doo said:

Supposedly there is now a 25 person limit inside any rink.  That ought to just about kill hockey for the time being.  

That 25 person rule has been in place since the new Allegheny County restrictions were put in place at the end of June. Am I wrong?

2 minutes ago, Quinlan2020 said:

That 25 person rule has been in place since the new Allegheny County restrictions were put in place at the end of June. Am I wrong?

I couldn’t answer that but most rinks such as alpha have been playing games with 18 Skaters per team. 

1 minute ago, Saucey said:

A rule being in place and people following that rule are two different things.

Oh i think I was reading this thread wrong.  Above they were saying Mid-AM made a rule that only 25 people in each rink?  That's been PA's rule for a while now (unless you have separate rooms, so if you had two rinks that could be 25 per sheet of ice).  (Yes, I know places have been skirting the rules).  So this would extend beyond PA to Ohio, indiana, etc correct?  

Is this "rule" written down anywhere? 

1 minute ago, aaaahockey said:

Oh i think I was reading this thread wrong.  Above they were saying Mid-AM made a rule that only 25 people in each rink?  That's been PA's rule for a while now (unless you have separate rooms, so if you had two rinks that could be 25 per sheet of ice).  (Yes, I know places have been skirting the rules).  So this would extend beyond PA to Ohio, indiana, etc correct?  

Is this "rule" written down anywhere? 

Things are confusing right now (since the pandemic, right?) because there is a 25 person indoor rule for PA, but not all rinks are following it. Or interpreting it very loosely. The Atlantic division put the 25 in place. I think Mid Am is expected to come out with something similar. USA hockey has published detailed return to hockey guidelines, but also footnotes it with you have to follow your state rules. We will hear soon I hope, impossible to try and plan a season otherwise.

I haven’t seen anything official from MIDAM yet, but my understanding is that USA Hockey and MIDAM won’t sanction any games held in states that have restrictions in place. So no sanctioned games in PA because of the 25 max indoor mandate, but OH can because their state doesn’t have the same limits. 

I get that there needs to be some limitations, but this blanket rule is too broad. Size of the venue and playing surface should be part of the equation.

Mid am has stated that hockey will be played like in Michigan. 4 on 4, no checking 10 players per team. That’s the end of any real hockey for this year, they should change the hockey is back slogan. This isn’t a county issue, it’s going to be every state. It‘s coming from Denver. 

Edited by Danner27

5 minutes ago, Danner27 said:

Mid am has stated that hockey will be played like in Michigan. 4 on 4, no checking 10 players per team. That’s the end of any real hockey for this year, they should change the hockey is back slogan. This isn’t a county issue, it’s going to be every state. It‘s coming from Denver. 

How many coaches? I guess 2? and one referee to make it 25 people on the ice?

8 minutes ago, Danner27 said:

what are the covid rules in michigan? i was just reading an article about how rinks are still completely closed and on the brink of not being able to reopen because of financials. are they closed or is 4 on 4 with no checking allowed?  And can full youth and junior games be played in ohio with no restrictions? fans?

11 minutes ago, Danner27 said:

You have a written source on this (Mid-am)?  I heard the rumor 3 months ago but have still never seen a written rule of any sort. To me as awful as it sounds 3v3 would make more sense than 4v4 with 9 skaters. 

27 minutes ago, Ynot02 said:

I haven’t seen anything official from MIDAM yet, but my understanding is that USA Hockey and MIDAM won’t sanction any games held in states that have restrictions in place. So no sanctioned games in PA because of the 25 max indoor mandate, but OH can because their state doesn’t have the same limits. 

I get that there needs to be some limitations, but this blanket rule is too broad. Size of the venue and playing surface should be part of the equation.

That makes sense, but it seems like a hard thing to draw these fine lines and say this rink is better suited than this rink for these rules. It's like saying that the speed limit for Jeeps is 45 in the same place that it is 65 for cars that are less prone to rollover. I get what you are saying, but I think these finely targeted rules will cause more anger than satisfaction even if they are geared toward common sense. I don't have a solution to this. Things are just so complicated right now and I just don't sense any strong leadership from anyone.

7 minutes ago, aaaahockey said:

You have a written source on this (Mid-am)?  I heard the rumor 3 months ago but have still never seen a written rule of any sort. To me as awful as it sounds 3v3 would make more sense than 4v4 with 9 skaters. 

Friend from mid am. The decision was made yesterday. I’m sure all the teams are probably just being notified. Scooby doo said he’s playing today, Scooby dooby do where are you ? 

this is just plain stupid imo, this is how ALL USA hockey games at every level will be played this year. i said hockey would be shut down this year (always hoped I was wrong). At this point why even play ?

No contact - USA hockey has wanted this for some time, Covid gives them a reason to put it in place. 

6 minutes ago, Danner27 said:

Friend from mid am. The decision was made yesterday. I’m sure all the teams are probably just being notified. Scooby doo said he’s playing today, Scooby dooby do where are you ? 

this is just plain stupid imo, this is how ALL USA hockey games at every level will be played this year. i said hockey would be shut down this year (always hoped I was wrong). At this point why even play ?

No contact - USA hockey has wanted this for some time, Covid gives them a reason to put it in place. 

Well my kids would rather play than not play plus the exercise is good for them but we can agree it's stupid. 

47 minutes ago, Ynot02 said:

I’m trying to reach out to friend at culver to see what’s going on out their way. In my old age I could have heard wrong but I’m positive my district friend said it’s all of USA hockey, he did not clarify the state thing. @Scooby Doo should have some solid info when his game is over. 

I

8 minutes ago, Danner27 said:

And what would prevent organizations from just doing their own thing? Forming their own rogue leagues or house leagues? Insurance? Liability?

11 minutes ago, Quinlan2020 said:

I

And what would prevent organizations from just doing their own thing? Forming their own rogue leagues or house leagues? Insurance? Liability?

That was the article I posted a few months ago about AAU was going to take off.  The big question is what the rinks do. 

It's all so crazy with different rules everywhere and all these rules just seem optional anyway. People are going to do whatever they want. I hear of all these "violations" and have even seen it happening first hand. Maybe they get a warning, but that's even unlikely. Maybe I should stop even caring so I can start sleeping more at night.

all great questions, I’ve reached out to people in Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Denver, Florida, ny, nj, along with everywhere else I still have friends and contacts. I’ll share whatever comes my way. Hopefully this will help you folks that still have kids playing. One thing that really rattled my chain, no contact. Hockey Canada has begun phasing it out for amateur, USA hockey wanted to follow. I have a feeling regardless how this plays out, no contact is going to finally stick.  

2 minutes ago, Quinlan2020 said:

It's all so crazy with different rules everywhere and all these rules just seem optional anyway. People are going to do whatever they want. I hear of all these "violations" and have even seen it happening first hand. Maybe they get a warning, but that's even unlikely. Maybe I should stop even caring so I can start sleeping more at night.

This is completely different than alpha running a tournament how they want. This is the sanctioning body that governs hockey in the United States.