2022 WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA PENGUIN CUP SCHEDULE

STATES 

Penn State was a failure and not gonna happen real soon 

East - IceLine is the best facility 

West = Lemieux + RMU or maybe Harmar are good locations and seat 1000-1500 

Penguins Cup 

PPG Paints is great in lower bowl and 15 K + to open the doors 

Letting Students in for free with HS Jersey would fill the arena at an all-day event (If it breaks even or makes money Great) 

More community involvement would lead to more interest more Penguins Tickets Sold and they should be interested especially with Sid and Geno in the twilight of their careers 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nemesis8679 said:

I couldn't believe it- the afternoon DJ on the The X today was talking about high school hockey and the Penguins Cup and how it's disappointing that it gets no coverage. 

Wouldn’t ya know…

1 hour ago, Jack Handey said:

So who puts on the Penguins Cup, Flyers Cup, Pennsylvania Cup?  Who's in charge here?  Is it you @Pa Hockey ?

No - I was involved with the beginnings of the PIHL and States in 1996 - 2001 and moved on. 

The PIHL runs the Penguins Cup and the EPIHA runs the Flyers Cup and together they coordinate States 

I've been to 31 Years of the State Final (going today) and 35 years of the Penguins Cup and enjoy attending the games and recrding history 

20 hours ago, Happy Hockey Fan said:

The cost to foot the bill? What about all the money taxpayers spent for the Pens to have a brand new building? That arena should be used not only for the championship games, but many other games as well. I played there as a member of Duquesne around 5 games a year. And that rink should be available for Duquesne and Pitt to use now. It is ridiculous to think that the rink gets used for around 45 Pens games and sits idle the rest of the time. Especially since it is a public subsidized building. 

You're not wrong about the taxpayers paying for this building. I would argue it's more than 45 Penguins games though. There are a number of concerts and other events at PPG every year. Certainly the Penguins are the main tenant, but they are far from the only user of the facility - just last weekend we had NCAA basketball there.

I stand by my point that someone has to pay to turn on the lights. You might start by asking who sponsored your City Game on Ice. I'm sure there is a reason it's not a yearly event at PPG. We also paid for the Wells Fargo arena or whatever it's called out east, and they never have the state championships there either.

I am sure money is not the only reason we don't have high school hockey events at PPG, but money an easy out for PPG if they want to say no. To your point, back in the 1970s, there were many, many regular season games at the Civic Arena.

18 hours ago, Pa Hockey said:

STATES 

Penn State was a failure and not gonna happen real soon 

East - IceLine is the best facility 

Penguins Cup 

PPG Paints is great in lower bowl and 15 K + to open the doors 

Letting Students in for free with HS Jersey would fill the arena at an all-day event (If it breaks even or makes money Great) 

More community involvement would lead to more interest more Penguins Tickets Sold and they should be interested especially with Sid and Geno in the twilight of their careers 

You forgot Rostraver. Location is terrible, facility is not great, but they got a lot of seats!!! At least that was the excuse back in the 90s when they had a bunch of playoff games there.

5 minutes ago, Spear and Magic Helmet said:

You forgot Rostraver. Location is terrible, facility is not great, but they got a lot of seats!!! At least that was the excuse back in the 90s when they had a bunch of playoff games there.

Too Far from the city IMO

It is simple.  Have it at PPG.  They had it there and the Mellon/Civic arena for years.  No reason they can't do it again. It is sad when students and families can not attend championship games because they hold them in a facility that is to small to accommodate the fans that want to attend.  Very sad and no excuse.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Carl Racki said:

It is simple.  Have it at PPG.  They had it there and the Mellon/Civic arena for years.  No reason they can't do it again. It is sad when students and families can not attend championship games because they hold them in a facility that is to small to accommodate the fans that want to attend.  Very sad and no excuse.

No Question 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, nemesis8679 said:

Thats dumb. Should just be running clock. Whether winning or losing, they went to play. It's on caching for running up a score like that. 

no no no you come to win period. its the finals.   if you look they only had 23 shots and scored 10 goals......

31 minutes ago, hockeyisgreat said:

Wow, how good is this West Chester East team?  Could they beat Peters Twp?  Why are they playing A?

PA Hockey has been telling everyone for weeks that they can beat anyone and are perhaps the best team in the state this year.  I believe the beat Malvern during the regular season.

They are playing A because that is the size of their school.  Hockey in the East is done like all other sports in the state.  You are placed in divisions for Flyers Cup based on school size.  A is small schools.  AA is large schools.  AAA is schools with no-boundary.  During the season you play in your league, which may include a mix of A,AA and AAA.  For Flyers Cup you play only teams in your size.

2 hours ago, carroll81 said:

PA Hockey has been telling everyone for weeks that they can beat anyone and are perhaps the best team in the state this year.  I believe the beat Malvern during the regular season.

They are playing A because that is the size of their school.  Hockey in the East is done like all other sports in the state.  You are placed in divisions for Flyers Cup based on school size.  A is small schools.  AA is large schools.  AAA is schools with no-boundary.  During the season you play in your league, which may include a mix of A,AA and AAA.  For Flyers Cup you play only teams in your size.

They also do not move teams up and down like we do in the west. If you go undefeated in the west chances are you are going to get moved up in class. That doesn’t happen in the East. Look at the 7 straight state championships by Bayard Rustin. They would have been moved up after their second championship in the west. It is a real shame that the East and West do things so differently. 

And Bayard Rustin is not a small school by anyones standards, so I don’t know how they were ever a single A team. 

• Like 1

Great to be back at IceLine for the Pennsylvania Finals 

Norwin shoould be proud of its Penguins Cup and West Chester East is a terrific team and loses 10 + Seniors so why move them up ? They should be congratulated for having a great team. 10 year since QV won it in 2012 

Thomas Jefferson and Pennridge was a great matchup decided in Double OT. Kudos to coach Zeiler as they fell short and congrats to Pennridge and a goalie who faced 56 shots and won it for his team 

Finally congrats to Rick Tingle and Peters for 3 States in 8 years and pulling it off against a very good Malvern Prep Team

Looks like we will be back at Lemieux for the 2023 Finals 

Great Crowds yesterday with 700 - 900 Fans at each game and kudos for the PIHL and EPIHA for their work 

59 minutes ago, Pa Hockey said:

Great to be back at IceLine for the Pennsylvania Finals 

Norwin shoould be proud of its Penguins Cup and West Chester East is a terrific team and loses 10 + Seniors so why move them up ? They should be congratulated for having a great team. 10 year since QV won it in 2012 

Thomas Jefferson and Pennridge was a great matchup decided in Double OT. Kudos to coach Zeiler as they fell short and congrats to Pennridge and a goalie who faced 56 shots and won it for his team 

Finally congrats to Rick Tingle and Peters for 3 States in 8 years and pulling it off against a very good Malvern Prep Team

Looks like we will be back at Lemieux for the 2023 Finals 

Great Crowds yesterday with 700 - 900 Fans at each game and kudos for the PIHL and EPIHA for their work 

In the west. Montour won single A pens cup, got blown out in state championships, lost a bunch of seniors and they got moved up. So why shouldn’t that happen in the East? My point is that there are two different ways to classify. And it is unfair to the teams in the west. 

Montour was in A one year and they finished 6th in the division. Had a number of regular season losses. Lost 8 seniors. They got moved up the next year and struggled mightily. Even though none of the teams that finished higher than them got moved up.  Got moved back down to A the following year. Won, and got moved back up to AA. That kind of ridiculousness doesn’t happen in the East. There should be one system to classify to make things more fair for all teams in East and West. 

The west may never win another Single A state title if things stay the course. 

Edited by Happy Hockey Fan

2 hours ago, Happy Hockey Fan said:

They also do not move teams up and down like we do in the west. If you go undefeated in the west chances are you are going to get moved up in class. That doesn’t happen in the East. Look at the 7 straight state championships by Bayard Rustin. They would have been moved up after their second championship in the west. It is a real shame that the East and West do things so differently. 

And Bayard Rustin is not a small school by anyones standards, so I don’t know how they were ever a single A team. 

Using the PIAA Lacrosse classifications as reference (closest I could find for 2 divisions).  The have AA and AAA.  The cutoff between the divisions seemed to be 490.

West Chester Rustin: 469

West Chester East: 453

For reference:

Moon Area: 458

Peters Township: 452

https://phillylacrosse.com/2022/piaa-releases-boys-classification-enrollments-by-division-for-2023-2024-seasons/

44 minutes ago, carroll81 said:

Using the PIAA Lacrosse classifications as reference (closest I could find for 2 divisions).  The have AA and AAA.  The cutoff between the divisions seemed to be 490.

West Chester Rustin: 469

West Chester East: 453

For reference:

Moon Area: 458

Peters Township: 452

https://phillylacrosse.com/2022/piaa-releases-boys-classification-enrollments-by-division-for-2023-2024-seasons/

And Montour, 297. How do you justify that? Your argument holds no water. There are NINE schools with higher enrollment numbers than Montour playing below them. Some of them have almost twice the enrollment of Montour. The system is jacked up no matter how you look at it. At the very least both sides of the state should be using the exact same criteria for placement. 

you didn’t address the fact that if you win two state championships in the west, you are absolutely getting moved up in classification. But you can win seven in a row in the East and you can  still remain in the smallest classification. If you can’t see that, you are ignoring simple facts. 

nothing you have said can explain that what happens in the East and West are totally different. 

please explain to me how this is fair. With examples, like I provided to show how unfair the current system is. 

Edited by Happy Hockey Fan

HHF

You're correct it is totally different.  The East uses the same system that all schools in the State use - for non-boundary (public) schools.  And that's enrollment.  The numbers are submitted to the PIAA every two years.  It's male (or female) enrollment in grades 9-11 on 10/1 (I believe). So on 10/1/21 teams submit their enrollment numbers to the PIAA.  That's the school's number used for classification for the following two years.  It is meant to reflect your potential pool of athletes.  That's also when teams could change classifications.  All non-boundary (Catholic, Private, Prep, etc.) in the East are in AAA.  The theory being that those schools are comprised of players from all those public schools. 

The last two years the number dividing A and AA in the East was 620.  The line is usually drawn for hockey at a natural break point somewhere around 600.  The smallest AA school in the East is Wm Tennent (633) and the largest A school was Garnet Valley (602) during the last round of enrollments.  So the line was drawn between those two schools.  Norwin's male enrollment number in the last round was 620, so in theory they would have been the largest A school - or the smallest AA school.  West Chester East's number was 522.  The system is not subjective and takes opinion, how good you were last year, etc. out of the equation.

• Like 1