Pittsburgh Predators Tier 1 18U AAA

1 minute ago, YardSale said:

Which part of PAHL AA do you not like?  Is it the fact that all the teams schedule their own independent games instead of having an extended league like BB? 

I don't know how to articulate this with words that don't sound like I'm putting down PAHL, which isn't my intention. I just don't think they have had the leadership that gave anyone confidence that they understood what the market was looking for as it pertains to a higher level of competitiveness, not only on the ice, but everything else that went with it. Again, some players want to play on a team where kids don't skip practice to get ice cream with their GF.  (Could you imagine an esmark player doing that). So just because a kid may not be esmark worthy, they may still want to play with that same commitment level from their coach, team, and player parents. PAHL and AA associations (some, not all) in PAHL have a stigma that missing practices and games for ice cream with your GF is ok. (using that as a sarcastic, but has happened) statement to articulate the stigma. Don't come at me. If it happens at 25% of AA teams in PAHL, it is enough to cause the stigma. And it certainly happens a ton at all other levels at PAHL. 

6 minutes ago, ice is cold said:

I don't know how to articulate this with words that don't sound like I'm putting down PAHL, which isn't my intention. I just don't think they have had the leadership that gave anyone confidence that they understood what the market was looking for as it pertains to a higher level of competitiveness, not only on the ice, but everything else that went with it. Again, some players want to play on a team where kids don't skip practice to get ice cream with their GF.  (Could you imagine an esmark player doing that). So just because a kid may not be esmark worthy, they may still want to play with that same commitment level from their coach, team, and player parents. PAHL and AA associations (some, not all) in PAHL have a stigma that missing practices and games for ice cream with your GF is ok. (using that as a sarcastic, but has happened) statement to articulate the stigma. Don't come at me. If it happens at 25% of AA teams in PAHL, it is enough to cause the stigma. And it certainly happens a ton at all other levels at PAHL. 

Much of that is rectified by knowing the coach coming in to the season. As mentioned earlier, there are some really good coaches in PAHL.  I don’t think that stigma is on PAHL.  That is a coaching issue.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, YardSale said:

Much of that is rectified by knowing the coach coming in to the season. As mentioned earlier, there are some really good coaches in PAHL.  I don’t think that stigma is on PAHL.  That is a coaching issue.

Which would make it an organization in PAHL issue, hence a PAHL issue as the orgs are in PAHL.  😁

2 hours ago, hockeyisgreat said:

Wow, this topic sort of went off the rails.  I just want to know if the Preds are still fielding an 18UAAA team! If not where did all those kids go?

I don't know but I do know there was talk about pulling up some of the 16u AAA players to play, so maybe they ended up with not enough to players

23 hours ago, ice is cold said:

Which would make it an organization in PAHL issue, hence a PAHL issue as the orgs are in PAHL.  😁

So by your comment, would having shitty coaches at AAA ( yes there are many ) make it a AAA issue?

There are some AA coaches at multiple age levels that can run circles around some of the AAA coaches in western PA.  And anyone out there that thinks they are guaranteed great coaching at the AAA level is smoking some really good rope.

Just sayin'

Edited by fafa fohi
  • Like 3

I have said it many times on here for many years, If all the wanna be AAA teams (teams ranked higher than 50 let's say) would play PAHL AA it would be a great league.  Sure the bottom one or two teams would struggle but how many times do you drive 5+ hours and smoke teams in a similar fashion? 

People that think BB's league is an answer are delusional.  Look at the rankings, it is not much better.  It is very much just current low level PAHL but with more travel.  If the Faux AAA teams all played in a local league it would be great.  Then do four or five high level travel tournaments playing other teams ranked 30-120.  It would be great competition.  Sorry, had to chime in and beat a dead horse.  

• Like 4

On 6/14/2023 at 11:00 AM, Carl Racki said:

I have said it many times on here for many years, If all the wanna be AAA teams (teams ranked higher than 50 let's say) would play PAHL AA it would be a great league.  Sure the bottom one or two teams would struggle but how many times do you drive 5+ hours and smoke teams in a similar fashion? 

People that think BB's league is an answer are delusional.  Look at the rankings, it is not much better.  It is very much just current low level PAHL but with more travel.  If the Faux AAA teams all played in a local league it would be great.  Then do four or five high level travel tournaments playing other teams ranked 30-120.  It would be great competition.  Sorry, had to chime in and beat a dead horse.  

Again, who cares what other kids are playing. I’ve found PAHL AA parents are the ones who didn’t make whatever AAA program they are bashing. And don’t act like PAHL AA is a Powerhouse. Every blue moon there is a legitimate good team, but most often they’re just mediocre when put up against other non PAHL teams. 

PIHL is a joke as well, unless you’re in the AAA division. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, hockey57410 said:

Again, who cares what other kids are playing. I’ve found PAHL AA parents are the ones who didn’t make whatever AAA program they are bashing. And don’t act like PAHL AA is a Powerhouse. Every blue moon there is a legitimate good team, but most often they’re just mediocre when put up against other non PAHL teams. 

PIHL is a joke as well, unless you’re in the AAA division. 

Where did anyone here say that PAHL was a powerhouse?

There are plenty of AA level players that could make some of the top AAA teams in western PA.  Not all of them are kids that got cut at AAA tryouts - I have known many that were exceptional players that decided to play AA and not deal with the significant differences in travel and cost or were playing a secondary sport.

And many of those local AA teams that you call mediocre are usually in the top 15 nationally in Tier 2, and most play 20-30+ additional games against non-PAHL nationally ranked teams.

As far as your comment on only AAA in PIHL is legit, maybe you should have a word with some of those AAA coaches that lost to AA teams in past St.  Margaret’s tournaments.

Edited by fafa fohi
  • Like 2

In the Pittsburgh area there are at MOST about 10 good hockey players per birth year.  I mean players that have even the SLIGHTEST chance of playing for free in college/juniors let alone earning a professional pay check.  Everybody else is just playing for fun. If you have fun playing AAA, AA, A, school, rec, then so be it. It makes very little difference what team or organization you play for.  As long as you put in the work the cream is generally going to rise to the top. 

• 100 1

On 6/18/2023 at 11:13 AM, zam said:

In the Pittsburgh area there are at MOST about 10 good hockey players per birth year.  I mean players that have even the SLIGHTEST chance of playing for free in college/juniors let alone earning a professional pay check.  Everybody else is just playing for fun. If you have fun playing AAA, AA, A, school, rec, then so be it. It makes very little difference what team or organization you play for.  As long as you put in the work the cream is generally going to rise to the top. 

10 at each birth year? You're being very generous. 

And it's not only about how much hockey skill someone has. It's as much about commitment, money, and what other interests/opportunities are you okay with giving up for what amounts to basically buying a lottery ticket. Unless you're a Crosby, McDavid, or another player able to blow the doors off everybody including 18-20 year-olds when you're 15. Now think about the AAA, AA, and A Major teams and how-with exceptions for the very best among them, and the teams that are truly at the top- how many of those players are interchangeable at each level and birth year. For anybody else that's a really, really good hockey player, you're not unique. There's a lot of really, really good hockey players and the competition is worldwide. Best to be realistic and prioritize having a good time. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nemesis8679 said:

10 at each birth year? You're being very generous. 

And it's not only about how much hockey skill someone has. It's as much about commitment, money, and what other interests/opportunities are you okay with giving up for what amounts to basically buying a lottery ticket. Unless you're a Crosby, McDavid, or another player able to blow the doors off everybody including 18-20 year-olds when you're 15. Now think about the AAA, AA, and A Major teams and how-with exceptions for the very best among them, and the teams that are truly at the top- how many of those players are interchangeable at each level and birth year. For anybody else that's a really, really good hockey player, you're not unique. There's a lot of really, really good hockey players and the competition is worldwide. Best to be realistic and prioritize having a good time. 

I think 10 is probably a bit generous but pretty close? So what would qualify as a path from Pittsburgh where you aren't paying ANYTHING to play?

USHL
OHL
NCAA D1
Anything else?

Even US Tier II junior leagues like NAHL you're still paying on some level. Not sure about the finances of Canadian Junior A.

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, fafa fohi said:

Has anyone determined if the Preds will have a U18 AAA team this season or not?

Just call Ice Castle and find out. Everyone is so worried about if this place will have a team or that place will have a team. Just call and ask.

4 hours ago, Pucks11 said:

Just call Ice Castle and find out. Everyone is so worried about if this place will have a team or that place will have a team. Just call and ask.

Thanks for the solid - appreciate your help and feedback.

• ROTF 1

4 hours ago, Pucks11 said:

Yeah because the front desk girl will have all the answers. Trying to effectively communicate with someone within the Preds organization is a complete waste of time.

• Like 1
  • ROTF 2
  • 100 1

15 hours ago, forbin said:

Yeah because the front desk girl will have all the answers. Trying to effectively communicate with someone within the Preds organization is a complete waste of time.

15 hours ago, Pucks11 said:

No problem, you would get your answer faster and be able to talk more crap later.

My thought was simply this......there is a really good chance that a parent from this proposed U18 AAA team is a regular reader of this forum and would simply chime in and say "yay" or "nay."

This is where the benefits of having a local hockey forum like this really shine through.  If it makes you feel better I can talk crap now or should I hold off?

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I was looking at the THF showcases today and they have the registered teams listed for each one. Predators 18U AAA are shown to be registered for the Pittsburgh Sept 22-25, Hershey Dec 8-11 and Ann Arbor MLK weekend showcases. Icemen are registered for the same 3 showcases. So, I assume Preds must have an 18U team. No idea who is on it and how they compare to say the Icemen or the Vengeance.

It’s odd. According to the Preds website… they have listings that include the team, coach, level classification, and even have separate tabs for Tier I vs Tier II to help separate all of the organization’s teams from 8U Blue all the way through Tier II U18 AA and Tier I U16 AAA.  
On the Tier I tab, every team/coach/classification is included except for the Tier I 18U AAA. It’s August 11, and without the automatic showcase tournaments inclusion; there is still nothing listed regarding the U18 AAA team. No roster, coaches, schedule (other than the pre-populated pending tournament dates with TBD times and opponents).  There’s no news about anything related to that team. Perhaps there’s still some question marks regarding available  roster spots, coaching vacancies, strength of schedule compared with the current situation? We’re approaching a time where scheduling, coaching/staff clearances and training camp dates/times are usually squared away and start to ramp up. Mid August is when the high-end competitive teams start to get the ball rolling. It’s interesting that every other squad is accounted for except for the eldest team.

• Like 1