So it starts

Just now, hockeyisgreat said:

Agreed, I am one of those old people. I also feel like this is just dragging out the inevitable. This virus is going to be around. Even if they develop a Vaccine that works. How fast can they get it to enough people that I can come out of the house again?  Is life worth living if you are scared of catching the virus?  Something is going to kill me and I'm not trying to speed it up. I just want to go back to enjoying life.  Watching the grandkids play was enjoyment. Now I watch what I can on live Barn. Just not the same.

I hear what you are saying, but it's too early to just give up. Europe got the infection rate down so no reason we can't. We can buy some more time until we get better treatments and better testing or even a vaccine. Perhaps those things will never come, but I think that they will in the near future. I know that people are running out of patience. I understand that. It's hard, but most things that are rewarding are hard to accomplish. Let's not give up so fast. It's only been 5 months. Talk to me in March and I may agree that we just can't go on like this anymore.

4 minutes ago, Quinlan2020 said:

Anyone think we'll see more stories like this considering the real season hasn't even started yet?

https://www.courant.com/coronavirus/hc-news-coronavirus-youth-hockey-virus-spread-20200816-20200816-5jmih7jz4zggnchbxcvy6q35du-story.html

I read the article. Another scare tactic!   How many are some? 2,5,8,10?  shouldn't they get their facts down before they report that "some" players had it?

The way I see it is it's not going to be wiped out by trying to keep kids from playing sports. We all have to know the risks and make our own decisions.

2 minutes ago, Quinlan2020 said:

I hear what you are saying, but it's too early to just give up. Europe got the infection rate down so no reason we can't. We can buy some more time until we get better treatments and better testing or even a vaccine. Perhaps those things will never come, but I think that they will in the near future. I know that people are running out of patience. I understand that. It's hard, but most things that are rewarding are hard to accomplish. Let's not give up so fast. It's only been 5 months. Talk to me in March and I may agree that we just can't go on like this anymore.

God bless you for having the patience to wait a year!  I don't have that kind of patience.  A year might be 10 percent of my life at this point.  Don't want to live it in the house! I haven't been out to eat dinner since March!  No bars! No parties! No Fun.

1 minute ago, hockeyisgreat said:

I read the article. Another scare tactic!   How many are some? 2,5,8,10?  shouldn't they get their facts down before they report that "some" players had it?

The way I see it is it's not going to be wiped out by trying to keep kids from playing sports. We all have to know the risks and make our own decisions.

OK. I know we'll never totally agree on this stuff. I respect that and your point-of-view. You also can't convince people not to be scared. Life will never get back to normal as long as so many people are (perhaps unjustifiably) afraid. They are not going to get over their fears because you tell them to. Less people will be afraid when cases/deaths decrease. We need to find the best plan to make that happen as quickly as possible or you will continue to deal with strict rules about playing sports or any other aspect of life.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Quinlan2020 said:

OK. I know we'll never totally agree on this stuff. I respect that and your point-of-view. You also can't convince people not to be scared. Life will never get back to normal as long as so many people are (perhaps unjustifiably) afraid. They are not going to get over their fears because you tell them to. Less people will be afraid when cases/deaths decrease. We need to find the best plan to make that happen as quickly as possible or you will continue to deal with strict rules about playing sports or any other aspect of life.

I agree, I'm scared. I just want it to be over!  I know it's not going to happen anytime soon and that's I'm sure why I get so frustrated. Especially with the people who look for every negative article so they can point to it and say see I told you we are going to all have to shut down sports and life till we get a vaccine!!!!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, hockeyisgreat said:

What bothers me the most about the article, which as you point out is poorly written, is that it keeps saying "contact sports" are the risk when it looks like everyone who tested was on the same team. Sounds like partying in the hotel or riding a bus together more than the sport itself or why wouldn't other teams have gotten it?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, aaaahockey said:

What bothers me the most about the article, which as you point out is poorly written, is that it keeps saying "contact sports" are the risk when it looks like everyone who tested was on the same team. Sounds like partying in the hotel or riding a bus together more than the sport itself or why wouldn't other teams have gotten it?

Great points. I didn't even think of that when I read it.

23 minutes ago, aaaahockey said:

I hope they stick to their guns. 

They don't need any guns. Governor said they can do what they want. Everything could work out well or they could end up on the wrong side of history. I think it's about a 50% chance of going either way. They just need to be willing to face the music if things turn out bad. That may include law suits if an outbreak gets traced to a sports program.

Danner wrong other rinks coaches and players.

Heard 05 Goalie was at goalie camp.

We all know who the top goalie coach is In Pittsburgh was his camp.

Hearing AD’s at WPIAL Schools covering up so there football this fall.

CV had 10 football players testing positive you heard nothing.

If your school is going back PA guidelines so many kids test positive that school has to close and back to virtual learning.

I heard the magic number is  5 or more from a local Principal.

7 minutes ago, dazedandconfused said:

Peter the Puck, you suck.

You have to be the world's biggest downer ever.

That's true if Peter the Puck is making that stuff up. I am leaning toward thinking that it may be false info considering how poorly worded the post was. It would be disappointing but somewhat predictable if CV (or any other school) would try to cover up positive Covid-19 tests. I have heard a few stories of things like this happening in other organizations. None of them have been proven to be true so just rumors. I won't mention any of these organizations until the rumors are proven to be fact. I heard from a kid that the mask policy isn't really being enforced at one rink. They just wear them when they enter and take them off as they head to the locker room and swap germs in there before practice.

13 minutes ago, Quinlan2020 said:

That's true if Peter the Puck is making that stuff up. I am leaning toward thinking that it may be false info considering how poorly worded the post was. It would be disappointing but somewhat predictable if CV (or any other school) would try to cover up positive Covid-19 tests. I have heard a few stories of things like this happening in other organizations. None of them have been proven to be true so just rumors. I won't mention any of these organizations until the rumors are proven to be fact. I heard from a kid that the mask policy isn't really being enforced at one rink. They just wear them when they enter and take them off as they head to the locker room and swap germs in there before practice.

When my oldest was skating with friends when some rinks opened, that’s how it was. There have been people that comment and told me the predators tryouts had parents packed in watching and some had no masks. King Ralph from what I’ve been told has cracked down on the parents 

5 hours ago, PeterThePuck said:

Danner wrong other rinks coaches and players.

Heard 05 Goalie was at goalie camp.

We all know who the top goalie coach is In Pittsburgh was his camp.

Hearing AD’s at WPIAL Schools covering up so there football this fall.

CV had 10 football players testing positive you heard nothing.

If your school is going back PA guidelines so many kids test positive that school has to close and back to virtual learning.

I heard the magic number is  5 or more from a local Principal.

I do not understand the statement in your first sentence.

we have discussed the 05 goalie, everyone understands the truth behind this. Now you are bringing up camps ? 

I to have also heard AD’s have shut down some pihl programs waiting on piaa. It seems to very from school to school, I would highly doubt a school employee is cover up for a football program, this is where you show that your true colors as a disgruntled hockey parent with some sort of axe to grind. 

I have admitted I really do not know much about youth or HS football, I don’t have many friends or contacts involved in the sport. Your comment about 10 CV football players is most likely not credible due to stretching the truth in other posts. 

both my kids are out of high school now, I know nothing about opening or closing plans for western pa high schools. 

@PeterThePuck what you do is hear a rumor -  Sometime it has some truth but you turn it upside down to fit whatever narrative you are going after. I was accused as the doomsayer when covid started. I still feel everything is going to be shut down when it comes to youth sports. For the sake of the kids I hope I am wrong but try to stick to the facts even if it’s a rumor. 

If numerous kids tested positive for Covid, they would be contacted by the local health department and asked to contact trace.  Unless someone is suggesting the AD told them to lie to the health department (which I find very hard to believe and would open everyone involved up to much more liability than just taking a two week pause for a team) I don't see much of a "cover up" going on. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, aaaahockey said:

If numerous kids tested positive for Covid, they would be contacted by the local health department and asked to contact trace.  Unless someone is suggesting the AD told them to lie to the health department (which I find very hard to believe and would open everyone involved up to much more liability than just taking a two week pause for a team) I don't see much of a "cover up" going on. 

I agree. I could see coaches just telling kids/parents to just lay low and not come to practice if feeling sick because testing positive could get their program shut down. These kids may never get tested but still have it. I doubt this situation would be common but it probably goes on a little. Also...Contact tracing isn't that reliable. There have been various news reports of people not cooperating with contact tracers. Some reports say that half the people won't give up locations/contacts. Obviously, these tactics won't work if there is a major outbreak, but it could be keeping these small clusters of 2 - 4 people from reaching the news. The problem is that these 2 - 4 people could be spreading to the community and never be traced back to the source.

52 minutes ago, Quinlan2020 said:

I agree. I could see coaches just telling kids/parents to just lay low and not come to practice if feeling sick because testing positive could get their program shut down. These kids may never get tested but still have it. I doubt this situation would be common but it probably goes on a little. Also...Contact tracing isn't that reliable. There have been various news reports of people not cooperating with contact tracers. Some reports say that half the people won't give up locations/contacts. Obviously, these tactics won't work if there is a major outbreak, but it could be keeping these small clusters of 2 - 4 people from reaching the news. The problem is that these 2 - 4 people could be spreading to the community and never be traced back to the source.

Last time I checked this was the USA not CHINA. People in the USA value their freedom and ability to move around as they please even if sometimes it means not having as much control over this virus. Don't you think by now everyone understands the risks involved with sports, and life in general? I know you will come back with the argument that kids are going to unknowingly give it to old people.  That's where the old people maybe should assume that everyone has it.  Especially if they are high risk. I made a decision to be around my grandkids knowing they are taking more risks.  It's a personal choice. That's why I like the USA. I'm free to make it.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, hockeyisgreat said:

Last time I checked this was the USA not CHINA. People in the USA value their freedom and ability to move around as they please even if sometimes it means not having as much control over this virus. Don't you think by now everyone understands the risks involved with sports, and life in general? I know you will come back with the argument that kids are going to unknowingly give it to old people.  That's where the old people maybe should assume that everyone has it.  Especially if they are high risk. I made a decision to be around my grandkids knowing they are taking more risks.  It's a personal choice. That's why I like the USA. I'm free to make it.

No they don't understand the risks.  If they did, they wouldn't sue because they stuck a knife in the toaster and electrocuted themselves, or spilled their hot coffee on themselves in the McDonalds drive through, and the don't understand the difference between walking past someone with Covid in the grocery store vs. sitting near them in restaurant for an hour and a half.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, carroll81 said:

No they don't understand the risks.  If they did, they wouldn't sue because they stuck a knife in the toaster and electrocuted themselves, or spilled their hot coffee on themselves in the McDonalds drive through, and the don't understand the difference between walking past someone with Covid in the grocery store vs. sitting near them in restaurant for an hour and a half.

You are right and that's probably why I get so mad. I can't figure out what a rink would be liable for if a person thought they got covid there. How could they prove it?  Anyway as you stated people sue for a lot less. Sad world we live in.