So it starts

16 minutes ago, hockeyisgreat said:

You are right and that's probably why I get so mad. I can't figure out what a rink would be liable for if a person thought they got covid there. How could they prove it?  Anyway as you stated people sue for a lot less. Sad world we live in.

I've wondered that as well.  How can anyone prove where they get covid to the extent that a place would be liable? 

• Like 1

Just curious if anyone watched the PIAA Hearing today with the State GOP.  It was Live on FB.  Things that I took from the hearing.  1. State department of health was encouraged and invited to be part of the hearing.....they declined.  2. Testing was done during the summer on 10,389 student athletes, 1 athlete, that is not a typo, 1 athlete in the testing group out of 10,389 tested positive....that's .0096 percent according to the PIAA.  3.  PIAA is in agreement with family being able to attend fall athletics with guidelines.  Feel free to watch, its on the Let Them Play FB page.  

2 hours ago, carroll81 said:

No they don't understand the risks.  If they did, they wouldn't sue because they stuck a knife in the toaster and electrocuted themselves, or spilled their hot coffee on themselves in the McDonalds drive through, and the don't understand the difference between walking past someone with Covid in the grocery store vs. sitting near them in restaurant for an hour and a half.

If you think it’s too dangerous, don’t do it ??‍♂️ 

3 hours ago, hockeyisgreat said:

Last time I checked this was the USA not CHINA. People in the USA value their freedom and ability to move around as they please even if sometimes it means not having as much control over this virus. Don't you think by now everyone understands the risks involved with sports, and life in general? I know you will come back with the argument that kids are going to unknowingly give it to old people.  That's where the old people maybe should assume that everyone has it.  Especially if they are high risk. I made a decision to be around my grandkids knowing they are taking more risks.  It's a personal choice. That's why I like the USA. I'm free to make it.

And this, folks, is the problem. Selfishness. It permeates the lives of these "freedom fighters" in many aspects of life, so why would a pandemic be any different. 

They didn't learn when the government let the bars and restaurants reopen to their demand, only to not follow guidelines and wind up in they same place we were. Hopefully the lesson was learned by the majority. 

If sports get stopped, this attitude is the reason. 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, nemesis8679 said:

And this, folks, is the problem. Selfishness. It permeates the lives of these "freedom fighters" in many aspects of life, so why would a pandemic be any different. 

They didn't learn when the government let the bars and restaurants reopen to their demand, only to not follow guidelines and wind up in they same place we were. Hopefully the lesson was learned by the majority. 

If sports get stopped, this attitude is the reason. 

Looks like the lesson was learned by the fact that the numbers are coming down now. Hardly Selfishness on my part. The only selfishness is that I appreciate the fact that I am free to make my own choices. To listen to the facts and make a rational reasonable decision. I'm hardly a "freedom fighter" but I do like to listen to all sides. Haven't been to a bar or restaurant. I assume the people that did go knew the risks. It's called freedom to chose.  Take it away and I might as well live in China or Russia. NO THANKS.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, hockeyisgreat said:

Last time I checked this was the USA not CHINA. People in the USA value their freedom and ability to move around as they please even if sometimes it means not having as much control over this virus. Don't you think by now everyone understands the risks involved with sports, and life in general? I know you will come back with the argument that kids are going to unknowingly give it to old people.  That's where the old people maybe should assume that everyone has it.  Especially if they are high risk. I made a decision to be around my grandkids knowing they are taking more risks.  It's a personal choice. That's why I like the USA. I'm free to make it.

My main argument is that we all want to live life as normal as possible. Your life and my life will not be that way until the virus is under control. We were getting to a better place (at least in Western PA) back in Mid-June. Then came the Green Phase. It was downhill from there because bars opened & people decided that partying was OK again. We wouldn't be having much of a debate about schools & sports now if the Green Phase had not gone so poorly. Things are getting better now, but still not great. It's very tenuous as we try to open schools and anticipate more indoor gatherings when the weather turns cold. It seems that youth sports are not much of a source for an outbreak originating, but could serve as a vector for more transmission as long as there is significant community spread. Most experts say that there is too much community spread until the test positivity rate is below 5% for a two week period. A little more hard work should get us below that number. Things seem to be moving in that direction and possibly get us there if the school re-openings go smoothly. Do I think that they will go smoothly? Probably not, but I am a pessimist. You want to jump in right now. I understand the impatience, It just seems like a case of pay now or pay more later. I would rather pay now. Obviously many people disagree as they have running credit card balances at a 20% interest rate,

1 hour ago, hockeyisgreat said:

Looks like the lesson was learned by the fact that the numbers are coming down now. Hardly Selfishness on my part. The only selfishness is that I appreciate the fact that I am free to make my own choices. To listen to the facts and make a rational reasonable decision. I'm hardly a "freedom fighter" but I do like to listen to all sides. Haven't been to a bar or restaurant. I assume the people that did go knew the risks. It's called freedom to chose.  Take it away and I might as well live in China or Russia. NO THANKS.

Do you think that they knew that their behavior was going to cause your kids to not be able to play hockey right now?

10 minutes ago, aaaahockey said:

I've still not heard any kids not playing hockey right now. What am I missing?  

Do you mean any organization that decided not to play? I have not heard of any local organization/team changing their plans, but participation is down. Last I heard it was down about 20% for one major organization. I am curious to know the exact numbers. I wish I had inside info on how many parents have decided to opt out.

The organization my son plays for is at about 75% registration as last year. I am assuming most organizations are around that number. Sucks for the growth of the sport in this area, but on a somewhat selfish note, it MAY be a slight positive in terms of open ice availability....

3 hours ago, Danner27 said:

A handful of jv/varsity programs got put on hold this week by school AD’s. 

Names of the schools put on hold (other than South Fayette varsity that took a two week precautionary break)?

I know a few south hills organizations had the largest numbers for tryouts at certain age groups they have had in a long time. I guess I can't speak across the board for all their ages but I know several had larger than usual numbers and had to make lots of cuts at the bantam and peewee levels. 

43 minutes ago, aaaahockey said:

Names of the schools put on hold (other than South Fayette varsity that took a two week precautionary break)?

I know a few south hills organizations had the largest numbers for tryouts at certain age groups they have had in a long time. I guess I can't speak across the board for all their ages but I know several had larger than usual numbers and had to make lots of cuts at the bantam and peewee levels. 

I was told that those Bantam cuts were made because they didn't have enough for the same amount of teams as they had last year. There were 5 or 6 players that were the odd men out.

4 hours ago, aaaahockey said:

This is true for the organization my kids play in. Our registration rate is nearly identical to last season.

3 hours ago, Quinlan2020 said:

I was told that those Bantam cuts were made because they didn't have enough for the same amount of teams as they had last year. There were 5 or 6 players that were the odd men out.

Not from the folks I have spoken to. I'm not on a board so everything I say is anecdotal but people seem to think Mt. Lebanon, Rink Rats, SHAHA, and Preds numbers are up from everyone I've spoken with.  

6 minutes ago, Guru said:

I’ve been told by a member of the board one of the Class AA PIHL Programs that their AD has advised that their principals will likely not sign not sign rosters until in person classes resume

Not sure I understand that logic if the school is playing other sports! Sounds like a law suit to me.  School is school whether it is online or in person. I'm not saying it's the same education but the days are counting the same.

1 hour ago, PeterThePuck said:

As of today Quaker Valley and Freedom have shut down sports and quarantine.

This is what we will see all fall and winter.

It will come down to what team is healthy no virus looking to play a team in the same position.

You can’t rely on your schedule this year.

So it should just all be shut down until when?  I ask again what will be different on January 1st 2021. The virus will still be around.

29 minutes ago, PeterThePuck said:

A teenager symptoms are a mild headache or head cold last a couple days and low temperature nothing serious.

But when they come home the whole family gets it the question is do you have any health problems.

I understand what you are saying but what is the answer?  Shut down till when?  Do you think this virus will ever be eliminated?   At some point we are all going to have to live with the risk.  If I did have any health problems and I knew my grandkids were  involved in risky activities I would social distance and wear a mask around them.  Wouldn't expect them not to play sports or go to school.

46 minutes ago, hockeyisgreat said:

Not sure I understand that logic if the school is playing other sports! Sounds like a law suit to me.  School is school whether it is online or in person. I'm not saying it's the same education but the days are counting the same.

Because they can’t validate student is meeting attendance requirements  This district has paused club activities: hockey is NOT governed  under PIAA,  In some districts it is a CLUB others as a non school sanctioned function 

as a former PIHL registrar, I will share that there are  very specific rules regarding  rosters (to ensure players are actually eligible) And the principal or his/her designee is attesting to the player attending classes (whether virtually or physically) in their district and meets eligibility requirements as designated by their district to participate when they sign off on the roster

1 hour ago, Guru said:

I’ve been told by a member of the board one of the Class AA PIHL Programs that their AD has advised that their principals will likely not sign not sign rosters until in person classes resume

Heard something similar from friends with kids at other schools, but it was the school board not the principals. Some school hockey programs get money from the school board, It appears these are the few schools that are shutting down Their hockey programs. I am  trying to keep politics out this but here comes the BUT - these few schools and their boards are considered very liberal by the people in their communities. 

59 minutes ago, Danner27 said:

Heard something similar from friends with kids at other schools, but it was the school board not the principals. Some school hockey programs get money from the school board, It appears these are the few schools that are shutting down Their hockey programs. I am  trying to keep politics out this but here comes the BUT - these few schools and their boards are considered very liberal by the people in their communities. 

Wow I'm so confused. I can understand if a school or PIAA shut down all fall sports. It sounds like you folks are saying that they will shut down only hockey.  Doesn't make sense as at best the hockey program gets a small amount of money from the school.  Am I missing the ulterior motive?