WPA ACHA College Club Hockey

13 hours ago, dazedandconfused said:

Right, and that's fantastic. However, the skepticism here is still very high that any USHL teams was recruiting this player who would be coming in as 20 year.

Very, very high. Same for NAHL.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/hsother/2019/02/08/Jamie-Mauro-record-setting-hockey-season-Slippery-Rock-Franklin-Regional-Dave-Grimm/stories/201902060081

Read the last Paragraph Copernicus ...........Pretty Good for a 19 yo to lead the Nation in ACHA College Hockey in scoring and SRU was ranked in top 25 as well 

Edited by Pa Hockey

2 hours ago, Icebucket said:

We all get that he had a good season, and great for him. But it's most certainly not a position any USHL team would even consider exploring.

Never say Never................Mike Sargo who scored over 300 points at WVU, 100 Goals in Class AAA at Gateway and is in the ACHA Hall of Fame was given an opportunity to skate with AHL Wilke Barre Scranton Penguins .............kids that do exceptional things get opportunity against the norm ..............It happened ! 

15 hours ago, Pa Hockey said:

Never say Never................Mike Sargo who scored over 300 points at WVU, 100 Goals in Class AAA at Gateway and is in the ACHA Hall of Fame was given an opportunity to skate with AHL Wilke Barre Scranton Penguins .............kids that do exceptional things get opportunity against the norm ..............It happened ! 

He had some unbelievable stats (averaging 5 goals a game his senior year?!) in high school and really good numbers in ACHA, and seems to be a good guy. Yet, dude still didn't get further than an AHL training camp. 

Further proof that little Johnny averaging a PPG in PAHL AA or the local faux-AAA team should just be concentrating on having a good time playing with his friends while it lasts. 

Another echo of my point about Pitt and IUP Nationally. Pitt got swept by Davenport and IUP split with Delaware. Both are in the 12 -25 Wannabee Category and frankly are where they are in the rankings. Pitt will likely drop from their 12th position. IUP doesn't deserve to be in top 20.  

6 hours ago, nemesis8679 said:

He had some unbelievable stats (averaging 5 goals a game his senior year?!) in high school and really good numbers in ACHA, and seems to be a good guy. Yet, dude still didn't get further than an AHL training camp. 

Further proof that little Johnny averaging a PPG in PAHL AA or the local faux-AAA team should just be concentrating on having a good time playing with his friends while it lasts. 

Your larger point is correct but the hockey environment was very different back then.  I don't think you can take any player stats from that era and compare it to what someone is doing today.  Also even local kids who made the NHL didn't have those high school stats. There is a lot of context missing from that in a bubble. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, aaaahockey said:

Your larger point is correct but the hockey environment was very different back then.  I don't think you can take any player stats from that era and compare it to what someone is doing today.  Also even local kids who made the NHL didn't have those high school stats. There is a lot of context missing from that in a bubble. 

Umberger and Zeiler (Both NHLers) both had around 100 points in HS Season in the same era, but 100 Goals was unreal and the great thing is the powers to be kept Sargo off Team Pittsburgh, which is an absolute joke! 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, aaaahockey said:

I agree with this.  The scores of WPIHL and SHIHL games were all over the place. ACHA was the same. Mike was a fantastic goal scorer but there were some better all around players from here at that time. 

1 hour ago, Pa Hockey said:

Another echo of my point about Pitt and IUP Nationally. Pitt got swept by Davenport and IUP split with Delaware. Both are in the 12 -25 Wannabee Category and frankly are where they are in the rankings. Pitt will likely drop from their 12th position. IUP doesn't deserve to be in top 20.  

Davenport and Delaware imo are not even in that 12-25 crowd. They are 30 and below - Look like everyone else tier. Delaware appears to have pretty weak goaltending. The coaches top 25 rankings that came out last week I posted didn’t have one chma team in it. 

I just watched part of the iup stream that’s still up. How many coaches do they have now? looked like 5 or 6 guys on the bench at one point. I just read who the team manger is (last year anyway) - is this guy still the president of the armstrong’s pihl & Pahl programs? He fits perfect with the party school ranking. The 30 minutes I watched was pretty bad hockey on both sides.

Edited by Danner27

21 minutes ago, Danner27 said:

Davenport and Delaware imo are not even in that 12-25 crowd. They are 30 and below - Look like everyone else tier. Delaware appears to have pretty weak goaltending. The coaches top 25 rankings that came out last week I posted didn’t have one chma team in it. 

I just watched part of the iup stream that’s still up. How many coaches do they have now? looked like 5 or 6 guys on the bench at one point. I just read who the team manger is (last year anyway) - is this guy still the president of the armstrong’s pihl & Pahl programs? He fits perfect with the party school ranking. The 30 minutes I watched was pretty bad hockey on both sides.

Danner, 

IUP has a pretty good program and they should win the CHMA again. Pitt has a pretty good Program and will compete for the league title again. My point is they are top 10 Wannabees.

It's all about recruiting locally and regionally as putting a solid group together of 26-27. SRU was well on their way until that got derailed, but the best these local schools can hope for is top 15 National Ranking based on their current model and schedule . 

8 hours ago, Pa Hockey said:

Danner, 

IUP has a pretty good program and they should win the CHMA again. Pitt has a pretty good Program and will compete for the league title again. My point is they are top 10 Wannabees.

It's all about recruiting locally and regionally as putting a solid group together of 26-27. SRU was well on their way until that got derailed, but the best these local schools can hope for is top 15 National Ranking based on their current model and schedule . 

What is the team average GPA and what are the jobs graduates are now in, that is the only stats that will matter after their 4 years 🤷😁

• Like 5
  • Fist Bump 1

On 10/23/2023 at 3:05 PM, Happy Hockey Fan said:

Anybody else having trouble with the ACHA website? I have been having issues accessing the site for a couple weeks. 

Works a lot better on the computer than on the phone. They did some update over the summer and messed up the mobile site

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/1/2023 at 1:04 AM, Danner27 said:

Yes,  there was partying when I was there many moons ago but this is not something to be proud of. Between race riots, drugs, terrible acedmic rankings, kids dying etc wtf is going on? Number 1 party school in the country - bottom 25% for acedmics. Extremely dissapointing. 

https://www.wpxi.com/news/local/indiana-university-pennsylvania-ranked-no-1-party-school-by-national-publication/VPAH77BYCNBTJLXHXHDIBLFRJM/?utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR2skrbOeJ5zDmuQYDSldHkelQzzuhUuLbDnRmbQKr-i4qt_NQO9Ep3kTUc_aem_AeYaoFzc7hUkCiut5zgah0nqaNvBeVt9jdol0VGfT4Fuk6UeL4vU-RRXFIZu3bAR3wg&mibextid=Zxz2cZ

It appears both hockey teams partied to much this week. Both with embarrassing losses to bad teams this weekend. 

The hits keep coming in Indiana smfh - shots fired on Philadelphia St. Possible dead student. don’t know what’s accurate yet. IUP Just had people killed at a home coming party recently. Race riot again last weekend. So dissapointed in my Alma. Don’t send your kids there. That entire town needs an enema at this point, same goes for the school president & admin. 

Edited by Danner27

On 12/15/2023 at 10:00 AM, hockeyisgreat said:

Bummer!  What's the major cause of all this?  Did the requirements to get in go down?  Do they accept anyone?  What's it going to take to get them back on the right path?  Has anyone heard any more about Slippery Rock trying to bring back their ACHA program?

Not to be rude, but I'm not sure IUP's requirements could go down any further. A long time ago (15+ years ago), I had a conversation with IUP's coach about how he'd get a kid to apply the week before classes start and he'd get in. With the declining enrollment at IUP, I doubt the standards have increased.

• 100 1