USA Hockey Nationals start today!

8 minutes ago, Icebucket said:

That Allegheny u18 team should have a legitimate shot at winning being placed at 2A.

Are teams placed based on season performance?  I always thought it was based on organization size.  

2 minutes ago, YardSale said:

Are teams placed based on season performance?  I always thought it was based on organization size.  

Typically our region is only ever 3A, but they only got in because they are hosting so not sure how that works

• Like 1

Armstrong 18U is 3A. They start at 5:00PM Pittsburgh Ice Arena.  Tough first game but they should be in contention for a championship.  They have a very solid team!  Allegheny 18uAA is the host team so they had an automatic bid. they can play with the teams in 2A.  Down 4-3 to start the 3rd period

6 hours ago, Icebucket said:

Typically our region is only ever 3A, but they only got in because they are hosting so not sure how that works

Tier 2 is a joke in my opinion.  Missing most of the top teams , teams get in because they are hosts,.....Their is better competition at a lot of the bigger tournaments throughout the season than tier 2 nationals.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Carl Racki said:

Tier 2 is a joke in my opinion.  Missing most of the top teams , teams get in because they are hosts,.....Their is better competition at a lot of the bigger tournaments throughout the season than tier 2 nationals.

U18 Tier 2, 3A has the strongest teams by far - Cheektowaga, West Dundee, Armstrong, Chesterfield.  

U18 Allegheny Ind. gets a "host" spot in 2A?  If they are hosting natty's, give them a one game bye in Mid-ams.  But a guaranteed spot in natty's?  Hell nah.

Scores from Wednesday for U18 - Armstrong lost 2-1 and Allegheny lost 7-4.

Edited by fafa fohi

17 hours ago, fafa fohi said:

Scores from Wednesday for U18 - Armstrong lost 2-1

Armstrong and Cheektowaga combined for 89 penalty minutes yesterday. Disappointing for a game between two top 8 teams in the country.

• Holy Moly 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, RegDunlop7 said:

Armstrong and Cheektowaga combined for 89 penalty minutes yesterday. Disappointing for a game between two top 8 teams in the country.

Welcome to the world where refs can pass out 10s like Oprah. Luckily they don't use fair play points at nationals 

• 100 1

33 minutes ago, Icebucket said:

Welcome to the world where refs can pass out 10s like Oprah. Luckily they don't use fair play points at nationals 

Welcome to AA hockey. Don't blame the refs. This is everywhere across AA.

3 hours ago, Pucks11 said:

Welcome to AA hockey. Don't blame the refs. This is everywhere across AA.

I actually thought the reffing at WPA states was really good.  From the games I watched, they let the teams play.

13 minutes ago, YardSale said:

I actually thought the reffing at WPA states was really good.  From the games I watched, they let the teams play.

It actually was very good. I know the refs don't like doing the 4 man system, but it did lead to significantly better officiating 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Icebucket said:

It actually was very good. I know the refs don't like doing the 4 man system, but it did lead to significantly better officiating 

What ref doesn't like the 4 man system?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Icebucket said:

They all complain about how boring it is. It ends up being a lot more standing around 

I hate that system because it is never used around here until midams. I think the refs take a couple of games to get used to it and actually miss more than the two person system, and it just adds more bodies on the ice to get around.

• 100 1

2 hours ago, Saucey said:

I hate that system because it is never used around here until midams. I think the refs take a couple of games to get used to it and actually miss more than the two person system, and it just adds more bodies on the ice to get around.

Not used during the regular season at any youth level?  Not even T1 midgets?

2 hours ago, carroll81 said:

Not used during the regular season at any youth level?  Not even T1 midgets?

T1 midget clubs can choose what they want, but pretty much all use 3 man.

I think 3 man is the way to go, assuming the guy wearing the bands is competent. Problem with 4 man is if the two refs aren't on the same page you can get the game called differently on each side of the ice 

6 hours ago, Pucks11 said:

Not one!

Pa Hockey, no worries. Pucks11 has developed a sound strategy to develop a national bound tier 1 team that will regularly bring home national championships for Western PA. You can read all about it in the “You might be a delusional hockey parent” thread. 

1 hour ago, hockeydadx3 said:

Pa Hockey, no worries. Pucks11 has developed a sound strategy to develop a national bound tier 1 team that will regularly bring home national championships for Western PA. You can read all about it in the “You might be a delusional hockey parent” thread. 

Yep, because those 2 Pittsburgh kids you lost to yesterday sure do suck or maybe the one at Shattuck or even the goalie on Gilmours prep team that beat the 18u Pens this year or the 3 that were at BK this year. Just naming a few. 4 of them left Pens on their own and the other 3 never wanted to play there even though they were asked to every year. Those 2 goalies alone makes my leftovers team better.

But it's Pens Elite or NOTHING arrrrrrrrg!

Edited by Pucks11

1 hour ago, Pucks11 said:

Yep, because those 2 Pittsburgh kids you lost to yesterday sure do suck or maybe the one at Shattuck or even the goalie on Gilmours prep team that beat the 18u Pens this year or the 3 that were at BK this year. Just naming a few. 4 of them left Pens on their own and the other 3 never wanted to play there even though they were asked to every year. Those 2 goalies alone makes my leftovers team better.

But it's Pens Elite or NOTHING arrrrrrrrg!

Pucks11 is correct. Not every good player plays or even wants to play at Pens. Between not being in the club, wanting to keep playing with friends, not wanting to deal with NC or excel, not wanting/able to pay that much money, being overlooked, there's lots of reasons that not every kid plays there. And reasons maybe they aren't at whatever other orgs, too. Is what it is.

People sure do know how to take this all too seriously and suck the fun out of the game. 

• 100 1
  • Fist Bump 1

14 hours ago, nemesis8679 said:

Pucks11 is correct. Not every good player plays or even wants to play at Pens. Between not being in the club, wanting to keep playing with friends, not wanting to deal with NC or excel, not wanting/able to pay that much money, being overlooked, there's lots of reasons that not every kid plays there. And reasons maybe they aren't at whatever other orgs, too. Is what it is.

People sure do know how to take this all too seriously and suck the fun out of the game. 

Agree, lots of top players that could make the Pens roster that are from Pittsburgh  choose to not play there for different reasons.  Some because they don't want to spend the money on Excel, North Catholic,....  Not sure what the total cost would be for a year with everything including travel costs but would guess around $30,000.  It is a great program with good coaches but costs a lot of money. 

Look at their 2007 birth year team.  They lost a lot of their top players for that reason. Not bottom players.   They are still a great team.  If you take away the top 3-5 players there is not much difference between the rest and top AA players.  I have seen this for years. Believe me.  Mommy's and Daddy's that are spending lots of money don't want to believe that though.  It is a great program but does cost a lot of money. 

If you could get the next best group of 15-17 kids in Western PA all on the same team I think they would usually be competitive with great coaching.  The problem is it is tough to find parents of all the top players that are crazy enough to drive past 5 rinks to build a team like that.  Most people that crazy are willing to remortgage their house to play Pens, Prep,....

Some teams have done it.  2006 SHAHA team, 2008 Vengeance team.   

• Like 1