U18 National Team

5 minutes ago, hockeyisgreat said:

Care to tell us who those 2 are without us having to look them up?  Are they both Pens Elite 18U last year?

Thanks in advance!

Christian Humphreys and LJ Mooney.  Both played with the USNTDP this past year.  Mooney (2007) started the year w/ the U17s.  Now playing up a BY with mostly 06s on the U18 team.  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, hockeyisgreat said:

Care to tell us who those 2 are without us having to look them up?  Are they both Pens Elite 18U last year?

Thanks in advance!

The best kids don't stick around for Pens at 18U. Mooney played up through 16U.  Humphries last played for Pens when he was 13 then went to prep school I believe. 

• 100 1

The best kids don't stick around anywhere for 18u. The best kids are playing USHL, OHL, NTDP at 16u and certainly by 17u.  And i'd guess a good number of the "next best" kids are playing some other Junior League by 18u as well. 

• Like 1
  • 100 1

2 hours ago, dazedandconfused said:

Well how about that? 2 Pittsburgh players on this team and yet the nay-sayers on here still bash local hockey.

Seems it's mostly disappointment of their own that they are displaying.

Local hockey organizations did little to contribute. Or at least, there's more to the story than local hockey.

Edited by nemesis8679

10 hours ago, aaaahockey said:

The best kids don't stick around for Pens at 18U. Mooney played up through 16U.  Humphries last played for Pens when he was 13 then went to prep school I believe. 

Bishop Kearney

Humphreys left the pens because his brother was cut if I recall - we are getting past the birth years I know much about these days. The mom ran the pens sled or special needs team, don’t recall which. Parent’s got pissed and sent their kids off to prep school. Probabaly the correct decision for the better kid even though it was made with emotion. 

All of us old timers know who the Mooney familay is - who they are related to. Never saw the kid play, couldn’t tell you how good he is. 

8 minutes ago, Danner27 said:

All of us old timers know who the Mooney familay is - who they are related to. Never saw the kid play, couldn’t tell you how good he is. 

He's excellent. Probably one of the only kids the pens can actually take credit for.  

7 hours ago, nemesis8679 said:

He's right, and the family knows how to hype the kid.

Sometimes it's hard to keep up with all the many wisdoms this forum provides. So far it's generally understood that,  

Good players leave PPE but we should credit the players' success to the team they left for. 

Good players come from elsewhere to PPE but credit should go to the organization they came from.

The new one I got to wrap my head around, 

Good players start at PPE and stay there but we should credit the father's training and hype. 

Any others I'm missing?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, zam said:

Sometimes it's hard to keep up with all the many wisdoms this forum provides. So far it's generally understood that,  

Good players leave PPE but we should credit the players' success to the team they left for. 

Good players come from elsewhere to PPE but credit should go to the organization they came from.

The new one I got to wrap my head around, 

Good players start at PPE and stay there but we should credit the father's training and hype. 

Any others I'm missing?

I think it's a little more nuanced than that.  I would give pens credit for a players development if they played both 14u and 16u years there.  These are the most important.  I wouldn't give them credit for a 12 year old who leaves for prep school. That seems a little silly.  I also don't give them credit for someone they import for the 16u team for a year who then immediately leaves to play juniors.  The hard fact is there are very very few pens players who start young and stay in the program through 16u and are successful.  As a matter of fact, and speaking to their own development model, not a lot of kids develop to even make the 16u team (or maybe they are leaving due to all the extra requirements/money like excel north catholic etc.).  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, zam said:

start at PPE and stay there but we should credit the father's training and hype. 

That's correct.

Because he was far and away that much better than everyone else at 07 when he got to PPE because of the dad.

This preceded the Elite Mites (still love that) and Jon was the Coach and the kid was playing for the 06 team.

Maybe we could give a little credit to the kids themselves for taking some natural talent and adding in a bunch of hard work and dedication. And the team or organization where they played or trained only played a small part.

I'm pretty sure if Mooney adopted any of our kids years ago and sprinkled his magic training on them, they still wouldn't be representing the USA at world championships. 

• Like 2
  • 100 1

2 hours ago, aaaahockey said:

I think it's a little more nuanced than that.  I would give pens credit for a players development if they played both 14u and 16u years there.  These are the most important.  I wouldn't give them credit for a 12 year old who leaves for prep school. That seems a little silly.  I also don't give them credit for someone they import for the 16u team for a year who then immediately leaves to play juniors.  The hard fact is there are very very few pens players who start young and stay in the program through 16u and are successful.  As a matter of fact, and speaking to their own development model, not a lot of kids develop to even make the 16u team (or maybe they are leaving due to all the extra requirements/money like excel north catholic etc.).  

I think I found 1 player that fits your criteria! 

From Western PA
Played,PPE 14U,15U,16U,
Invited to NTDP tryout 
Drafted USHL
Boston University Commit
Drafted 3rd round NHL

Who gets the credit?

39 minutes ago, zam said:

From Western PA
Played,PPE 14U,15U,16U,
Invited to NTDP tryout 
Drafted USHL
Boston University Commit
Drafted 3rd round NHL

Who gets the credit?

How about we give credit to the kid. I don’t think any coach or program deserves all the credit for any player advancing. Talent has to be there. Kid has to want it and work hard. Coaches can’t do anything about either of those criteria. Yes coaches can and do influence how players advance, but without talent and dedication to hard work, kids aren’t going anywhere. 

• 100 1

5 hours ago, zam said:

From Western PA
Played,PPE 14U,15U,16U,
Invited to NTDP tryout 
Drafted USHL
Boston University Commit
Drafted 3rd round NHL

Who gets the credit?

I'd say that is a success! Now - how many people pay how many dollars to have a success rate that you can find one person?  Serious question.  If you are being sold this is the premier program and the way to make it to the big leagues and dumping 40K per year on it when we include excel + NC, is it worth is?  I'm not even doubting its the best program in the area.    

• Like 1

23 hours ago, dazedandconfused said:

Not!! Just like his cousin, it's 90% Jon Sr. and his training methods.

I’d love to know a little bit more about Jon Sr’s training methods. I don’t know any details, but it seems to me that he’s obviously doing something right.

If anyone that has any information that they’d be willing to share privately and confidentially (i.e. written plan, home exercise program, nutritional assessment and any supplements, seasonal/time of the year protocols, etc) please feel free to DM me.

There’s a ton of newer sport-specific training methods centered on the holistic approach…especially the previously much-overlooked side of sports involving mental health and management. There’s still so much information and knowledge to be gained.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Rewster said:

I’d love to know a little bit more about Jon Sr’s training methods. I don’t know any details, but it seems to me that he’s obviously doing something right.

If anyone that has any information that they’d be willing to share privately and confidentially (i.e. written plan, home exercise program, nutritional assessment and any supplements, seasonal/time of the year protocols, etc) please feel free to DM me.

There’s a ton of newer sport-specific training methods centered on the holistic approach…especially the previously much-overlooked side of sports involving mental health and management. There’s still so much information and knowledge to be gained.

I think a lot of it has to do with two things, genetics and the fact that they have their own refrigerated rink! 

11 hours ago, zam said:

From Western PA
Played,PPE 14U,15U,16U,
Invited to NTDP tryout 
Drafted USHL
Boston University Commit
Drafted 3rd round NHL

Who gets the credit?

Edited by Icebucket