So it starts

21 minutes ago, hockeyisgreat said:

Wow I'm so confused. I can understand if a school or PIAA shut down all fall sports. It sounds like you folks are saying that they will shut down only hockey.  Doesn't make sense as at best the hockey program gets a small amount of money from the school.  Am I missing the ulterior motive?

Trust me, there are some districts and private schools that get more than a small amount of money from the schools. 

2 hours ago, hockeyisgreat said:

Does any district fully fund the hockey program?  I'm not talking prep schools like Shady Side.

NA if I’m not mistaken. Just got this text, has anyone seen this yet ? It should be all over the news, why isn’t it ? 

https://www.wpxi.com/news/investigates/confidential-agreement-uncovered-allowed-car-show-happen-despite-covid-19-restrictions/BUN43H7C3ZDCJJ2MIIEYXRN6AU/

Someone has A LOT of explaining to do. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Danner27 said:

NA if I’m not mistaken. Just got this text, has anyone seen this yet ? It should be all over the news, why isn’t it ? 

https://www.wpxi.com/news/investigates/confidential-agreement-uncovered-allowed-car-show-happen-despite-covid-19-restrictions/BUN43H7C3ZDCJJ2MIIEYXRN6AU/

Someone has A LOT of explaining to do. 

Wow, this is a bad look for whoever made this deal.

30 minutes ago, aaaahockey said:

This is good news. 

Yes if I owned a rink and they tried to shut me down I would sure file a civil suit. Almost sounds to easy that the govt gave in so easy. I'm guessing that anyone willing to litigate can get a settlement as they don't want to test it.

32 minutes ago, aaaahockey said:

This is good news. 

I just don't understand the "This is good news" part. I say maybe it is but maybe it's not. To me... So many of these decisions are just a guess as far as the common citizen is concerned. Freedom is fantastic and I have always been so happy to live in a country that has more of it than any other country. I just feel that so many of us think that there is no way any government official should ever tell us what to do. In other words... Govern. Getting back to the subject of whether hockey will be postponed... I don't know if it will be & I don't know if it should be. It's hardly a black & white issue. It's complicated. I respect arguments on both sides, but I'm sick of the "better not take away any of my freedoms" stance. We have had many  a crisis where we had to give up things. We had wars where we made our young people not just give up their favorite activity... But forced them to fight and risk & give up their lives to save us all as a nation. I like hearing what people think will happen and hear input on possible solutions but can we just get past this hard-line freedom to take whatever risks we want stance?

2 hours ago, hockeyisgreat said:

Yes if I owned a rink and they tried to shut me down I would sure file a civil suit. Almost sounds to easy that the govt gave in so easy. I'm guessing that anyone willing to litigate can get a settlement as they don't want to test it.

The amount of tax money the car shows, classic car auctions and swap meets bring is huge, Personally I think it’s hypocritical. The majority of the people that attend are from out of state, nj & ny supposed “hot spots” I’ve been out there in my younger days. As for rinks, I’m sure I heard alpha was fined for a few weeks but didn’t care due to the amount of revenue coming in from selling ice.

“It’s a community event. It’s more than a sporting event. It’s more than football. It’s really where the communities come together. There’s a lot of pride — a lot of tradition,” says North Allegheny athletic director Bob Bozutto.

Uhh... You're making the case for those that do not want it to happen. We actually do not want people to come together. We want them to stay apart. Especially those from separate communities.

What he should have said:

High school sports are a very important to these kids. They provide life lessons and physical & mental well-being...yada...yada. We are also committed to providing a safe environment for these athletes and protecting the community against the spread of Covid-19. We are willing to work with county health officials to put the proper protocols in place to make this happen.

Edited by Quinlan2020

7 hours ago, Quinlan2020 said:

I just don't understand the "This is good news" part. I say maybe it is but maybe it's not. To me... So many of these decisions are just a guess as far as the common citizen is concerned. Freedom is fantastic and I have always been so happy to live in a country that has more of it than any other country. I just feel that so many of us think that there is no way any government official should ever tell us what to do. In other words... Govern. Getting back to the subject of whether hockey will be postponed... I don't know if it will be & I don't know if it should be. It's hardly a black & white issue. It's complicated. I respect arguments on both sides, but I'm sick of the "better not take away any of my freedoms" stance. We have had many  a crisis where we had to give up things. We had wars where we made our young people not just give up their favorite activity... But forced them to fight and risk & give up their lives to save us all as a nation. I like hearing what people think will happen and hear input on possible solutions but can we just get past this hard-line freedom to take whatever risks we want stance?

There is never a reason to give up one’s freedoms.

39 minutes ago, Quinlan2020 said:

“It’s a community event. It’s more than a sporting event. It’s more than football. It’s really where the communities come together. There’s a lot of pride — a lot of tradition,” says North Allegheny athletic director Bob Bozutto.

Uhh... You're making the case for those that do not want it to happen. We actually do not want people to come together. We want them to stay apart. Especially those from separate communities.

What he should have said:

High school sports are a very important to these kids. They provide life lessons and physical & mental well-being...yada...yada. We are also committed to providing a safe environment for these athletes and protecting the community against the spread of Covid-19. We are willing to work with county health officials to put the proper protocols in place to make this happen.

What case is there to making with the people who don’t want it to happen?  Their stance is pretty well set. 

Edited by BeaverFalls

22 minutes ago, aaaahockey said:

The community coming together didn't necessarily mean physically.   It meant that's the tie that holds community pride together. That was a straw man, fear mongering argument. 

That could very well be the case, but high school football will bring people together physically. That's a guarantee. You know people will be streaming the games and having neighborhood watch parties. The adults will be more likely to mess things up for youth sports than the kids. At least hockey isn't quite as popular so that stuff won't go on as much.

I was just told of a school in Allegheny county that will not have fall sports regardless what PIAA says tomorrow. The super intendant along with the school board are citing reasons such as - the kids are not full time in school, it’s to dangerous, they don’t want athletes picking up covid and bring it to the school (hybrid attendance). Possible vaccine by January. The hockey club was specifically noted during this zoom meeting, the school board gives the the club money, they feel hockey has more close contact than any sport. It will be interesting to see if this comes true. if one school pulls this, I’m sure a few others will follow. 

1 hour ago, Danner27 said:

I was just told of a school in Allegheny county that will not have fall sports regardless what PIAA says tomorrow. The super intendant along with the school board are citing reasons such as - the kids are not full time in school, it’s to dangerous, they don’t want athletes picking up covid and bring it to the school (hybrid attendance). Possible vaccine by January. The hockey club was specifically noted during this zoom meeting, the school board gives the the club money, they feel hockey has more close contact than any sport. It will be interesting to see if this comes true. if one school pulls this, I’m sure a few others will follow. 

Hockey has more contact than any sport? What a laugh. 

Sounds more like some people want to punish the kids because they're not having regular school. 

5 hours ago, Danner27 said:

So what are they waiting for?  Do they want publicity with their decision?  Why put kids through practice, conditioning etc if they are just going to shut it down. This whole thing is so political and sad,  Now I heard they are not confident in a Vaccine till next summer. Wiping out a full year of learning. (online is just not the same) Wiping out a full year of sports.  I guarantee that some kids will lose out on athletic scholarships if all the shutdowns continue. 

13 hours ago, aaaahockey said:

https://tribhssn.triblive.com/allegheny-county-health-department-offers-to-assist-wpial-regarding-50-person-limit/

Also good news - the county willing to have reasonable conversations it seems. 

Per hockey still this has no bearing because it is the state with the 25 person indoor limit.  So nothing changes unless the PIAA decision applies pressure to up the limit to 50 statewide indoors.  This article only helps remove the county imposed additional mandates with the state still being at 250 there.

6 hours ago, nemesis8679 said:

Hockey has more contact than any sport? What a laugh. 

Sounds more like some people want to punish the kids because they're not having regular school. 

yes, this sounds like the motive to me. I was told this school has a fair amount of teachers that are not happy kids are going back for hybrid learning along with some full time In school. Sounds like between the admin, board & teachers they are just looking for any reason to go 100% online. Using sports may help their agenda. We will hear what happens soon I suppose, when are most HS suppose to fo back ? 

1 hour ago, Danner27 said:

yes, this sounds like the motive to me. I was told this school has a fair amount of teachers that are not happy kids are going back for hybrid learning along with some full time In school. Sounds like between the admin, board & teachers they are just looking for any reason to go 100% online. Using sports may help their agenda. We will hear what happens soon I suppose, when are most HS suppose to fo back ? 

Why the unwillingness to name what school district you are talking about?  Maybe if the parents know they might be willing to put pressure on the school board. Most parents I know want their kids to play sports this fall.

5 minutes ago, hockeyisgreat said:

Why the unwillingness to name what school district you are talking about?  Maybe if the parents know they might be willing to put pressure on the school board. Most parents I know want their kids to play sports this fall.

You should probably say Most parents I know that have student athletes want their kids to play sports this fall. I would say most parents that do not have student athletes do not want it to happen. 

24 minutes ago, hockeyisgreat said:

Because I do not know this to be 100% true, there is always three sides to every story in a situation like this. the information was expressed to me by a friend at this school. I trust what she had to say. No need to name the school, if it’s true everyone will know in a week or so. I’ve heard similar stories out of two other school hockey programs, that’s is why I put the information out there. 

32 minutes ago, Quinlan2020 said:

You should probably say Most parents I know that have student athletes want their kids to play sports this fall. I would say most parents that do not have student athletes do not want it to happen. 

My son does not play for his school and I still want all fall and winter sports to happen.